Sabres Beer Vendors

plenzmd1

Okay fellas, way back in da day, Sabres and Bisons had some colorful beer vendors. I had seasons for the sabres 1st row oranges in corner where sabres shot twice in 87 and 88. Conehead guy was up there. Tipped him so well and so often he got me a christmas present( try splaining that to your mom when she was at the game with me).

Then there was the guy who did the dance to pee wee hermans song, The Earl of Bud" if i remember correctly.

Two or three others who had a schtick as well, just do not remember

Are those guys still around? Anything like that at the games now

Okay fellas, way back in da day, Sabres and Bisons had some colorful beer vendors. I had seasons for the sabres 1st row oranges in corner where sabres shot twice in 87 and 88. Conehead guy was up there. Tipped him so well and so often he got me a christmas present( try splaining that to your mom when she was at the game with me).

Then there was the guy who did the dance to pee wee hermans song, The Earl of Bud" if i remember correctly.

669005[/snapback]

This is an excellent thread plenzmd. I was a young, impressionable youth and recall with great joy the Earl of Bud dancing on the railings at the Aud or on the dugout at Pilot in his white tuxedo. I must say, that is partially why I was horrified when I saw the Earl of Bud downtown at Concert in the Square a few years back and he was drinking a wine cooler. It was a crushing blow to the memory of a childhood hero. "Say it ain't so, Earl. Where's your Budweiser?"

Conehead is still selling beers at Pilot Field. His schtick is this little rhyming speech when you buy a beer: "You've got the Conehead guarantee- You get a warm beer from me, you drink it for free." I'm yet to get a warm one.

That was a funny story about getting the Xmas present. I've never gone that far, but I did go to a Bisons game last summer with my girlfriend and her parents. As I was walking down the stairs to go to the seats, I hear someone yelling my name. I stop and look about two sections over, and the beer vendor is yelling and waving to me. I gave an embarrassed wave as my girlfriend shakes her head in disgust and says "What the hell is wrong with you?" Luckily her father is a bit of a booze hound so he thought it was pretty funny.

I remember the Earl of Bud...we used to split seasons tix in the reds, and he danced right across from us. I was too young then to be buying beers....its too bad he isn't still around (or at least isn't doing his dance). Come to think of it, its too bad that we aren't playing at the Aud anymore, that was such a great barn :-(

669005[/snapback]

I remember the ones from the Bisons days. I knew a few - we would shoot the sh*t with them. Fellows eking out a living.

Lousy work now - like you mention and evidently participated in, they are now objects of fun and ridicule.

I remember the Earl slingin' suds back at the Rockpile. Kind of a tangent, but does anyone remember "The Butcher." He was the "husky" bat boy who would try to catch the fouls that rolled back down the screen behind home plate. I remember him snagging one behind the back and the crowd went nuts. The opposing team would even stand on the dugout steps and watch him. Alas, when the Bisons moved to Pilot Field, the screen was never tight enough and the fouls would just get stuck instead of popping back off onto the field.

I remember the Earl slingin' suds back at the Rockpile. Kind of a tangent, but does anyone remember "The Butcher." He was the "husky" bat boy who would try to catch the fouls that rolled back down the screen behind home plate. I remember him snagging one behind the back and the crowd went nuts. The opposing team would even stand on the dugout steps and watch him. Alas, when the Bisons moved to Pilot Field, the screen was never tight enough and the fouls would just get stuck instead of popping back off onto the field.

669067[/snapback]

I don't remeber him, but remember the Friday parties out in left field at the Rockpile in the mid eighties.

Lousy work now - like you mention and evidently participated in, they are now objects of fun and ridicule.

agilen Posted Today, 02:54 PM

Cincy, not quite sure what you mean here. I was never anything but pleasant and couteous with the fellas, and the Earl was always a highlight in the middle of the 87 season, first season since like 74 Sabres didn't make the playoffs.

gave an embarrassed wave as my girlfriend shakes her head in disgust and says "What the hell is wrong with you?" Luckily her father is a bit of a booze hound so he thought it was pretty funny.

Ole mom was pleased with her recent college graduate at the "present" game, so i know the feeling :w00t:

Conehead is still selling beers at Pilot Field.  His schtick is this little rhyming speech when you buy a beer:  "You've got the Conehead guarantee- You get a warm beer from me, you drink it for free."  I'm yet to get a warm one.

669022[/snapback]

Yes, I saw him at the Bisons playoff game I was at last September.

My wife thought he was the funniest guy she'd ever seen.

Mike

damn, i forgot about the conehead...

Anyone remember the twister guy from the aud? He would sit either in the first row of the oranges, or the last row before the overhang to the oranges, across from the box seats (and they were box seats at the aud, literally...) He was a fat guy who'd just do the twist. I thought it was funny when i was 8.

damn, i forgot about the conehead... 

Anyone remember the twister guy from the aud?  He would sit either in the first row of the oranges, or the last row before the overhang to the oranges, across from the box seats (and they were box seats at the aud, literally...)  He was a fat guy who'd just do the twist.  I thought it was funny when i was 8.

669121[/snapback]

Musta been related to the fat dude who used to dance along the railing at the War Memorial during "Tequila." They finally banned him from doing it for liability reasons, I think.

Is it generally expected that you tip the vendors at sporting events?  I don't usually buy anything, but when I do, I've never tipped...

669149[/snapback]

I always tip guys that hustle the stands, not neccasarily people behind the counters. I always figure that shelpping beers up and down stairs much harder than say a bartender poring a draft.

I always tip guys that hustle the stands, not neccasarily people behind the counters. I always figure that shelpping beers up and down stairs much harder than say a bartender poring a draft.

669151[/snapback]

Agreed. Take care of your vendor and he'll take care of you.

Is it generally expected that you tip the vendors at sporting events?  I don't usually buy anything, but when I do, I've never tipped...

669149[/snapback]

If I go to the consession stand to buy my beer I don't tip. But if I buy a beer from a vendor, definitely I definitely hook him up. The beerguy, like a bartender, remembers the good tippers and you'll never have to wait. Mmmmmm, beer.