Billick confirmed on radio this morning

I knew you'd pounce on that. But this team has holes across the board and is in no position to target specific positions in this draft. If this is New England or Pittsburgh we are talking about, then I would agree. But this is a team in rebuilding mode and needs to stockpile as much young talent as possible on both sides of the ball.

Who said DB and LE aren't needs? Read the post again. Is it so hard to read the whole sentense?  :)

"DE and LE are not the most important needs (S, OT, DT) of our team"

680042[/snapback]

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew you'd pounce on that. But this team has holes across the board and is in no position to target specific positions in this draft.  If this is New England or Pittsburgh we are talking about, then I would agree.  But this is a team in rebuilding mode and needs to stockpile as much young talent as possible on both sides of the ball.

680050[/snapback]

We have holes, some are big holes and some are small. Most people think OT/DT/S are big ones and DE/LB are small ones.

Our DE/LB are not big needs compared to OT/DT/S. Using a 1st round to draft a DE or LB doesn't help our team as much as draft a OT/DT/S, unless the player is Mario or Hawk.

HOly sh--, the Bills are gonna win the superbowl this year.....me agreeing with Dave McBride is akin to hell Freezing over  :)

I think Lurker is essentially making the same point above, too, so I agree with this general sentiment. If the guy ends up being as good as a Polamalu, then I think MOST of us will forget about where he was drafted - unless it's to think about what a great steal he was at the eighth pick :)

679777[/snapback]

More than likely it'll be the case that five years from now Leinart is a Pro Bowl QB for Arizona in a potent offense, Holcomb is out of the league, Losman and Nall are backup QBs on other teams, and the Bills' offense is still struggling. :lol:

We have holes, some are big holes and some are small. Most people think OT/DT/S are big ones and DE/LB are small ones.

Our DE/LB are not big needs compared to OT/DT/S. Using a 1st round to draft a DE or LB doesn't help our team as much as draft a OT/DT/S, unless the player is Mario or Hawk.

680056[/snapback]

According to Marv, the only ones we're not going to worry much about are the A-holes.

More than likely it'll be the case that five years from now Leinart is a Pro Bowl QB for Arizona in a potent offense, Holcomb is out of the league,  Losman and Nall are backup QBs on other teams, and the Bills' offense is still struggling.    :)

680066[/snapback]

Maybe then we can bring TD back :)

LOL!

680071[/snapback]

I guess if we ever need a hole assessment we can always rely on SyHuang :)

Ahem.  Bullsh--!  I have not once attacked Whitner.  Others want to derail the debate by making it look like an attack on Whitner, but putting words in people's mouths isn't the same as saying them.

679901[/snapback]

You wrote:

You know, so what if the Ravens took Whitner? Or Detriot? Where the Bills drafted him, he's going to have to be the next Ronnie Lott. I hope he is that good, but if he's just an average to slightly above average player that fills a hole in a particular defensive system, then one has to ask if he was truly the only player out there that could fill that hole.

So it's a bad pick unless he's the next Ronnie Lott?

To what standard would you hold Bunckley, Ngata, etc?

Would any pick at 8 have to be the best in history at his position? I'll accept that safety is not often a #8 position, but it was also a need spot for this team. The players available in the other need spots are where we should make comparisons.

Whitner will indeed be a good pick. Five years from now... everyone will see so. How terrible would it have been if we had dealt with Denver, they select Cutler... and Ravens take Whitner. The Bills would be smashing their collect heads against a wall... wondering why oh why they passed on the player they have been coveting for the past several months... in order to pick a person they really didn't want and another who chances are would be camp fodder.

I'm not totally down on this draft because it looks like the Bills picked up some good, albeit young, talent.  Still, I'm not thrilled out of my mind by it.  I didn't think the Bills secondary was what was letting the defense down last year.  It wasn't playing great, but the problem was the front seven was way below par.

679740[/snapback]

What did the front seven have to do with the Bills getting burnt on 3rd-and-long pass completions time after time? Obviously, the front seven was doing something right to force a 3rd-and-long in the first place and on 3rd-and-long the opposing offense will obviously be playing max-protect so you can't expect to get a sack. The ball was clearly in the secondary's court on those plays and they kept dropping it.

Umm...

Perhaps it's the fact that this team had a horrible pass rush? Any secondary can be beaten after 4-5 seconds.

What did the front seven have to do with the Bills getting burnt on 3rd-and-long pass completions time after time? Obviously, the front seven was doing something right to force a 3rd-and-long in the first place and on 3rd-and-long the opposing offense will obviously be playing max-protect so you can't expect to get a sack. The ball was clearly in the secondary's court on those plays and they kept dropping it.

680092[/snapback]

680092[/snapback]

If there was more pressure, maybe Gray wouldn't have went with an all out blitz on virtually every play.

Then again, I'm not so sure he knew how to do anything else.

680092[/snapback]

I don't recall the Bill's defense forcing an inordinantly large number of 3rd and longs. IIRC, they were something like #29 in overall defensive yards.

But regardless, they did play a lot of snaps with the db's yards away from the line of scrimmage. They were not in good position for run support, and regardless of their pass coverage skills or lack thereof, the Grey scheme allowed receivers to get their initial step sans fetters and work their routes.

If your defensive backfield does not have the best of coverage skills, it's better to have them whack the receievers in the chops in the legal zone and distrupt what they want to do.

If you can't run with the greyhounds, at least kick 'em in the shins and hope that they run crooked... :doh:

You know, so what if the Ravens took Whitner?  Or Detriot?  Where the Bills drafted him, he's going to have to be the next Ronnie Lott.  I hope he is that good, but if he's just an average to slightly above average player that fills a hole in a particular defensive system, then one has to ask if he was truly the only player out there that could fill that hole.  If Whitner was taken by somebody else, the Bills should've had some other option.  The problem is this wrong-headed thinking that there were no other options and, especially, that there were no other needs on this team.  We've been tearing Tom Donahoe a ragged new orifice for his luxury picks like Roscoe "Lil Big Man" only to see the new regime go for a pure cover-2 system safety.

679715[/snapback]

Why does everyone think that if someone is getting paid 1st round money, they have to be the next coming of Jesus Christ. let the guy play, if he's above average, which i assume he will be (Looks like a Nate Clements at safety), then he was worth the pick.

i think our best game on D was against carolina, we got run on a bit but managed to frustrate them with a sort of cover 2 look (very vanilla with LBs underneath on the WRs).

with a bump in our front 7 (crowell after 1 full year, SPIKES, and our new DTs) i think our new super fast secondary (particularly in nickle) might end up making us a VERY good top 10 D.

a top 10 D does a whole lot towards making us a winning team, coupled with special teams and some luck we might just be one this season.