Round 5 (#143) Selection: OT Brad Butler

SDS

Yup definitely drafting high character guys. :)  This is the virginia tackle that cheapshoted Kiwanuka during the Virgina/BC game

http://virginiasports.cstv.com/sports/m-fo.../101005aac.html

678229[/snapback]

I remember seeing a clip of this. I remember thinking "what an idiot!" :huh:

Now I gotta hope he can fill a hole in our oline!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scouts Inc.

Strengths: Plays with a mean streak, is physical at the point of attack and works to the whistle on every snap. Takes good angles to blocks and keeps legs driving after making contact. Has a very long reach, gets into pass set fairly quickly and generally does a good job of riding edge rushers past the pocket. Has adequate lateral mobility and flashes the ability to redirect inside after starting outside.

Weaknesses: Doesn't plays with great leverage, lacks ideal lower body strength and will struggle to get movement working against bigger defensive in the NFL. Doesn't have great range, doesn't play under control in space and has some problems adjusting to the moving target at the second level. Doesn't get great knee bend in pass set, doesn't play with a great base and has some problems holding ground working against bull rushers. While character doesn't appear to be a significant issue at this point Virginia suspended him for a game during the 2005 season.

Overall: Butler started one of the 12 games he appeared in during his true freshman season in 2002. He started all 13 games at right tackle during the 2003 season and he started all 13 games of the 2004 season. Butler started eight games at right tackle and two games at left tackle during the 2005 season but Virginia also suspended him a game for an illegal chop block. Butler isn't fundamentally sound, which is concern considering he was a three-year starter at the collegiate level. However, he has adequate size, he is an aggressive run blocker and he has enough athletic ability to develop into an adequate pass blocker. As such, Butler is worth taking a chance on in the final two rounds of the 2006 NFL draft.

678215[/snapback]

based on this, this is a decent pick

NFL.com

Butler was a tough player to evaluate, because despite being stiff and lacking quick feet, he has good balance and can stay on his feet and maintain blocks out in space much better than most limited athletes. He has the height and long arms teams like, and when he becomes more consistent punching the defense end, he will be a good pass protector in the NFL. He will always have trouble handling the explosive speed rusher, but better hand use will help him improve in all other areas. He is an effective positional run blocker, who can seal his man off from the play along the line of scrimmage, and can get through to block effectively on the second level. Overall, even though he is not a good athlete, he will remind folks of the Eagles' Jon Runyan on film. He really looks and plays a lot like Runyan did when he came out of Michigan. Butler is going to enter the NFL expected to be a backup by most, but by his second or third season, he will become a solid starting tackle who does a solid job, but is not dominant. His combination of height, long arms, toughness, competitiveness and efficiency gives him the best chance at becoming a starting NFL right tackle.

Yup definitely drafting high character guys. :)  This is the virginia tackle that cheapshoted Kiwanuka during the Virgina/BC game

http://virginiasports.cstv.com/sports/m-fo.../101005aac.html

678229[/snapback]

thats exactly what i thought of when i saw the name... that sucks... i was irate when i first saw that play... I guess its better to have him on your side than on the other side

I'm betting that had Jonathan Scott (picked at #141) targeted and settled for this guy.  He's a little "off" of the profile so far.

678238[/snapback]

Somehow I doubt it. First off, Scott played for Texas. Second, his NFL.com draft profile reminds one of Mike Williams.

Somehow I doubt it. First off, Scott played for Texas. Second, his NFL.com draft profile reminds one of Mike Williams.

678281[/snapback]

Yeah, but Williams drafted in the 5th round would've been a very good pick.

i'm still confused as to why the clock on this site is off an hour. it's really bugging me.

678315[/snapback]

Something was reset on the board, perhaps a new server brought in for the surge in hits for the draft. If you go to My Controls | Board settings and check the box for "Is daylight saving time in effect?" you will activate a time machine that will propel the entire board back to the present from one hour ago.