• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:P

What about LT? Didn't Orlando Pace lead the Rams to a Super Bowl victory? :D

671522[/snapback]

Problem still remains that in spite of the shiny thing theory, none of the top three QB prospects show any upside in terms of playing in the AFCE.

I'd love trading down if we still got a DT at 11. 3 3rd round picks!!!

671527[/snapback]

11 seems like the perfect fit. I would be happy with Ngata, Bunkley or Justice at that pick. (I still don't think Bunkley is a good choice opposite Tripplett, but at least we won't be reaching as much)

I would hope that Marv would not make any trades before draft day. Who knows how the first 7 picks will play out. What if Davis is sitting there do you pass on the best te in the a number of years to get an extra third rounder. nd how may third rounders make an impact on your team in the 1st year. Very few Im sure. I hope ML makes the right decisions when saturday afternoon rolls around.

How perfect would this be?  Grab another day one pick and lose out on nothing.  Here's hoping Cutler makes it to 8!

671510[/snapback]

We're probably laughing either way.

If Cutler doesn't make it to #8, that would mean we will probably get one of the upper echelon picks...Hawk, D'Brick, Davis, Huff.

It's ALL GOOD :D

like it or not, qb is by far and away the most important position on the team.

671512[/snapback]

I agree with this based on the fact the QB (and the center actually) handle the ball on each O snap. While both QB and the C are makng formation decisions and communicating them to teammates on every O snap, the QB'd duties are broader and more expansive than the Cs.

However, like the C while both positions are critical , they both are dependent on their teammates doing their job or their efforts do not amount to much. One can argue the QB position is the most important (just as one could reasonably argue the C position is critical or even 2nd most important but when it comes down to a decision to draft a player this importance decision really amount to SO WHAT as far as putting up Ws is concerned and winning the SB as soon as I can which is my real priority.

If the greatest probable QB in the world is available, but also a player at a position which is a gap on my team that I think is one player away from winning the SB, I pick the player that most helps me win the SB and pass on getting this potential stud QB

The actual place where QB is all important and I might pick on over a player who I judge better helps me win is because we have a society where our little brains like rooting for one person rather than worrying about the intracacies of the game.

QBs are often picked in the 1st and are over-rated as best as I can tell in terms of making the difference and even the biggest difference on the team and on the field mainly due to putting butts in the seats and marketing rather than the game.

The over-addiction to the QB spot is the main story IMHO and our horrible record since Jimbo left. Having caught lightening in a bottle with a cocky QB who;s frailties as a teammate and a team leader were nicely compensated for by the Bills having a plethora of solid leaders (Kent Hull, Darrl Talley, Tasker, etc) simply allowed this team to win and overlook Jo,bp's antics that came along with his good play.

Since then our braintruat:

1. Misassessed how long Jimbo would last (Ralph even made a handshake deal to compensate him in next contract only to have to pay him a million bucks walking away quitely money after a concussion drove him out the game. This whistling in the dark belief he would last longer than he did made us draft a replacement a year later than we should have.

2. Despite our belief he would last, the handwriting on the wall and our lateness made the Bills overeach and spend a 2nd on Collins.

3, When it became obvious that TC was not the man after we tried to rush him along his happy feet probably could not have been trained out of him, Butler panicked and traded a third for Hobert who was such an idiot we had to cut him.

4. Panicked by these three errors the Bills desperation actually produced a good outcome as we were one of the only (if not the only given how little he signed for in base pay) we signed Flutie with a promise he would gat a fair shot at the starting QB job. However, we destroyed a chance of good play by him being all positive by turning around and signing RJ to such a big bonus it gave him the starters job regardless of play.

5. We added injury to the injury added to this insult by setting things up so that when DF played like AJ Smith expected him to we ended up owing him all is achieved bonuses in his next year caP hit AND had to pay him his achieve bonuses as base pay AND there was still the pro-rated bonus of RJ's contract.

Even with the forced reduction cap hit we had because we had to renegotiate DFs contract to sign him long-term (and thus prorate the bonus over the life of the contract, we still ended up for the 99 season with a cap hit for the QB position so large we had to cut vets who might have knew enough to stay in their lanrs on ST.

It actually was our panic as we looked for the next Jimbo which ended up costing us out last appearance in the playoffs.

6. If this was not bad enough as the Bills were rocked by the DF/RJ controversy under Butler, TD ran into this buzzsaw and got the same illness. Trying to see if RJ might work in 2001 was almost certainly not going to work and TD recovered nicely from watching him screw up as his Bills career by getting Bledsoe in a trade (s good move in my book as the available alternatives where Chris Chandler and Jeff Blake). However, TD drank the QB Kool-Aid as well as a very good Bledsoe first season was followed by a horrendous 03. TD should have called it a wash at this point and simply cut Bledsoe. Instead the QB marketing addiction got him to extend and renegotiate the Bledsoe contract.

Ironically, he added injury to this injury not simply by trading up to get JP, but making the same mistakes as Butler by giving the starter job to a player who had yet to prove it on the field.

the results were a disaster.

QB is an important job, but the thing that has killed the Bills is that they seem to have the same attitude as the one reflected in your post that is addicted to the QB slot as though it were the same thing as developing a good team. IT IS NOT.

The Bills have 3 QBs on this roster who will compete against each other to start. I generally agree with Marv that when a team has two starting QBs it has no starting QBs. However, to me it simply means pick one and stick with him.

The important thing is to build a winning team and not to cashier team resources and attention by being addicted to getting some "next" QB to market the heck out of.

QB is an important cog in the wheel, but in the end it is simply a cog in the ehrrl if we are looking to get Ws.

:lol:

What about LT? Didn't Orlando Pace lead the Rams to a Super Bowl victory? :lol:

671522[/snapback]

No, in the mind of a short sighted, limited football fan, that would be Kurt Warner.

You remember him right? The guy who just kept racking up wins for the giants and the cardinals after he was dumped from the rams! :P:D

bill - just being hypothetical here. if you truly think losman sucks, how could possibly be opposed to taking a qb high? like it or not, qb is by far and away the most important position on the team.

671512[/snapback]

None of us know for sure if Losman is any good.

But, to answer your question, I make the case that the best quarterbacks in football couldn't succeed on the current Bills. The Colts drafted Glenn and Meadows, THEN they took Manning. Brady and Big Ben stepped into teams that had a solid foundation.

I liken the scenario of the Bills wasting another 1st round pick on a qb to a dog chasing it's tail. How will we ever find out if JP (or for that matter Nall) are any good until they are given a chance to play on a strong team?

moving from 8 to 11. what does the chart say we should get in return for the trade?

in that situation, culter would be taken at 8, but what that leaves 9 and 10 to chose whoever they like.

would Bunkley still be there? will Justice? if you trade down, you have to make sure you can still get the guys you want.

the value chart:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/6330687

8th overall pick: 1,400

11th overall pick: 1,250

a diffrence of 150

150 is the value given to the 24th pick in the 3rd round.

i dont know for sure if the rams have the 11th pick in the 3rd round, but it would be worth 215.

EDIT:

the eagles have the 15th overall pick.

8th pick: 1,400

15th pick 1,050

a diffrence of 350

FYI, the 23rd pick in the 2nd round is worth 350.

no he didnt, Faulk, Bruce, Holt Warner, those guys did.

671659[/snapback]

Good point. They could have plugged anybody in there at LT and it wouldn't have made a dimes worth of differerce.

Warner never having any fear at all of a blindside rush, and Faulk having truck sized holes to run through mattered little, if at all.

Or we could simply get a 2nd for moving 3 spots.

Look at how we got hit over the head for RJ and JP. The price goes up when qbs are involved. Screw the "chart."  :D

671080[/snapback]

Look how San Diego screwed the Giants to move up 3 spots.

Good point. They could have plugged anybody in there at LT and it wouldn't have made a dimes worth of differerce.

Warner never having any fear at all of a blindside rush, and Faulk having truck sized holes to run through mattered little, if at all.

671673[/snapback]

Im detecting :D sarcasm here.