People who are saying we should have drafted

Look I know we passed on taking Leinart, But they're are more important issues on this team that needed to be addressed. I think Whitner was a solid pick. Here's why.

If you have a young Qb (like we do) and he has a bad series, in which we go 3 and out, he will feel pretty bad about himself. However if the defense can pull through and make the other team go 3 and out too, then that's a huge relief to the Qb. It shows that the defense can pull through for him, even thought he messed up, and it's almost like restarting the series before. That's why the 8th pick is so important.

We got a Safety who is replacing Milloy, who was pretty darn good. And you know what it's not like we would be able to make the playoffs this year, anyway. This is our rebuilding year and we always have till next year to pick up a good DT. Next year not this year should be the year the Bills shoot for the playoffs. What we should be aiming for is an 8-8 season. The playoffs would be a bonus but an 8-8 season is not that bad for a rebuilding team. ;)

Look I know we passed on taking Leinart, But they're are more important issues on this team that needed to be addressed.  I think Whitner was a solid pick.  Here's why.

If you have a young Qb (like we do) and he has a bad series, in which we go 3 and out, he will feel pretty bad about himself.  However if the defense can pull through and make the other team go 3 and out too, then that's a huge relief to the Qb.  It shows that the defense can pull through for him,  even thought he messed up, and it's almost like restarting the series before. That's why the 8th pick is so important.

We got a Safety who is replacing Milloy, who was pretty darn good.  And you know what it's not like we would be able to make the playoffs this year, anyway.  This is our rebuilding year and we always have till next year to pick up a good DT.  Next year not this year should be the year the Bills shoot for the playoffs.  What we should be aiming for is an 8-8 season.  The playoffs would be a bonus but an 8-8 season is not that bad for a rebuilding team. ;)

679290[/snapback]

More pertinent is that Leinart will struggle throwing in the wind because he has less than ideal arm strength and more importantly does not throw a tight spiral.

There is a reason 9 teams passed on him.

More pertinent is that Leinart will struggle throwing in the wind because he has less than ideal arm strength and more importantly does not throw a tight spiral.

There is a reason 9 teams passed on him.

679300[/snapback]

The reason 9 teams passed on him is, because they had more important needs to fill in, like the Bills. The only other team after the Jets that could have had a chance to get him, was the Raiders. Never trust Mel Kiper' mock draft. That's all I can say. He was completely wrong.

The reason 9 teams passed on him is, because they had more important needs to fill in, like the Bills.  The only other team after the Jets that could have had a chance to get him, was the Raiders.  Never trust Mel Kiper' mock draft.  That's all I can say.  He was completely wrong.

680191[/snapback]

Really????

Mel Kipers Mock Draft

First-Round Projections

1. Houston Reggie Bush, RB* USC

2. New Orleans Mario Williams, DE* NC State

3. Tennessee Vince Young, QB* Texas

4. N.Y. Jets D'Brickashaw Ferguson, T Virginia

5. Green Bay A.J. Hawk, LB Ohio St.

6. San Francisco Vernon Davis, TE* Maryland

7. Oakland Ernie Sims, LB* Florida St.

8. Buffalo Brodrick Bunkley, DT Florida St.

9. Detroit Michael Huff, DB Texas

10. Arizona Matt Leinart, QB USC

I know exactly what I'm saying-With the 8th pick in the 2006 draft, the Buffalo Bills should have selected Matt Leinart.

His arm strength is not any different than Tom Brady's, and the last time I looked, Brady is doing ok with the weather in NE.

I have only one question: In 5 years who will be the best of these three QBs-Leinart, Losman, Nall? My answer is Leinart, if you don't answer Leinart, then you can justify not drafting him. But if your answer is Leinart, the Bills should have drafted him because no matter what anyone says, your most important player is your quarterback.

I base my judgement on Leinart on the one pattern I've found that pinpoints success in drafting QBs-if a QB would have been a 1st round pick in his jr year, stayed in school and maintained his 1st round status, his success rate is most likely 100%. Look it up & find me a 1st round bust who qualifies-there aren't any!

In the Q&A with Dwight Adams, he stated you build a team around the QB-I agree with Mr. Adams.

The Bills should have drafted Matt Leinart. Can you honestly say you believe, with great confidence that this team can be built around, JP Losman, Craig Nall or Kelly Holcomb? I can't. That's what I'm saying-and I know what I'm saying!

I know exactly what I'm saying-With the 8th pick in the 2006 draft, the Buffalo Bills should have selected Matt Leinart. 

His arm strength is not any different than Tom Brady's, and the last time I looked, Brady is doing ok with the weather in NE.

I have only one question:  In 5 years who will be the best of these three QBs-Leinart, Losman, Nall?  My answer is Leinart, if you don't answer Leinart, then you can justify not drafting him. But if your answer is Leinart, the Bills should have drafted him because no matter what anyone says, your most important player is your quarterback. 

I base my judgement on Leinart on the one pattern I've found that pinpoints success in drafting QBs-if a QB would have been a 1st round pick in his jr year, stayed in school and maintained his 1st round status, his success rate is most likely 100%.  Look it up & find me a 1st round bust who qualifies-there aren't any! 

In the Q&A with Dwight Adams, he stated you build a team around the QB-I agree with Mr. Adams. 

The Bills should have drafted Matt Leinart.  Can you honestly say you believe, with great confidence that this team can be built around, JP Losman, Craig Nall or Kelly Holcomb?  I can't.  That's what I'm saying-and I know what I'm saying!

680340[/snapback]

No way should the Bill's draft Leinart or any other QB yesterday. After squandering 2 of the last six 1st rounders (Flowers and Williams) and losing a year on each of two others (Losman [rookie QB] and Mcgahee [injury]), the Bills's needed an impact player with this year's first pick. 1st year QB's are not going to make an immediate impact the vast majority of the time, especially the top 3 this year. What happens 3, 4 or 5 years from now is irrelevant. The Bill's can go out a buy a FA QB who they won't have to invest develoment time in at any point. They should have, however, traded down and reveived another pick, probably still getting their guy.

What happens 3, 4 or 5 years from now is irrelevant. 

680366[/snapback]

I can't disagree more. We're not winning the Super Bowl next year, and with your philosophy, we probably never will. However, if we improved the QB position in the middle of a rebuild, we might just win the Super Bowl 3 years from now. I guarantee you if our QB play is bad enough to get us the top pick in the 2007 draft, the Bills will not pass on Brady Quinn, no matter how little impact he has in the 2007 season. Impact QBs are almost never available via free agency. The only reason Brees (FA) and Culpepper (Trade) were available this offseason was because each was coming off a devastating injury. Find one other season where a FA QB was available who could be counted on to win. Carolina got very lucky that NO couldn't properly evaluate QBs as evidenced by their letting both Bulger & Delhomme get away in favor of Aaron Brooks.

Our GM's philosophy when he was head coach was that your best "new" starters are the previous rookie class. Dwight Adams says you start at QB-They are both right.

I can't disagree more.  We're not winning the Super Bowl next year, and with your philosophy, we probably never will.  However, if we improved the QB position in the middle of a rebuild, we might just win the Super Bowl 3 years from now.  I guarantee you if our QB play is bad enough to get us the top pick in the 2007 draft, the Bills will not pass on Brady Quinn, no matter how little impact he has in the 2007 season.  Impact QBs are almost never available via free agency.  The only reason Brees (FA) and Culpepper (Trade) were available this offseason was because each was coming off a devastating injury.  Find one other season where a FA QB was available who could be counted on to win.  Carolina got very lucky that NO couldn't properly evaluate QBs as evidenced by their letting both Bulger & Delhomme get away in favor of Aaron Brooks. 

Our GM's philosophy when he was head coach was that your best "new" starters are the previous rookie class.  Dwight Adams says you start at QB-They are both right.

680401[/snapback]

Opinions make the world go round. I don't know who will be a FA over the next several years and past years are no indication of the future. Seems to me a FA by the name of Dilger won a SB and you already mentioned Delhomme. FA, trade, whatever, there is no need to waste a pick on a QB this year, especially this class. Like it or not, there is already a 1st round QB on this roster. Brady Quinn? One decent season, flash in the pan or reality who knows. He would have to have one heck of a season to be a #1 and thats a long way off.

Really????

Mel Kipers Mock Draft

First-Round Projections

1. Houston Reggie Bush, RB* USC

2. New Orleans Mario Williams, DE* NC State

3. Tennessee Vince Young, QB* Texas

4. N.Y. Jets D'Brickashaw Ferguson, T Virginia

5. Green Bay A.J. Hawk, LB Ohio St.

6. San Francisco Vernon Davis, TE* Maryland

7. Oakland Ernie Sims, LB* Florida St. 

8. Buffalo Brodrick Bunkley, DT Florida St. 

9. Detroit Michael Huff, DB Texas

10. Arizona Matt Leinart, QB USC

680307[/snapback]

Looks pretty close to me... :doh:

I agree with you completly. I have no idea if Leinnart will be the best of the three in 5 years so I pass! Tthe problem is other than you THINK Leinnart will be the best, you really have no idea either.

You mention how QB's would would have been top 10 as juniors and stayed for their seniopr year always suceeded. Can you give a list of names? And unless it's a pretty long list, then statisically it's not valid. Did they als ocome out of such a strong program as USC. With a Reggie Bush in the backfield and some of the receivers he's had over the years, it's not hard to look good.

I find your comments about Brady's arm strength surprising as I've rarely heard that comment about him. On the other hand College Qb's with suspect arm strength rarely if ever succeed in the NFL. The success rate of college QB's in the NFl is low to begin with and the sucess rate of ones with suspect arm strength is even worse.

I have no idea how good Losman will be, but two things I am confident in, his arm strength won't be his probelm and you can't make a judgement after 8 games. The odds are in your favor of being right about JP as there are many more failures than sucesses at QB.

I have only one question:  In 5 years who will be the best of these three QBs-Leinart, Losman, Nall?  My answer is Leinart, if you don't answer Leinart, then you can justify not drafting him. But if your answer is Leinart, the Bills should have drafted him because no matter what anyone says, your most important player is your quarterback. 

I base my judgement on Leinart on the one pattern I've found that pinpoints success in drafting QBs-if a QB would have been a 1st round pick in his jr year, stayed in school and maintained his 1st round status, his success rate is most likely 100%.  Look it up & find me a 1st round bust who qualifies-there aren't any! 

The Bills should have drafted Matt Leinart.  Can you honestly say you believe, with great confidence that this team can be built around, JP Losman, Craig Nall or Kelly Holcomb?  I can't.  That's what I'm saying-and I know what I'm saying!

680340[/snapback]

680340[/snapback]

You make some fair points and the comparison with Brady does seem like a good one because they both are winners. However, people are defintiely forgetting how big of a factor the weather would be. Has Leinart ever played a game in the snow? I don't really recall one. Brady, at least, went to Michigan. Some people were advocating bringing in Josh McCown in this past offseason. However, when Arizona was here two years ago during bad weather, he was awful. Additionally, say Leinart struggles (which all rookie QBs do), how long until we give up on him? I like Leinart and think he went to a good situation in Arizona but I think JP brings more physically to the table. He just needs to harness it. An improved defense could do wonders by placing the offense in good field position with turnovers. I'm confident that either Nall or Losman steps forward and becomes a solid QB this year. If not, we will must do everything possible to draft Brady Quinn next year. :doh:

680340[/snapback]

I have watched Leinart a lot. EVERYTHING he does is slow. And I think he is not going to be able to get away with it in the NFL. If he CAN, he will probably be damn good. But i would not have taken him at all. He moves slow, he throws slow, his mechanisms are slow, his release is slow, and worst, from the time he decides to throw until it reaches the receiver is an eternity compared to the everyday QB in the NFL. He's big so it just takes a long time for the ball to get out of his hand and then he doesn't throw with any velocity. Granted, we're talking microseconds here but that is often the difference between a completion and a break-up or INT.

I will say, however, that every time I thought he would never make it as a star in the NFL he did something that surprised me, and I had to re-consider. But I simply think he doesn't do anything fast enough to be a star in this league.

680340[/snapback]

Leinart will be better than Nall and Losman but I'm not sure that's saying much. He can be better than them AND still not be worth a top 10 pick if he becomes just a so-so QB that can't avoid pressure. Because that's what he'll be with the Bills. You never draft a QB high unless you have the infrastructure in place to develop him (Cincy/Palmer, Pittsburgh/Ben), and the Bills don't have that in place yet. We're installing a new offense. Our offensive line is poor. There's no proven #1 receiver. There's no proven red zone threat. The earliest we can think about drafting a QB high is two years from now, imho. Hopefully by then we'll have a good offensive line, Evans is a #1 receiver, and Euhus/Nance have developed into a reliable possession receiver / redzone threat.

Before we annoint any of the three the starter (and make the same mistake as last year), let's see what they do during camp and in pre-season.

As for Leinart, the guy made all the right thows, was a fantastic leader of his team, and was tough. I think that he has a chance to be as good as any QB coming out of college. Whether what he did at USC will translate in the NFL, only time will tell. That is true with pretty much any QB coming out of college. Except for the money he lost, he ended up in a pretty good situation. He has time to learn, has two great young WRs, an all star RB, and a head coach with a pretty good offensive track record.