Interesting Quote from Marv

Cleveland could be a nice trade partnet possibly giving up their 2nd to move up 4 spots...I would do that in a heart beat

Me too. The Bills pick 10th in the 2nd Round, and the Browns pick 11th. We'd have 2 picks in a row.

RD#1----Winston Justice OT

RD#2A--Orien Harris DT

RD#2B--Ko Simpson S

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree in following this logic (as I read it the same way you did) it would appear they might be referring to Justice, Ngata or Bunkley. Yet I think it rules out David and/or Huff as would suspect both gone by pick 12.

668445[/snapback]

Once again just because Marv thinks the guy we are targeting could be taken at 12 does not mean he's not in our top ten. I'm willing to bet the player we are targeting IS IN OUR top ten. According to Modrak, Justice isn't in our top ten. All assumptions though.

I'm willing to bet Bunkley is our man come Friday....

"In fact, the guy we sort of like right now, my strong guess would be he'll be there four spaces below," Levy said.

If thats the case, trade the fug down Marv.  If Cutler is available, Arizona or St. Louis might be possible trade partners (There has been a lot of talk around here about Cutler being a future replacement/current insurance policy on Bulger who has been injured the last few years).  11 draft picks would be nice.

667542[/snapback]

Don't trade until draft day. There is still a chance, a very slim chance that D'Brick will be there. If he and Davis are gone, then drop back.

Me too. The Bills pick 10th in the 2nd Round, and the Browns pick 11th. We'd have 2 picks in a row.

RD#1----Winston Justice OT

RD#2A--Orien Harris DT

RD#2B--Ko Simpson S

668450[/snapback]

Hmmm, wishful thinking Asto? Point vaule chart only equates to a third.

Buffalo 8th spot= 1400 points

Cleveland 12th spot= 1200 points

1400 - 1200 = 200

200 points falls in the range of picks 71 thru 75 in the third round. Still could get a very decent player there in this deep draft.

BTW I think You are on the money with the Justice pick

1400 - 1200 = 200

200 points falls in the range of picks 71 thru 75 in the third round. Still could get a very decent player there in this deep draft.

668545[/snapback]

The Browns traded a second-round pick to Detroit and moved up one spot from No. 7 to No. 6 so they could select Winslow in 2004, so you can't always go by the value chart.

1400 - 1200 = 200

668545[/snapback]

But Steve, they got a 2nd for moving back 7 spots from 14 to 21 in 2001.

Honestly, I am not sure (regardless of the chart) that a mere 2nd is enough to move down. I think that Marv should insist on an additional 3rd in 07, but then again, I'm hard core. :)

In the case of the Browns trading a second to move up one spot, there was competition to get that spot and draft Winslow. When the Bucs moved up from 21 to 14, they were badly trying to get Kenyatta Walker.

The only way we get more than a third for moving down a few spots is if there's a very desirable player (Vernon Davis) left on the board and there's competition for him.

In the case of the Browns trading a second to move up one spot, there was competition to get that spot and draft Winslow.  When the Bucs moved up from 21 to 14, they were badly trying to get Kenyatta Walker.

The only way we get more than a third for moving down a few spots is if there's a very desirable player (Vernon Davis) left on the board and there's competition for him.

668672[/snapback]

The only way we get anything at all is if there is a very desiraeable player left on the board.

More than likely the Bills are stuck at #8.

The only way we get anything at all is if there is a very desiraeable player left on the board.

More than likely the Bills are stuck at #8.

668683[/snapback]

Yeah. The Bills are in a situation where the player they've targetted will still be there after #8 but only for "four more spaces" according to Marv (i.e. Ngata to Cleveland). So they're limited to trading with Detroit, Arizona, or St. Louis and only if those team desperately want a player that they believe won't be there when they draft in their original draft slot.

A trade would be like threading a needle and is very unlikely to happen. Ngata at #8 overall, that's our pick.

Yeah.  The Bills are in a situation where the player they've targetted will still be there after #8 but only for "four more spaces" according to Marv  (i.e. Ngata to Cleveland).  So they're limited to trading with Detroit, Arizona, or St. Louis and only if those team desperately want a player that they believe won't be there when they draft in their original draft slot.

A trade would be  like threading a needle and is very unlikely to happen.  Ngata at #8 overall, that's our pick.

668689[/snapback]

If they are after Bunkley, they could trade to Cleveland(Ngata) with only the Rams who might take Bunkley.

If they are after Bunkley, they could trade to Cleveland(Ngata) with only the Rams who might take Bunkley.

668693[/snapback]

What incentive does Cleveland have to trade up if the bills are likely to take Bunkley at #8?

If Bills pass on Ngata as expected, he proably falls to Cleveland at #12 anyway.

Detroit and Arizona are unlikely to be interested.

Rams likely go secondary, but could conceivable take a DT, which would mean the most Cleveland would need to move would be to leapfrog the Rams.

What incentive does Cleveland have to trade up if the bills are likely to take Bunkley at #8? 

If Bills pass on Ngata as expected, he proably falls to Cleveland at #12 anyway.

Detroit and Arizona are unlikely to be interested.

Rams likely go secondary, but could conceivable take a DT, which would mean the most Cleveland would need to move would be to leapfrog the Rams.

668795[/snapback]

Cleveland will not know what the Bills will take.

Therefore if they let us pick at #8, we could well take Ngata.(There are some on TBD who are guarenteeing we take Ngata).

But Steve, they got a 2nd for moving back 7 spots from 14 to 21 in 2001.

Honestly, I am not sure (regardless of the chart) that a mere 2nd is enough to move down. I think that Marv should insist on an additional 3rd in 07, but then again, I'm hard core.  ;)

668668[/snapback]

I'd love to see Marv push the envelope :w00t:

but

just like was mentioned above fixation on one specific player will make teams do strange things in the draft.......

when the seconds are ticking,ticking,ticking

Can it happen again-absolutely!! BUT I wouldn't bet the house money on it :)

Many teams have bet the if-comes and have been burned

Yeah.  The Bills are in a situation where the player they've targetted will still be there after #8 but only for "four more spaces" according to Marv  (i.e. Ngata to Cleveland).  So they're limited to trading with Detroit, Arizona, or St. Louis and only if those team desperately want a player that they believe won't be there when they draft in their original draft slot.

A trade would be  like threading a needle and is very unlikely to happen.  Ngata at #8 overall, that's our pick.

668689[/snapback]

this argues against your "we're picking ngata" "fact". Next time you post, please include the powerball numbers.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3728

??? Modrak himself said that Ngata fits.  Do I need to link that press conference again?

669195[/snapback]

What did you expect him to say?

Even if the Bills have no intention of selecting Ngata (and I have no idea if they do or not), it is to their benefit to at least maintain the illusion that they are a threat to do so even if they don't want him. If a team such as Cleveland thinks the Bills are a threat to take Ngata, they might either trade with the Bills, giving us another pick, or trade ahead of the Bills, possibly allowing another player the Bills do want to drop to 8.

What did you expect him to say?

Even if the Bills have no intention of selecting Ngata (and I have no idea if they do or not),  it is to their benefit to at least maintain the illusion that they are a threat to do so even if they don't want him.  If a team such as Cleveland thinks the Bills are a threat to take Ngata,  they might either trade with the Bills,  giving us another pick,  or trade ahead of the Bills,  possibly allowing another player the Bills do want to drop to 8.

669235[/snapback]

Okay... well then that article Ramius linked could be a smokescreen as well...