Moussaui

I didn't purposely spell his name wrong but don't care enough to look it up either.

What do you all think of his life sentence?

Did he win and prove that we are a weak willed nation?

Did we win by proving we stick to our principles no matter the crime?

Did we win by denying him his desire to be martyred?

IMO, he didn't win, but we lost. I'm no big fan of the death penalty. I have mixed feelings about it. Also IMO, if there is a case where it should be used, this is it. Even if 9/11 had been thwarted, this merits death. For this and other reasons I think our court system has been shown as mamby pamby.

What are our principles? To try to see gray everywhere? To make sure he gets to speak at his own sentencing? To make sure we hear "both sides" of a story, even when there is only one? Although I feel pretty strongly he should be put to death, that isn't even my own number one concern. Why did this trial take so long? It's 2006. The attacks were in 2001. Why are we compelled to hear every nuance of every angle any idiot can dream up? Why are his lawyers on C-Span claiming this is a victory for everyone? He wants them dead too.

I don't like it. What do you think?

I didn't purposely spell his name wrong but don't care enough to look it up either.

What do you all think of his life sentence?

Did he win and prove that we are a weak willed nation?

Did we win by proving we stick to our principles no matter the crime?

Did we win by denying him his desire to be martyred?

IMO, he didn't win, but we lost.  I'm no big fan of the death penalty.  I have mixed feelings about it.  Also IMO, if there is a case where it should be used, this is it.  Even if 9/11 had been thwarted, this merits death.  For this and other reasons I think our court system has been shown as mamby pamby. 

What are our principles?  To try to see gray everywhere?  To make sure he gets to speak at his own sentencing?  To make sure we hear "both sides" of a story, even when there is only one?  Although I feel pretty strongly he should be put to death, that isn't even my own number one concern.  Why did this trial take so long?  It's 2006.  The attacks were in 2001.  Why are we compelled to hear every nuance of every angle any idiot can dream up?  Why are his lawyers on C-Span claiming this is a victory for everyone?  He wants them dead too.

I don't like it.  What do you think?

683424[/snapback]

I think denying him the pleasure of martyrdom and not granting him his desired legacy is the better punishment. In so doing, we rightly cast ourselves as above these monsters, monsters though they may be.

It's not weakness, it's not mercy.

I think denying him the pleasure of martyrdom and not granting him his desired legacy is the better punishment.  In so doing, we rightly cast ourselves as above these monsters, monsters though they may be.

It's not weakness, it's not mercy.

683439[/snapback]

It's not? Likely he WON'T be in general population. He's being spared the torment he deserves. Rightfully, he ought to be sent to gitmo and made to disappear....only to have the rest of his life spent in the most horrible tortures imaginable in order that he'll never be able to publicly proclaim himself a hero to his fellow followers of the "religion of peace".

It's not? Likely he WON'T be in general population. He's being spared the torment he deserves. Rightfully, he ought to be sent to gitmo and made to disappear....only to have the rest of his life spent in the most horrible tortures imaginable in order that he'll never be able to publicly proclaim himself a hero to his fellow followers of the "religion of peace".

683442[/snapback]

If we do that, either way the damage is done and he is a hero. Execution and his going suspiciously missing are no different in terms of what we project towards the Muslim world. You have to publicly take small steps like this to make those possibly sympathetic on the "other side" realize that the people in charge of them are the tyrants, not us, and that there's a third way outside of secular tyranny and religious tyranny. Any steps we take to the contrary (and we've taken many) only add to the Islamofascists' bulletin board, to use a football metaphor poorly. We're better; then let's prove it. I realize some might think we have nothing to prove, but 1) we've made plenty of mistakes and 2) in any case, being the best is something you have to prove daily.

EDIT: And don't mistake me for a total dove here, either: I heard some of the transcripts and they make me want blood. If it were my wife on one of those planes, that feeling would surely be intensified exponentially. All the same, I know that to act on those emotions would be to simply engage in their game, and that's a complete downward spiral.

Edited by RuntheDamnBall

I'm fine with not giving him the 10-15 years of death penalty appeals that would allow him to come into court time and time again and make a spectacle of himself and give him more quotes in the newspapers.

He was begging for the death penalty in serious Br'er Rabbit style.

Thirst for blood shouldn't cloud anyone's thought that he actually ended up with the worst possible pumishment for him - a life of solitude and anonymity in a supermax cell.

Because...?  :w00t:

683660[/snapback]

They are using the lahjik that he is a French citizen, so the French should control enforcement of his sentence. I am guessing that they think the U.S. sentence will be too tough on him.

They are using the lahjik that he is a French citizen, so the French should control enforcement of his sentence. I am guessing that they think the U.S. sentence will be too tough on him.

683669[/snapback]

I remember years ago when that American !@#$ got hisself caned in Singapore, and how everyone was on the State Department to keep Singapore from carrying out Singapore justice on an American citizen.

It was !@#$ing stupid logic back then, too. You do a crime in East Kjhjskristan, you pay the penalty in East Kjhjskristan, even if it's not a crime in your home country. Don't like it? Don't go to !@#$ing East Kjhjskristan.

If we do that, either way the damage is done and he is a hero.  Execution and his going suspiciously missing are no different in terms of what we project towards the Muslim world.  You have to publicly take small steps like this to make those possibly sympathetic on the "other side" realize that the people in charge of them are the tyrants, not us, and that there's a third way outside of secular tyranny and religious tyranny.  Any steps we take to the contrary (and we've taken many) only add to the Islamofascists' bulletin board, to use a football metaphor poorly.  We're better; then let's prove it.  I realize some might think we have nothing to prove, but 1) we've made plenty of mistakes and 2) in any case, being the best is something you have to prove daily.

EDIT: And don't mistake me for a total dove here, either: I heard some of the transcripts and they make me want blood.  If it were my wife on one of those planes, that feeling would surely be intensified exponentially.  All the same, I know that to act on those emotions would be to simply engage in their game, and that's a complete downward spiral.

683500[/snapback]

Ah, I see. Well, at the very least he should be sent to leavenworth and put into general population. Let him take the shank.

683669[/snapback]

Is it possible that a sentce for this @#% could be too harsh? Even in the eyes of France?

I'm a death penalty advocate, but in this case I think they made the right call. Don't give him his martyrdom. If he wants it that bad, let him hang himself in his cell.

683451[/snapback]

Dead on correct.

Living is the last thing this PoS wants. I hope he lives to a ripe old age and then rots in Hades for eternity. I can wait a few years for him to get his richly deserved "reward".