its finially starting to sink in

with all this talk about buffalos "reaches" in the just completed draft.....i wonder when opposing head coaches have to start game planning for the bills this year they realize that trying to throw on the bills is going to be very difficult.first off the bills added larry triplett and drafted two defensive tackles to aid tim anderson in stopping the run.so when the bills are stuffing the run and the opposing quarterback is trying to either throw to his tight end or wideout the receiver will either get his head taken off by dontel whitner or ko simpson or the "lost a step " troy vincent will be in the perfect coverage to intercept the ball! i mean adding these kids to a team with nate clements,terrence mcgee and the free agent matt bowen,this secondary is gonna be killing receivers.i am sure london fletcher,and takeo will set the tone and teach these new additions how to play defense the right way.i was really opposed to the bills hiring dick jauron ,but it is very refreshing to see this team use the coaching staff,scouting staff and the gm to all be on the same page.its also nice to see that the bills now have some sort of a"game plan" or "philosophy" that i am sure will give the bills a new identity as a football team!........good luck to all the new draft picks and go bills in"06

Great post. This is what people should be talking about. I totally agree with this assessment. The Bills have lacked identity over the past few years. They've said they want to be run oriented, but they weren't and that was the big problem with Mularkey. Jauron knows defense and believes that the old adage is true. Defense wins championships, and what we have is a new and nasty defense. They are really going to cause some people trouble throwing the ball, and once we can force a team to try to run against us, the game plan is that much easier.

The key question though is how well this team does stopping the run with fast relatively light guys like Triplett, Anderson, and Mccargo at DT rather than an enormous run stuffer in the Big Ted mold or what Ngata was alleged to be.

We deliberately are going with 300 pounders or less across the DL rather than having at least one rock who tips the scales at 340.

It can work with the lighter faster athletes but it will be interesting to see.

Our DBs look forbodeing but unless we stop the run our LBs will need to pinch up opening the middle of the field to exploitation and unless these quick DL guys pressure the QB (not necessarily sacks just pressure will work as opposing QBs will have no time to wait for his receivers to break free of our strong DBs) it will be a long day for even talented DBs.

We'll see.

Guest dog14787
with all this talk about buffalos "reaches" in the just completed draft.....i wonder when opposing head coaches have to start game planning for the bills this year they realize that trying to throw on the bills is going to be very difficult.first off the bills added larry triplett and drafted two defensive tackles to aid tim anderson in stopping the run.so when the bills are stuffing the run and the opposing quarterback is trying to either throw to his tight end or wideout the receiver will either get his head taken off by dontel whitner or ko simpson or the "lost a step " troy vincent will be in the perfect coverage to intercept the ball! i mean adding these kids to a team with nate clements,terrence mcgee and the free agent matt bowen,this secondary is gonna be killing receivers.i am sure london fletcher,and takeo will set the tone and teach these new additions how to play defense the right way.i was really opposed to the bills hiring dick jauron ,but it is very refreshing to see this team use the coaching staff,scouting staff and the gm to all be on the same page.its also nice to see that the bills now have some sort of a"game plan" or "philosophy" that i am sure will give the bills a new identity as a football team!........good luck to all the new draft picks and go bills in"06

684116[/snapback]

:lol:

Levy's bend but don't break mentality from his coaching years is reflecting in his draft .

Your Right!!! We will be real nasty to throw he ball against!!!!! :lol:

Mcghee and Clements are going to be lighting up the scoreboard for the defense!!!!

Busted Plays!!! QB's being slammed down hard!!!! :angry:

Takeo slinginging bodies around like rag dolls!!!!! :blush:

Sorry Guy's , getting a little carried away there!!!

The key question though is how well this team does stopping the run with fast relatively light guys like Triplett, Anderson, and Mccargo at DT rather than an enormous run stuffer in the Big Ted mold or what Ngata was alleged to be.

We deliberately are going with 300 pounders or less across the DL rather than having at least one rock who tips the scales at 340.

It can work with the lighter faster athletes but it will be interesting to see.

Our DBs look forbodeing but unless we stop the run our LBs will need to pinch up opening the middle of the field to exploitation and unless these quick DL guys pressure the QB (not necessarily sacks just pressure will work as opposing QBs will have no time to wait for his receivers to break free of our strong DBs) it will be a long day for even talented DBs.

We'll see.

684141[/snapback]

Having lighter faster players imo can be a benefit as the season goes on. My big beef with guys like adams, pat williams, ted washington etc is that they seem to tire out easily not only during the course of games but more so as the season wears on their play generally regresses. I think with the emphasis on a swarming defense we'll be able to attack the backfield instead of hoping someone clogs the lane. The cover 2 might not be the most full proof way of stoping the run but thats not really what it's designed for. Backfield pressure and turnovers is what it's based on. I like the team defense concept and the old addege speed kills. If we struck on these draft picks, I think we can have a hell of a defense that overall will be better then what we've seen here previousily.

Run defense will be improved simply by the elimination of Jerry Grey's all out blitz scheme which left huge gaps in the defense. Cadilac Williams is still smiling about the huge lanes we gave him to breeze through.

You know better than to compliment the secondary without mentioning how bad the Dline is first. From now on, all posts about our secondary must start with "our dline sucks". Maybe this will eliminate those who keep pointing this out in every damn post.

Matt Bowen=Chuck Cecil

684166[/snapback]

Is that comparison for real? Cecil is one of my favorite players ever. I loved that SI cover with Cecil with blood all over his face which said "Is Chuck Cecil too violent for the NFL?"

You know better than to compliment the secondary without mentioning how bad the Dline is first. From now on, all posts about our secondary must start with "our dline sucks". Maybe this will eliminate those who keep pointing this out in every damn post.

684318[/snapback]

Sucking in the trenches and losing games are not unrelated to each other. The Bills have done a lot of both recently in case you haven't noticed.

Sucking in the trenches and losing games are not unrelated to each other.  The Bills have done a lot of both recently in case you haven't noticed.

684324[/snapback]

You missed the point of my post. The point is, it seems whenever someone wants to say something good about our secondary, someone is quick to point out our dline sucks, which has nothing to do with the original post.

You missed the point of my post. The point is, it seems whenever someone wants to say something good about our secondary, someone is quick to point out our dline sucks, which has nothing to do with the original post.

684326[/snapback]

And how they know that our defensive line sucks already is truly amazing. They saw the future and Triplett and McCargo just couldn't cut it. Bummer.

684326[/snapback]

I think I understand the point, I just don't understand the significance of it. Having a good secondary is nice. Some of us remember a secondary made up of Winfield, Clements, and Milloy (the pre-'05 version that wasn't injured and over the hill) as pretty good. They didn't help us win a single game that mattered without the help of a pass-rush; or an offense that could score points once in a while.