Billick confirmed on radio this morning

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess if this were to have happened, the bottom would have fell out of our world. :)

Just having fun. :)

I don't think that anybody questions whether or not the kid is good. Some just have a problem with loading up in the secondary, and trading away an early pick to do so.

I guess if this were to have happened, the bottom would have fell out of our world.  :)

Just having fun.  :)

I don't think that anybody questions whether or not the kid is good. Some just have a problem with loading up in the secondary, and trading away an early pick to do so.

679670[/snapback]

What did they "trade away" to get Whitner??

Nothing Dan. I was of course looking at how it all went down. I was happy to have the extra 3rd, thinking that another area of need could be addressed.

679689[/snapback]

Then what early pick did they trade away in order to load up on their secondary? Just trying to understand what you are saying...

Then what early pick did they trade away in order to load up on their secondary?  Just trying to understand what you are saying...

679699[/snapback]

Sorry, I thought I explained myself. :)

They picked DBs with 3 of their first 4 picks, and gave up a 3rd rounder in the process. Yes, I understand that the pick was given up to get the DT.

That said, I found the above to be not so great. This doesn't make me correct, nor am I a disciple of the draft "experts." I care about the Bills, not what writers/commentators think.

This draft can certainly turn out to be better than I think. All we can do is hope.

You know, so what if the Ravens took Whitner? Or Detriot? Where the Bills drafted him, he's going to have to be the next Ronnie Lott. I hope he is that good, but if he's just an average to slightly above average player that fills a hole in a particular defensive system, then one has to ask if he was truly the only player out there that could fill that hole. If Whitner was taken by somebody else, the Bills should've had some other option. The problem is this wrong-headed thinking that there were no other options and, especially, that there were no other needs on this team. We've been tearing Tom Donahoe a ragged new orifice for his luxury picks like Roscoe "Lil Big Man" only to see the new regime go for a pure cover-2 system safety.

Exactly. What people fail to understand is the value the Bills got from that pick. Donte Whitner will probably be an Antoine Winfield type of player -- very good player, borderline Pro Bowl level, critical component of the defense. If he plays at AW's level or better, I will be very happy.

However, Winfield was drafted with the 23rd overall pick and was PAID like the 23rd overall pick. We were able to retain his services for 5 years at a bargain price. Whitner, on the other hand, is a top 10 pick. A different value system applies.

You know, so what if the Ravens took Whitner?  Or Detriot?  Where the Bills drafted him, he's going to have to be the next Ronnie Lott.  I hope he is that good, but if he's just an average to slightly above average player that fills a hole in a particular defensive system, then one has to ask if he was truly the only player out there that could fill that hole.  If Whitner was taken by somebody else, the Bills should've had some other option.  The problem is this wrong-headed thinking that there were no other options and, especially, that there were no other needs on this team.  We've been tearing Tom Donahoe a ragged new orifice for his luxury picks like Roscoe "Lil Big Man" only to see the new regime go for a pure cover-2 system safety.

679715[/snapback]

Where the Bills drafted him, he's going to have to be the next Ronnie Lott. 

679715[/snapback]

Let me get this straight...three years from now if he's even 90% of what Polamalu is we'll worry about whether he was the #8 or #14 pick?

Sorry, I thought I explained myself.  :)

They picked DBs with 3 of their first 4 picks, and gave up a 3rd rounder in the process. Yes, I understand that the pick was given up to get the DT.

That said, I found the above to be not so great. This doesn't make me correct, nor am I a disciple of the draft "experts." I care about the Bills, not what writers/commentators think.

This draft can certainly turn out to be better than I think. All we can do is hope.

679711[/snapback]

I'm not totally down on this draft because it looks like the Bills picked up some good, albeit young, talent. Still, I'm not thrilled out of my mind by it. I didn't think the Bills secondary was what was letting the defense down last year. It wasn't playing great, but the problem was the front seven was way below par.

Exactly.  What people fail to understand is the value the Bills got from that pick.  Donte Whitner will probably be an Antoine Winfield type of player -- very good player, borderline Pro Bowl level, critical component of the defense. If he plays at AW's level or better, I will be very happy.

However, Winfield was drafted with the 23rd overall pick and was PAID like the 23rd overall pick.  We were able to retain his services for 5 years at a bargain price.  Whitner, on the other hand, is a top 10 pick.  A different value system applies.

679733[/snapback]

Totally agree. It's not the player, it's where he was picked. Poor value at that point (#8) in the draft to make that move

Let me get this straight...three years from now if he's even 90% of what Polamalu is we'll worry about whether he was the #8 or #14 pick?

679739[/snapback]

Right now, I don't know if Whitner can carry Polamalu's jock, let alone be as good as Polamalu.

Ignoring that, Whitner isn't going to be playing in the Steelers 3-4 system anyway. So the comparison is moot. They keep telling us they are going to be playing the Bucs defense. Quick, off the top of your head, who is the last top 10 drafted, Hall-of-Fame career, SS that's played in the Bucs cover-2?

679739[/snapback]

someone - i forget who - wrote here 2 days ago that "even if he turns out to be a hall of famer, it would have been the wrong pick." this simply shows that draftnikism has become a pox upon the house of football fandom.

You know, so what if the Ravens took Whitner?  Or Detriot?  Where the Bills drafted him, he's going to have to be the next Ronnie Lott.

679715[/snapback]

That doesn't make sense. So let's say Whitner comes in, plays great, becomes the face of our defense and leader, gets to a pro bowl, does everything we ask of him, but he's not quite in the Ronnie Lott(Who was the best safety ever) mold, but more in the Mike Brown type. Are you saying he won't be good enough because we drafted him #8? If he's anything like the above mentioned guys and holds his own, I don't think anyone would give a crap where he was drafted.

Right now, I don't know if Whitner can carry Polamalu's jock, let alone be as good as Polamalu.

Ignoring that, Whitner isn't going to be playing in the Steelers 3-4 system anyway.  So the comparison is moot.  They keep telling us they are going to be playing the Bucs defense.  Quick, off the top of your head, who is the last top 10 drafted, Hall-of-Fame career, SS that's played in the Bucs cover-2?

679752[/snapback]

if whitner turns out to be a great player, who freaking cares where he was drafted? get over it. if he ends up being a stud, the bills will be a better team, and no one will give a rat's ass whether we took him at 8 or 14 or 15.

You know, so what if the Ravens took Whitner?  Or Detriot?  Where the Bills drafted him, he's going to have to be the next Ronnie Lott.  I hope he is that good, but if he's just an average to slightly above average player that fills a hole in a particular defensive system, then one has to ask if he was truly the only player out there that could fill that hole.  If Whitner was taken by somebody else, the Bills should've had some other option.  The problem is this wrong-headed thinking that there were no other options and, especially, that there were no other needs on this team.  We've been tearing Tom Donahoe a ragged new orifice for his luxury picks like Roscoe "Lil Big Man" only to see the new regime go for a pure cover-2 system safety.

679715[/snapback]

Well...I don't know about Ronnie Lott...

I'll give the Kid a break and say Ed Reed...

I think there is a MASSIVE diiference in the Picks of Whitner and Parrish...Whitner is a Safety that fits the Cover-2, but I'm pretty sure with his whole package he could fit in on most Teams at Free or Strong...I think comparing Whitner to a "Luxury Pick" is a bit of a reach as well...This was a HUGE Need on this Roster, unless in fact you are a Coy Wire Fan...

But I do agree that Whitner better be REAL good...There is no question the Bills fell in love with the Kid...It should be interesting to compare Whitner's progress to Huff's in a few Years as well... :)

This was a HUGE Need on this Roster, unless in fact you are a Coy Wire Fan...

679759[/snapback]

You might be on to something....let's make it a requirement that anyone who has come out to say that they hated the Witner pick must put the following in their signature....

I AM A HUGE COY WIRE FAN!

Any takers? :)