Fix-a-Flat

To answer your questions in order:

Yes.

Incredibly well, although if you have a larger vehicle, two cans may be needed.

They tell you to get the tire changed ASAP, but i drove on a fix-a-flat repaired tire for over a year.

Ruin the tire? Don't know. Something about wanting to tell the mechanic that there's fix a flat in there, I guess its a frigging mess to change the tire afterwards.

It saved me one morning big time. Won't leave home without it.

I keep in can in the truck, it works .. Does'nt ruin the tire, and 50% of the time the tire will lose air again at some point.. With fix a flat and a compressed air tank, you should be able to keep delivering the mail without having to stop at the gas station.

What they said...except someone should mention: It depends on why your tire is flat.

If it's slashed, crushed, if the wheel is screwed...well, so are you. For a puncture (except for a sidewall, maybe) it works very well. And...really...fix the tire as soon as you can.

I've never had to use it for a flat, but I've put some in for slow leaks, and it has worked well. Supposedly a full can can have an affect on the tire alignment if you ride on it long.

... thanks to all ! ... need to invest in a REAL spare ! ... hate driving around on those emergency tires ... you gotta love seeing people drive around on those emergencys like it was a normal tire ! ... especially at 55mph on the thruway ! ... thanks again ! ... tom !

... thanks to all ! ... need to invest in a REAL spare ! ... hate driving around on those emergency tires ... you gotta love seeing people drive around on those emergencys like it was a normal tire ! ... especially at 55mph on the thruway ! ... thanks again ! ... tom !

686018[/snapback]

You got that right. In the past (in various cars) I've had half my trunk taken up with a full-size spare because the only official spot for a spare was for one of those emergency spares. I hate those damn things!

Oh...and a couple of times, I've been that guy driving on the emergency tire like it was a normal tire. Sometimes the situation helps to dictate (or at least influence) the situation.

... does it really work ? ... how well ? ... for how long ? ... does it ruin the tire ? ... delivering for the post office gets you a lot of flats ! ... tom

685972[/snapback]

One thing I've heard is that the propellant in Fix-a-Flat is actually flammable, and there's a not insignificant risk of ignition by a spark when a mechanic removes the tire. I don't actually know that (i.e. I don't have a can of the crap in front of me to check what the propellant actually is), and I suspect if it were true they would have changed their propellant a long while ago anyhow...but there you go. Do with the rumor what you will.

As mentioned above, fix-a-flat works great depending on your situation. If you have a small puncture (less than or equal to a roofing nail) and its not in the sidewall, a can will be fine. It's a temporary fix though, if you have a hole in your tire, use the can to get you to your next paycheck. Also, don't forget to tell the mechanic for the aformentioned residue.

I have a can in my wife's tire. it had a slow leak (lose about 10psi over a month's period, just enough to set off the dashboard indicator). I put that stuff in about 6 months ago and its held the same psi as the day i put it in... just checked yesterday in fact. My problem is ok to go for the long haul, but if you do have a nail, i'd get it taken care of ASAP.

In short, yes, fix a flat is a great $4.00 investment if you have a flat tire.

When the tire with the Fix-a-Flat is rotated is will be a pain. Drove to Buffalo from C'bus OH and the dang thing would get a wooble at 60. Get to Buffalo and the Saturn dealer knew right away what the issue was. Throws off the balance.

One thing I've heard is that the propellant in Fix-a-Flat is actually flammable, and there's a not insignificant risk of ignition by a spark when a mechanic removes the tire.  I don't actually know that (i.e. I don't have a can of the crap in front of me to check what the propellant actually is), and I suspect if it were true they would have changed their propellant a long while ago anyhow...but there you go.  Do with the rumor what you will.

686033[/snapback]

Fix-A-Flat (the official Pennzoil brand) used to contain propane and butane propellants, but is supposed to have been replaced with a non-flammable propellant around 1999. There are other brands out there that may still contain flammable propellants. I remember one can I had, can't remember the brand but it was cheap, included a sticker that you were supposed to place on the tire near the valve stem, so someone working on the tire would hopefully notice it. It's just safe that if you ever have any tire work done, no matter what brand you've used, to let the techs know that a fix a flat type product was used.

When the tire with the Fix-a-Flat is rotated is will be a pain.  Drove to Buffalo from C'bus OH and the dang thing would get a wooble at 60.  Get to Buffalo and the Saturn dealer knew right away what the issue was.  Throws off the balance.

I used it and never had that problem. The trick I assume is to TRULY drive the car 1 mile at 10 MPH (or whatever they suggest) after you pump it into the tire, to evenly coat the inside of it.

One thing I've heard is that the propellant in Fix-a-Flat is actually flammable, and there's a not insignificant risk of ignition by a spark when a mechanic removes the tire.  I don't actually know that (i.e. I don't have a can of the crap in front of me to check what the propellant actually is), and I suspect if it were true they would have changed their propellant a long while ago anyhow...but there you go.  Do with the rumor what you will.

686033[/snapback]

Only one thing to add...the can has a sticker that you can put on the stem after you inflate the tire. The sticker is a warning to the tire change dude, so you don't have to remember to tell him...

OK, two things to add. I once had a can discharge in the car and it made an ungodly mess. At the time, I lived in the Central Valley of California, and one day it just got too damn hot. Not something you have to worry about in NY, but if you live in the desert watch out.

686018[/snapback]

Who drives 55 on the thruway?

I've used it with success. The cans with the hose seem best. It's a good idea to carry one if those inexpensive plug-in compressors to first get some air into the tire, and as mentioned, drive about to spread the latex.

Note: a nail, screw, etc that is imbedded in the far outside tread block next to the sidewall is dangerous, even though it might not be leaking air. As the tire travels down the road, the thing flexes back and forth along with the sidewall, and eventually causes a catastrophic blowout of the sidewall - at speed.

Driving in a black drywall screw into the outermost tread block at a shallow angle to the sidewall is a popular anti-management vandalism in certain trade union circles. Even if it doesn't kill you, you will have to buy a new tire.