Jobs Americans Won't Do?

We hear it all the time. The illegals are only doing the jobs Americans won't do. My brother owns a landscape business in WNY. We talked today while he was working. Guess who was helping him mulch a Home Depot in Rochester? His kids! Yup, out on Easter break and they were working for him along with a couple of other teenagers from the neighborhood. What a novel concept. When I was a kid, we mowed the lawns, cleaned the pools, babysat each other, washed dishes and flipped burgers. What are the kids doing now? Elighten me as I don't have children so I don't know. That line is a major copout.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Around here?  Driving new cars their parents bought them, wearing $200 Nikes, and bitching to no end if they have to lift a finger.

661653[/snapback]

Funny, that's exactly what my wife said when I posed the question to her. Well then therein lies part of the problem. Those of you with children, would love to hear from you.

Funny, that's exactly what my wife said when I posed the question to her.  Well then therein lies part of the problem.  Those of you with children, would love to hear from you.

661656[/snapback]

Mine are too young yet, but I was raised the same way, got a ten speed when I was twelve and was told I would pay for my next bike myself. Got my first paper route the day the Blizzard of 77 hit and delivered them on Crescent Ave.

See a lot of kids playing video games and being chauffered to soccer or lacrosse practice.

We hear it all the time.  The illegals are only doing the jobs Americans won't do.  My brother owns a landscape business in WNY.  We talked today while he was working.  Guess who was helping him mulch a Home Depot in Rochester?  His kids!  Yup, out on Easter break and they were working for him along with a couple of other teenagers from the neighborhood.  What a novel concept.  When I was a kid, we mowed the lawns, cleaned the pools, babysat each other, washed dishes and flipped burgers.  What are the kids doing now?  Elighten me as I don't have children so I don't know.  That line is a major copout.

661651[/snapback]

It's a two part statement -

1. There are jobs Americans will do

2. There are jobs that illegal immigrants will do for far less than prevailing and/or minimum wage because what they face at home (wherever that is) is far-far worse.

The Mexican economy would collapse tomorrow if funds sent from north of the border stopped. It is an indictment of the Mexican government that they rely on funds from somewhere else to prop themsleves up.

But hey, Mexico has no capitalistic impulse -

PEMEX could (and is) holding Mexico afloat - but even at a time of record crude oil prices :blink:

http://www.mexidata.info/id300.html

i don't think the line is a major copout, it's the truth. Now it may be because kids are lazy and their parents don't make them get jobs, but it is generally the truth. I live in NYC and i'm not sure the last time I saw a white (or black) busyboy or delivery person. They simply don't exist.

Last summer I was in a dunkin donuts on 8th ave and these 2 very attractive european girls - looked to be 19 or so, were applying for jobs. They obviously had no clue that 5'10 blonde girls in new york generally don't work at dunkin donuts for $7 an hour...

It's a two part statement -

2.  There are jobs that illegal immigrants will do for far less than prevailing and/or minimum wage because what they face at home (wherever that is) is far-far worse.

661668[/snapback]

Well there's an arguement for doing away with minimum wage. Teenagers don't need that much, just enough for movies on the weekend etc. I remember my dad sitting me down in his office and telling me he was giving me a raise. I told him, "I know, you have to. They just raised minimum wage. I read it in the paper this morning."

I worked for minimum wage and always had money in my pocket. I made $30-40 a week and felt like I was loaded.

i don't think the line is a major copout, it's the truth. Now it may be because kids are lazy and their parents don't make them get jobs, but it is generally the truth. I live in NYC and i'm not sure the last time I saw a white (or black) busyboy or delivery person. They simply don't exist.

Last summer I was in a dunkin donuts on 8th ave and these 2 very attractive european girls - looked to be 19 or so, were applying for  jobs. They obviously had no clue that 5'10 blonde girls in new york generally don't work at dunkin donuts for $7 an hour...

661670[/snapback]

My daughter had an allowance and at 17 when she whined about more $$ - I did what my folks did - told her to get a "job". She complained that she had no car - so I explained there were plenty of businesses within reasonable walking distance.

More whining - but her paycheck taught her valuable lessons that keep on teaching. She'll be 25 this year - and already owns her own condo and is looking at new(ish) cars.

Even better - when she became a full-time taxpayer - she found out what that whole "voting" thing was about :blink:

Well there's an arguement for doing away with minimum wage.  Teenagers don't need that much, just enough for movies on the weekend etc.  I remember my dad sitting me down in his office and telling me he was giving me a raise.  I told him, "I know, you have to.  They just raised minimum wage. I read it in the paper this morning." 

I worked for minimum wage and always had money in my pocket.  I made $30-40 a week and felt like I was loaded.

661674[/snapback]

Yeh but you didn't have to pay for IPODS, Video Cams, Cell Phones and gas for their new car....I was just happy to have a bicycle to ride.

Last summer I was in a dunkin donuts on 8th ave and these 2 very attractive european girls - looked to be 19 or so, were applying for  jobs. They obviously had no clue that 5'10 blonde girls in new york generally don't work at dunkin donuts for $7 an hour...

661670[/snapback]

The line is a copout because it's coming from people who's children are described in Tom's post. You say that it's jobs that Americans won't do. Teenagers, for the most part, don't willingly go off to work, they're forced to do them. See Bob's post. I started working at my father's restaurant at 14 after working for two years with a paper route. I love working in the restaurant...for about one month. Then hated it, but did it because I was forced to by my parents (damn slave drivers :blink: ) But it made me and my siblings what we are today. Very hard working, very successful people. I fear how the next generation, and the generation after that is going to turn out.

Yeh but you didn't have to pay for IPODS, Video Cams, Cell Phones and gas for their new car....I was just happy to have a bicycle to ride.

661676[/snapback]

No but I played in a band, had drum heads, drum sticks, cymbals, records, stereo equipment and of course ubiquitous bag of "weed" Mom and dad bought NOTHING other than food, shelter and sometimes clothes. But never the weed. :wub:

Drove my mom's car all through high school. And loved it. Chevy Impala with a 350 four barrel......sucker had balls, and a nice back seat. :blink:

Well there's an arguement for doing away with minimum wage.  Teenagers don't need that much, just enough for movies on the weekend etc.  I remember my dad sitting me down in his office and telling me he was giving me a raise.  I told him, "I know, you have to.  They just raised minimum wage. I read it in the paper this morning." 

I worked for minimum wage and always had money in my pocket.  I made $30-40 a week and felt like I was loaded.

661674[/snapback]

Minimum wage is a givernment construct with absolutely no meaning

Minimum wage is for workers breaking into the job market at the beginning levels.

It was never intended to be a "living" wage for a family of 4 in N. America.

Before I left Buffalo where the minimum wage still hovered aroun $6 - I had contacts in N. Indiana and Boston telling me about $10 - and jobs going begging.

Minimum wage is market driven - supply and demand

Right now - we are paying our temps $10 - $11 hour (DOE) and the bottom of the barrel ain't pretty plus turnover is a constant battle

Most of them are youngsters with a bare work ethic - must be parents telling them to "go get a job"

The line is a copout because it's coming from people who's children are described in Tom's post.  You say that it's jobs that Americans won't do.  Teenagers, for the most part, don't willingly go off to work, they're forced to do them.  See Bob's post.  I started working at my father's restaurant at 14 after working for two years with a paper route.  I love working in the restaurant...for about one month.  Then hated it, but did it because I was forced to by my parents (damn slave drivers  :blink: )  But it made me and my siblings what we are today.  Very hard working, very successful people.  I fear how the next generation, and the generation after that is going to turn out.

661679[/snapback]

My parents allowed me to get a job at 15 - what were working papers ?

Corner drug store - $1.55 hr (1972) - worked there almost two years and learned many life lessons.

I spent much time in the restaurant business - I tried to get my daughter to be a waitress at a friend's place - she declined. If there is one job that will teach you about life and people - it's in a restaurant. The work may be hard but the lessons are invaluable.

My parents allowed me to get a job at 15 - what were working papers ?

Corner drug store - $1.55 hr (1972) - worked there almost two years and learned many life lessons.

I spent much time in the restaurant business - I tried to get my daughter to be a waitress at a friend's place - she declined.  If there is one job that will teach you about life and people - it's in a restaurant. The work may be hard but the lessons are invaluable.

661688[/snapback]

True, like I posted someplace else. It teaches you how much Jack you can drink and still get Frank Sinatra's pasta correct. Because if you know what's good for you, NEVER fugg up Frank's pasta.

Minimum wage is a givernment construct with absolutely no meaning

Minimum wage is for workers breaking into the job market at the beginning levels.

It was never intended to be a "living" wage for a family of 4 in N. America.

Minimum wage is market driven - supply and demand

Right now - we are paying our temps $10 - $11 hour (DOE) and the bottom of the barrel ain't pretty plus turnover is a constant battle

Most of them are youngsters with a bare work ethic - must be parents telling them to "go get a job"

661686[/snapback]

depends how you see it. some economists see minimum wage as a restriction on the economy, while others believe that the government intervening and setting a minimum wage will prevent exploitation and increasing the inequality gap

I think this trend started happening with my generation. When I was in high school there were two distinct strata of kids. There were the rich kids who had the new cars and never worked but ALWAYS had money, then there were kids like me who worked at sh------- 3.50 an hour jobs and were threilled to bring home a $40 paycheck. My folks instilled in me the idea that if you want something, you have to do damn near ANYTHING to get it, so long as it's legal.

I'm instilling the same idea in my kid. If she wants something, and she wants it badly enough, she needs to claw and fight and step on whomever it takes to get it. I am not gonna hand anything to her, not even a college education (despite what her mother might say).

if kids don't have a stake, why should they care?

We hear it all the time.  The illegals are only doing the jobs Americans won't do.  My brother owns a landscape business in WNY.  We talked today while he was working.  Guess who was helping him mulch a Home Depot in Rochester?  His kids!  Yup, out on Easter break and they were working for him along with a couple of other teenagers from the neighborhood.  What a novel concept.  When I was a kid, we mowed the lawns, cleaned the pools, babysat each other, washed dishes and flipped burgers.  What are the kids doing now?  Elighten me as I don't have children so I don't know.  That line is a major copout.

661651[/snapback]

Why do we have "jobs Americans won't do" and welfare, food stamps, etc. If there are 12 million illegals doing these jobs, and surviving, couldn't we get rid of the criminalgrants and force anyone who wants government handouts to work these jobs instead of sitting home watching Springer?

I delivered papers, raked leaves, cut grass,shoveled snow at age 11...One of the home owners had a restaraunt, offered us jobs at 13 to do dishes and prep....The restaraunt owner today has an alternative, hire american school-age kids who can work a max of 20 hr's a week by law? or hire an illegal worker fulltime, and not deal with shuffling the schedule....So not only are american adults wages being undercut, schoolage workers are not hired cuz of work hourl limits, where the illegal has no such restrictions...

661670[/snapback]

Perhaps it was a scene from the new season of The Simple Life?