Kinda blue

Tomorrow my 17 year old Samantha is taking her SATs.  She is a smart girl and I know she will do well.  She wants to go to school in New York, and it saddens me to think that soon she will be going away.  It seems like just yesterday she was a sweet curly-haired little toddler.  Now she has grown into a lovely young lady who is getting ready to go to her prom and thinking about college.  Where does the time go?  She is a good kid who doesn't give me any problems (despite the usual annoying teenage things like talking on the phone all the time, being sloppy, etc.)  I had so much fun with my children when they were small, those were the happiest years of my life.  Those of you with little ones -- treasure these years, because they will be gone before you know it.

Also my 48th birthday is tomorrow.  It's hard to believe that in two years I'll be the BIG FIVE OH!  When you get to be middle-aged you tend to look back not only at the things you've done, but things you wish you would have done, and it's kind of depressing.  But in some countries, many people don't even have the privilege of reaching fifty because of war, disease, hunger, etc.

So even though I am getting old, ancient, decrepit, etc., at least I'M NOT DEAD! :lol:

684920[/snapback]

I can tell you that up until the day i left for college my mom was a wreck, often times sitting in my dorm i wondered if she was upset.... until i came home for the first time. I walked in the door and it was if i never lived there lol, i guess i was expecting some grand parade or something but my point is that i know you love your daughter but you will discover new things once she is off to college. I think parents dread the day their kids leave but then when they do they realize it isnt so bad and they can do more things in their life. Also about your birthday, happy birthday btw, same mom in this story but i honestly believe after she turned 50 she has been more happy than ive ever seen her before. I dont know why, and i dont know how, but realize that once you hit that, you made it through the toughest years of your life, you raised what sounds like a fabulous daughter who is going to be successful, and now you can just relax :w00t:

Bullshidt. Total.

Mellissa, I hate life too. But it's my choice to be a victim. Mostly because I've gotten lazy. I just don't care, anymore.

It's your choice too, if you actually care about it, quit telling us about how your life sucks and do something about it. If not, quit talking about it. It bores people. People I know are bored by how much my life sucks.

I really don't give a rats ass about any of it. But, you do. If it's really important to you, find some real people to hang with and kiss this off.

I'll be evil enough to say "Big Deal" that you've turned 48. So what?

You have chosen to be a victim and nothing is going to change that.

Nothing you haven't heard before. You know that's true. When was the last time you didn't shut someone off for saying that?

But, you've probably alienated what friends you have and that's why you're here, on a football board, to get stroked with a lot of "Happy Birthday, we love you!".

No, I don't love you. I don't know you. You're "Happy, Happy Birthday" is up to you.

I think they are well over rated.

685430[/snapback]

There's a scene in "Leap of Faith" where the local sheriff gets the goods on the holy roller evangelist, Brother Jonas Nightingale, who set up his traveling tent ministry in the sheriff's unemployed midwest town. In front of a tent full of very poor people turning to the evangelist as a last resort, the sheriff starts ripping off the evangelist's misdeeds, including the number of times Jonas was arrested for stealing and using drugs.

Faced with an audience suddenly losing faith in him, the evangelist says quite truthfully to the audience, "He is right. That's all true. But who better to warn you and help you find your way back to salvation than a person who was in the grips of hell himself?"

Amen, Brother Jonas. Preach on. :w00t:

Tomorrow my 17 year old Samantha is taking her SATs.  She is a smart girl and I know she will do well.  She wants to go to school in New York, and it saddens me to think that soon she will be going away.  It seems like just yesterday she was a sweet curly-haired little toddler.  Now she has grown into a lovely young lady who is getting ready to go to her prom and thinking about college.  Where does the time go?  She is a good kid who doesn't give me any problems (despite the usual annoying teenage things like talking on the phone all the time, being sloppy, etc.)  I had so much fun with my children when they were small, those were the happiest years of my life.  Those of you with little ones -- treasure these years, because they will be gone before you know it.

Also my 48th birthday is tomorrow.  It's hard to believe that in two years I'll be the BIG FIVE OH!  When you get to be middle-aged you tend to look back not only at the things you've done, but things you wish you would have done, and it's kind of depressing.  But in some countries, many people don't even have the privilege of reaching fifty because of war, disease, hunger, etc.

So even though I am getting old, ancient, decrepit, etc., at least I'M NOT DEAD! :(

684920[/snapback]

So what! It is just a number. What can you do about it? Nothing!!! 20, 30 and 40 bothered me more, although 60 will suck. I turned 50 a week ago, got my motorcycle permit Friday, something I promised myself at 40. Too many obligations back then, my 2 sons very young at the time. Now one is 21, the other just about 18. My wife and I re-discovered clubs and bars again, and go out every weekend. Many band take pic's and post them on their sites, we're all over a lot of them. It's great and shows you still know how to party. I share them with my "old" friends at work every Monday. I know deep down they're jealous.

As far as kids, well my oldest is out of school, working, but at home :( Still, a good person. My youngest just put a twist in my life I never saw coming. Him and his band friends put a demo together, and who would have thought, but a label picked it up. In one month they start a tour of the US, at a bunch of clubs, promoting themselves. I'm not sure I like it, but what an opportunity

So what!  It is just a number.  What can you do about it?  Nothing!!!  20, 30 and 40 bothered me more, although 60 will suck.  I turned 50 a week ago, got my motorcycle permit Friday, something I promised myself at 40.  Too many obligations back then, my 2 sons very young at the time.  Now one is 21, the other just about 18.  My wife and I re-discovered clubs and bars again, and go out every weekend.  Many band take pic's and post them on their sites, we're all over a lot of them.  It's great and shows you still know how to party.  I share them with my "old" friends at work every Monday.  I know deep down they're jealous.

As far as kids, well my oldest is out of school, working, but at home  :(  Still, a good person.  My youngest just put a twist in my life I never saw coming.  Him and his band friends put a demo together, and who would have thought, but a label picked it up.  In one month they start a tour of the US, at a bunch of clubs, promoting themselves.  I'm not sure I like it, but what an opportunity

685791[/snapback]

Thanks for all the nice comments. And also the not-so-nice comments; they've given me something to think about.

About your son being in a band -- That's very exciting! Once they become rich and famous they can buy mom and dad a mansion somewhere. Are they coming to Philly? If so, I'll go see them, as long as they don't play country or metal.

Actually I had a very nice birthday, even though I have a bad cold. It was a beautiful day, the kind that always lifts my spirits. Yeah, sometimes I get depressed -- don't we all --but I usually get over it.

And no, I don't hate life.

Thanks for all the nice comments.  And also the not-so-nice comments; they've given me something to think about.

About your son being in a band -- That's very exciting!  Once they become rich and famous they can buy mom and dad a mansion somewhere.  Are they coming to Philly?  If so, I'll go see them, as long as they don't play country or metal.

Actually I had a very nice birthday, even though I have a bad cold.  It was a beautiful day, the kind that always lifts my spirits.  Yeah, sometimes I get depressed -- don't we all --but I usually get over it.

And no, I don't hate life.

685834[/snapback]

Sorry I missed your B-day Melissa. So, Happy Belated Fuc#ing Birthday.

Your daughter is going off to college soon...i assume she's your last at home now? If so, your 2nd life is just beginning. You've lived a life of great responsibility and constraint...well, go a little crazy! Once she's off you can take care of Melissa for a change. I'd start planning my first evil move, if I were you.

Bullshidt. Total.

Mellissa, I hate life too. But it's my choice to be a victim. Mostly because I've gotten lazy. I just don't care, anymore.

It's your choice too, if you actually care about it, quit telling us about how your life sucks and do something about it. If not, quit talking about it. It bores people. People I know are bored by how much my life sucks.

I really don't give a rats ass about any of it. But, you do. If it's really important to you, find some real people to hang with and kiss this off.

I'll be evil enough to say "Big Deal" that you've turned 48. So what?

You have chosen to be a victim and nothing is going to change that.

Nothing you haven't heard before. You know that's true. When was the last time you didn't shut someone off for saying that?

But, you've probably alienated what friends you have and that's why you're here, on a football board, to get stroked with a lot of "Happy Birthday, we love you!".

No, I don't love you. I don't know you. You're "Happy, Happy Birthday" is up to you.

I think they are well over rated.

685430[/snapback]

It has never been possible for us to reconcile infinite love with finite existence. Our reach fails. It is possible for us to hold memories. Lucky us, actually...somehow having the need for continuity planted within.