Today's camp notes from Chris Brown

JoeF

The article on BB.com made it sound like JP was coming along, but there is something else that should be said.  If Holcomb is the starter, I would prefer he make boring plays and get first downs/touchdowns and win the game than be flashy and still have us lose.  Winning is the goal and I don't care who the quarterback is, or how boring they play.  If they get the job done, that's what counts.

686136[/snapback]

Problem is Holcomb's "boring" play includes check-downs to a receiver 2 yards past the line of scrimmage on 3rd and 10. Don't get a lot of first downs/touchdowns that way...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somehow, no matter how hard I try - and I admit it's not very hard, I just cannot picture Kelly Holcomb with The Bills down by two scores in the 4th quarter, arguing with the coach to stay in the game on 4th and Forever for one last shot at winning - and having the coach reverse his decision and sending him back in.

Holcomb has been the safest.  Boring!

686121[/snapback]

sometimes "boring" wins championships.

Bob Griese Dolphins

Trant Dilfer Ravens

Brad Johnson Bucs (of course that was before he had Mike Williams protecting him)

sometimes "boring" wins championships.

Bob Griese Dolphins

Trant Dilfer Ravens

Brad Johnson Bucs  (of course that was before he had Mike Williams protecting him)

686231[/snapback]

You better have a top-2 defense, then. :(

I read a news article at the TBD home page and it says that Holcomb has played the best so far (zero INT's).  I'm pulling for JP to take charge but if he fails then it has to be Nall to lead us.

686117[/snapback]

Come to think of it, I've never seen a 6 inch pass intercepted.

We've repeatedly been killed by Butler designating JP the starter and went back on his word to give Flutie a fair shot.

By Ralph using his owners perogative to give the job to JP prior to our last playoff loss based on the Bills rolling over a Colts team which had given up.

686156[/snapback]

This old ranting and raving just seems to get more and more illogical with time. :(

Come to think of it, I've never seen a 6 inch pass intercepted.

686254[/snapback]

I think I did once. It was a long time ago, Panthers vs. Jets. Shovel pass picked off, returned for a TD, and it was the first win in franchise history.

Problem is Holcomb's "boring" play includes check-downs to a receiver 2 yards past the line of scrimmage on 3rd and 10.  Don't get a lot of first downs/touchdowns that way...

686175[/snapback]

Yet the offense seemed to do far better with him as the QB.

Somehow, no matter how hard I try - and I admit it's not very hard, I just cannot picture Kelly Holcomb with The Bills down by two scores in the 4th quarter, arguing with the coach to stay in the game on 4th and Forever for one last shot at winning - and having the coach reverse his decision and sending him back in.

686181[/snapback]

Maybe so, but I haven't seen JP establish himself as any more of a leader in the eyes of his teammates.

Chris Brown's notes from bb.com. Jauron press conference is also up. Nice recovery from Youboty.....

Ashton Youboty made up for a mistake in coverage Saturday when he bit on a double move going against Andre Davis and got beat for a would-be touchdown.

Going against Davis again he did not bite and ran stride for stride with him down the field and broke up the pass, earning praise from defensive backs coach George Catavolos.

Ko Simpson had an interception in the deep middle off of Craig Nall intended for Lee Evans.

Rookie free agent DE Ryan Neill had a fumble recovery.

Anthony Thomas looked pretty good in his first camp as did Tutan Reyes. Thomas was smooth making catches out of the backfield and is five to 10 pounds lighter than he was when he played for Dick Jauron in Chicago. He's right around 220.

Brad Cieslak is getting a strong look at tight end and is high in the rotation, often right behind projected starter Robert Royal.

Sam Aiken made his share of catches in this camp.

Coach Jauron said the Bills do not plan to scrimmage anybody as part of training camp this summer. He said he's never done it as a head coach and would prefer to stay on campus at St. John Fisher and focus on his team.

---

686004[/snapback]

I like that Cieslak is getting a look at the #2 tight end. I think we are going to be pleased with this guy as our backup tight end.

Yet the offense seemed to do far better with him as the QB.

686277[/snapback]

As you would expect with a veteran vs. a guy who has played a 1/2 season's worth of games. Gotta look a tthe bigger picture IMO.

Tough to throw an INT when your longest pass goes 3 yards in the air on a checkdown. holcomb = RJ

686144[/snapback]

And to take that one step further on of the things I noticed with Holcomb's play is that the passes ARE SO CLOSE to the LOS that defenders play up....thus NEGATING OUR RUNNING GAME.....

In order to use WIllis effectively...we have got to start spreading defenders out a bit so we can create running lanes.....

Jesus it was like watching Doug Flutie all over again (minus the mobility)

Holcomb's 4 INT game against the Jets is the LAST time I wanted to see him as a Bills starter.  There's no upside with him.  None.  I'd rather go with Losman to see what's there, and then turn to Nall.

686139[/snapback]

agreed!

Maybe so, but I haven't seen JP establish himself as any more of a leader in the eyes of his teammates.

686278[/snapback]

Fair enough, but we have seen Holcomb crap the bed.

If he's the answer, then the question is "Who's going to QB The Bills to a 4-12 season?"

Frankly, I could care if JP ever becomes a great QB. He might not need to be to have this team succeed. I don't think he's been given a decent shot, but that's beside the point. If he can't cut it, so be it. Bring in the next strong-armed wonder. But one thing is indisputable - Kelly Holcomb is not a QB that any team should want to have as their #1.

He'll be respected if he outplays Holcomb and Nall. That will solve the leadership problem. Anointing him all over again won't solve it. That being said, it was ridiculous not letting him play those last two games. But this season isn't lost yet.