Interesting Quote from Marv

I'm willing to bet Bunkley is our man come Friday....

"In fact, the guy we sort of like right now, my strong guess would be he'll be there four spaces below," Levy said.

If thats the case, trade the fug down Marv. If Cutler is available, Arizona or St. Louis might be possible trade partners (There has been a lot of talk around here about Cutler being a future replacement/current insurance policy on Bulger who has been injured the last few years). 11 draft picks would be nice.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"In fact, the guy we sort of like right now, my strong guess would be he'll be there four spaces below," Levy said.

If thats the case, trade the fug down Marv.  If Cutler is available, Arizona or St. Louis might be possible trade partners (There has been a lot of talk around here about Cutler being a future replacement/current insurance policy on Bulger who has been injured the last few years).  11 draft picks would be nice.

667542[/snapback]

Could just as easily be Justice.

Here is another tidbit (this time from Modrak)....

Southern California's Winston Justice is the next best offensive tackle behind Ferguson. But Modrak said Ferguson is the only lineman the Bills have rated in the top 10.

Thats why I don't think they are reffering to Justice. Could be Ngata, afterall I'm just making an educated guess. This is all from the Bunkley article from the Buffalo News.

Just my two cents...I think we'll be drafting Bunk.

Here is another tidbit (this time from Modrak)....

Southern California's Winston Justice is the next best offensive tackle behind Ferguson. But Modrak said Ferguson is the only lineman the Bills have rated in the top 10.

Thats why I don't think they are reffering to Justice.  Could be Ngata, afterall I'm just making an educated guess.  This is all from the Bunkley article  from the Buffalo News. 

Just my two cents...I think we'll be drafting Bunk.

667567[/snapback]

Well that doesn't make any sense at all...

If Marv is saying the guy they are looking at would be there 4 spots lower (that would be 12 right?) and they don't have Justice rated in the top 10.....

Yep, could be any of those guys. The problem, though, is none of those teams directly behind us will have much motivation to trade with us.

Wrong. Detroit, Stlouis and arizona pick right after us. There will be competition for one of them to move up and get cutler ahead of detroit.

Yep, could be any of those guys.  The problem, though, is none of those teams directly behind us will have much motivation to trade with us.

667575[/snapback]

I think if anyone, Cleveland MAY bite if they think we will take the player they want. Another words, if we can't find a trade partner, we are taking Ngata (and Cleveland wants him).

I think it's a long shot though. They will probably be happy with either Ngata or Bunkley, and one of them should be there at 12 no matter who we pick.

Wrong.  Detroit, Stlouis and arizona pick right after us.  There will be competition for one of them to move up and get cutler ahead of detroit.

667579[/snapback]

Why are Arizona and St. Louis worried about Detroit drafting Cutler? The Lions have Kitna, McCown, and Harrington on the roster. They might as well be worried about the Bills drafting Cutler.

Arizona will just stay where they are and be able to draft Cutler anyway.

And why are the Rams interested in a QB again?

Um...the lions dont have a good QB for the future. McCown? Come on. Harrington is as good as gone. Kitna will be 34 next season. They need a QB. If they are high on cutler (and I havent seen anything to suggest they arent), they might well consider him.

As for St. Louis...don't need to take my word for it. How about Don Banks at CNNSI

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ...art2/index.html

No? Still not good enough...how about the OFFICIAL WEBPAGE FOR THE RAMS

http://www.stlouisrams.com/article/53393/

Cutler was scheduled for a visit with the Rams this week and is a serious consideration should he last until No. 11. With the uncertainty of the future of the position, Cutler could come in and develop behind Bulger with the potential to take over in a few years or should Bulger get hurt again.

It sounds like Marv is quite confident that this player will not be a top 10 pick unless they select him at 8 and that they could trade down and still get him. My guess is that the player they're talking about is someone that we haven't even discussed.

In no particular order, a few possibilities should the Bills trade down include:

1) WR Chad Jackson, Florida

2_ WR Santonio Holmes, Ohio State

No, it wouldn't be a popular choice after the Parrish pick a year ago, but aside from Lee Evans, what do the Bills really have at WR or even TE? Practically nothing. And no, having 10 more guys that can't play on the roster doesn't help much. At the very latest, I think we will have a new WR (or perhaps a recieving TE) by about noon next Sunday.

3) OG Davin Joseph, Oklahoma

I think he's a better fit very late in R1, but the Bills did draft Ruben Brown with the 14th overall pick in 1994, so there is a chance Marv might take a G this high. We certainly need one.

4) DE Mathias Kiwanuka, Boston College

Kiwanuka was a borderline top 10 pick until his stock started dropping in late January (and I'm not sure why he dropped). I think Kiwanuka will still be a top 25 pick. The Bills have a major need for a top tier pass rusher in this defensive scheme, a need that I believe is being vastly underrated by some of the fans and media. Kiwanuka would immediately upgrade their pass rush and I believe would be a solid fit with the Bills as an eventual or possibly even immediate starter at LDE.

5) OLB Chad Greenway, Iowa

6) OLB DeMeco Ryans, Alabama

Spikes is coming off a career threatening injury and Posey has a year left on his contract. Crowell played reasonably well in replacement of Spikes a year ago, but it wouldn't be the worst idea for the Bills to select a top OLB prospect in this draft.

7) DT Gabe Watson, Michigan

If you want a R1 DT, Watson might actually be the best choice. Yes, he has a reputation as an underachiever in college (so does Ngata), but he has about as much talent as Ngata or Bunkley, has no injury history, and will probably be available a dozen picks lower in the draft.

Um...the lions dont have a good QB for the future.  McCown?  Come on.  Harrington is as good as gone.  Kitna will be 34 next season.  They need a QB.  If they are high on cutler (and I havent seen anything to suggest they arent), they might well consider him.

As for St. Louis...don't need to take my word for it.  How about Don Banks at CNNSI

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ...art2/index.html

No? Still not good enough...how about the OFFICIAL WEBPAGE FOR THE RAMS

http://www.stlouisrams.com/article/53393/

667602[/snapback]

And here's the link to the Bills being interested in Cutler: http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9388328/2

All these links and media reports are completely meaningless. You just have to setp back and use common sense. The Bills have a QB of the future as much as the Lions do. Detroit has spent their last 7 first rounders on offense and with the hiring of a defensive minded coach, they're gonna go defense this year. St. Louis has Marc Bulger and Frerotted to back him up.

It sounds like Marv is quite confident that this player will not be a top 10 pick unless they select him at 8 and that they could trade down and still get him.  My guess is that the player they're talking about is someone that we haven't even discussed. 

667604[/snapback]

I think the 4 spots below is comment was telling, and other than maybe Chad Jackson, none of those players you suggesting should be close to the 12th pick. And there is no way in hell we take a WR with that pick. I could see any other position, including RB, taken before WR. Just my opinion....

Sounds more like Winston Justice to me.

And my point isn't that Detroit and St. Louis have absolutely no chance of drafting Cutler... hell, the Bills might even draft him, we just can't be sure of anything. BUT... my point is the signs don't point to the Lions and Rams being in a battle with Arizona to draft Cutler. I don't think any of the teams drafting directly behind us wants him so bad as to trade up to get him.

I think the 4 spots below is comment was telling, and other than maybe Chad Jackson, none of those players you suggesting should be close to the 12th pick.  And there is no way in hell we take a WR with that pick.  I could see any other position, including RB, taken before WR.  Just my opinion....

667607[/snapback]

I'm not really expecting them to trade down exactly 4 spots. If it happens, they'll probably have to trade down into the 15-20 range to really make it worthwhile for both the Bills and the other team involved. I think all of the players listed are mid-to-late 1st round picks.

As for a WR pick, I wouldn't be so sure. Roscoe Parrish has proven nothing as a WR and is probably too small to be an every down player. Josh Reed was a flop in his earlier role as a #2 WR. Peerless Price hasn't done anything since leaving Buffalo in '02 and may have some significant health issues. The rest of the WRs are basically camp fodder. We have no proven reciever at TE. McGahee isn't much as a reciever out of the backfield. So basically all we have is Lee Evans. I'm not saying its a strong possibility, I'm just saying don't completely rule it out if they trade down.

3)  OG Davin Joseph,  Oklahoma

I think he's a better fit very late in R1,  but the Bills did draft Ruben Brown with the 14th overall pick in 1994,  so there is a chance Marv might take a G this high.  We certainly need one. 

4)

667604[/snapback]

Ruben was drafted as a LT.

They moved him to G to get him in the lineup immeditely.