If we still had DonaHO....

In a move that baffled everyone today, the Buffalo Bills selected Marcus Vick with the 8th pick in the 2006 draft.

"Hey, I'm just smarter than everyone," commented DonaHO "We felt like we knew who we wanted and we went out and got him, the draft was so deep ,we knew this move would turn some heads considering he was predicted to go in the 6th but that's just how deep the draft. The talet pool is so even we don't really pay attention to rounds, we just go out there and get our guy. We didn't want to let someone else get him."

In another DonHO story, the risk-taking GM pitched a proposal to save the team money by paying them in Canadian Dollars. When asked about it DonHO replied: "There's nowhere in their contracts that says the dollars have to be American, I spotted that loophole because I'm a genius."

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to go against the grain a bit here and defend TD on his Round 1 decisions over the years...

2001: Traded down for Nate Clements: hardly a shocking move, and it turned out to be one of the better moves he made during his time as GM both in terms of the decision to trade down and in terms of the player selected.

2002: Well, Big Mike as we know turned out to be a bust. However, he was hardly a shocking pick, and seemed like a safe one at the time. TD desperately wanted to trade down but couldn't find a partner.

2003: Managing to steal a 1st rounder from Atlanta in exchange for Peerless was a great move. Some would argue that Willis was a luxury pick, but if the team had elected to pick based on need, they would have selected Chris Kelsay, whom they ultimately grabbed in the 2nd round anyway. Besides, based on what we've seen from Henry since then, you'd have to agree that TD was forward-thinking in looking for a potential improvement. Considering the forfeiture of the original 1st rounder for Bledsoe, who gave us a great 2002 season (which inflated Peerless' value), we can say that we traded Price (the following year) plus 7 spots in the first round (the following year) in exchange for Bledsoe. Or, if you'd rather, we traded Price and Ty Warren for Bledsoe and Willis McGahee. I think you make that deal every time.

2004: Lee Evans was hardly a surprise pick, as he is the guy most scouts expected us to take. It's still early, but so far he seems worthy of the selection. The surprise that year was the decision to move up to get JP. Obviously the verdict is still out (See below).

2005: Our first round pick was actually JP Losman, whom we traded a 2nd and 4th for the right to get him a year early. There is little doubt in my mind that the team would have gone QB here if they hadn't done so the year before. The scouts identified an exceptionally week QB class in 2005, which is why they elected to gamble on JP in 2004. Again, with just 8 starts under his belt, it is too early to tell whether or not he willpan out. But he has no less chance of doing so than Jason Campbell or Aaron Rogers, the 2 QBs that may have been there for us. In fact, with a limited sample size, Losman looked BETTER than last year's #1 overall draft pick, Alex Smith. Being that the Bills don't have as much tied up (money-wise) as the Niners do in Smith, Buffalo is in a better position to cut bait if the front office determines that JP isn't the guy. The criticism for this draft hinges on the decision to draft tiny Roscoe Parrish in the 2ND round. Again, we will have to see how that plays out, but my guess is that TD knew that Moulds was not going to be back in 2006 and was making a contingency plan.

Clearly a mixed bag... However, even in the cases where we missed (i.e. Mike Williams), it wasn't as if the decision at the time was a crazy one. Still, TD seemed to enjoy the drama of draft day. In fact, he made at least one trade in every draft up until last season. My suspicion is that we'll find Marv and co. to be more "boring" in their moves. Of course, sometimes boring isn't bad.

my guess would be DeAngelo Williams RB from memphis

and TDs response would be...Just too much talent to pass up at #8

TD would follow that up with a WR in round 2 ( again ) CB and LB in round 3 completely ignoring both likes....AGAIN

Yeah cause Willis is a bust.  :w00t:

664194[/snapback]

i was implying that at the time of the pick, everyone in buffalo was like wtf? it was a shock because we had a RB that just came off a 13 or 1400 yard season, not that willis sucks.

i was implying that at the time of the pick, everyone in buffalo was like wtf? it was a shock because we had a RB that just came off a 13 or 1400 yard season, not that willis sucks.

664514[/snapback]

Production-wise, we haven't upgraded the position yet, considering the year Travis had. Now, do I think McGahee is a better back than Travis? Yes, but he has to show and prove. Coming into minicamp and showing that he's ready to run w/ the same passion and attitude he showed 2 years ago will go a long way towards showing and proving. If that doesn't happen, Willis will continue to give us a 1,000 yard rusher (barely) whose timid running style will make him useless in the red zone, like last season. It's up to him to show and prove, which I think he'll do this year.