Mel Kiper on Mike & Mike this morning

Man, if D'Brickashaw Ferguson is still available after the first 7 picks have been made, they should FedEx the draft card w/ his name on it to the podium.

661415[/snapback]

Or maybe have FedEx sponsor the taking of the draft card to the podium...after all, Ralph needs the revenue :doh:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't it be funny if D'Brick was there and we then trade down. I remember in the 01 draft when everyone was all gaga over Kenyatta Walker. He fell to us at pick 14 or so and we traded down with TB, netting Clements and a 2nd rd. pick. I think this board would explode if D'Brick were there and we then trade down.

I like several DT's in a lot of different rounds, and they all are described the same way--exactly the way our coaches described the guy they want with Triplett: A penetrating DT who is disruptive, requires double-teams, and who has some speed. In Round 1, that's Bunkley. But there are several great DT's in the 2nd Round, too. Here's a list of who we might be taking, and who we won't:

DVORACEK? No.

“share of injury and off the field problems which would be two big concerns of NFL teams that are interested in drafting him. He has had anger problems in the past and was kicked off of the Oklahoma football team two games into the 2004 season because of that problem”

WATSON? No.

“lost his starting position due to lack of motivation”

“Conditioning and motivation seem to be the two factors that could concern scouts.”

ROD WRIGHT? No.

“questionable work ethic as well as durability issues”

WROTEN? Yes, in the 2nd Round.

ORIEN HARRIS? Yes, 2nd Round.

MAHELONA? Yes, 2nd Round.

“He plays every down as though it were his last and leaves everything on the field. He is a very hard worker who is never satisfied with his play and is always striving for continuous improvement.”

LEWIS? Yes, 2nd Round.

“very durable player who hasn’t missed a single game due to injury in his career.”

KYLE WILLIAMS? Yes, 2nd Round.

“extremely hard worker with a non-stop motor.”

“blue collar player”

McCARGO? Maybe.

“academic all-ACC performer for his accomplishments in the classroom.”

“Some also question whether he was a product of the players around him, with first round prospects Manny Lawson and Mario Williams as his defensive ends.”

661408[/snapback]

Agreed. Everytime I look at DT in the first rd even though it is a glaring need I see the same thing: 1st round pick on a question mark or 2nd round pick on a player nearly as good (or better perhaps?) who fits our system.

I don't see going the DT route in the 1st round: D'Brick, Hawk, Huff or Justice (in that order) sound better to me.

Wouldn't it be funny if D'Brick was there and we then trade down.  I remember in the 01 draft when everyone was all gaga over Kenyatta Walker.  He fell to us at pick 14 or so and we traded down with TB, netting Clements and a 2nd rd. pick.  I think this board would explode if D'Brick were there and we then trade down.

661475[/snapback]

Kenyatta Walker was not nearly the prospect that D'Brickshaw is. I would find it very hard to believe if he fell to #8 that we wouldn't take him but stranger things have happened.

Agreed. Everytime I look at DT in the first rd even though it is a glaring need I see the same thing: 1st round pick on a question mark or 2nd round pick on a player nearly as good (or better perhaps?) who fits our system.

I don't see going the DT route in the 1st round: D'Brick, Hawk, Huff or Justice (in that order) sound better to me.

You know I agree with you. We're getting a damm good DT in the 2nd, and we're going to take BPA in the first.

I would imagine that, if Ferguson manages somehow to fall to us at #8, that the price for trading down would almost be too good to pass up...

That would make for quite the dilemma.

660978[/snapback]

Only because we are the Bills, and are used to foresaking the left tackle position, let alone using the #4 to draft a RT who was a fat, injured slob.

If Ferguson falls to #8 (which he absolutely will not) the only thing that should prevent the Bills from taking him is if (God Forbid) somebody has a stroke running up to the podium to deliver our choice to Tags.

Where were you for the past 5 years?

661430[/snapback]

Best case scenario: most all the QB prospects get drafted ahead of the Bills and someone desperately wants to trade up to get the last top QB prospect - Bills trade down a few spots and get the extra premium pick

Best case scenario # 2: The Bills get a choice to take one of the following - AJ Hawk, D'Brick or Huff.

Worst case scenario: The Bills have V. Young and Cutler on the board and the Bills don't get any trade offers and still take Ngata at #8.

My best scenario would be: Bills trade down - exchange number #1's which they use to take DT Bunkley and pick up a #2 as well.

Mike and Mike? Those two are a couple of idiots. My dogs have a more accurate mock draft.

And, just for the record, my dogs have the Bills trading down.

660967[/snapback]

Why is it that every journalist is an idiot, I see this on every message board. I guess all of us message board "experts" know so much more that we can berate professional journalists.

Why is it that every journalist is an idiot, I see this on every message board.  I guess all of us message board "experts" know so much more that we can berate professional journalists.

661734[/snapback]

You're right Hammer...but you probably picked the wrong place to make your point. Mike and Mike are NOT professional journalists...they are radio talk show hosts.

But, your point remains.

I would be happy with D'Brick or Davis or Huff and definitely Hawk. No need to mention the whole need vs. best player stuff anymore. The people who talk about need are in another universe full of 6-10 and 7-9 football teams. We don't improve this team by getting less talented players because we like where they play on the field...that's the path to mediocrity.

What I'm wondering, is what are the chances that two years from now Justice is better than D'Brick? I throw that out as one option, but we are sure to see surprises two years from now, and this draft won't be what people thought. So let's hope our draft guys are smarter or luckier than the competition.

That's the way the 2009 announcers will say "This Super Bowl run really started in 2006 with that draft. The first draft after firing GM Donohue, the Bills nailed it, and have two pro bowlers and five total starters to show for it."

You're right Hammer...but you probably picked the wrong place to make your point.  Mike and Mike are NOT professional journalists...they are radio talk show hosts.

But, your point remains.

662019[/snapback]

Last time I checked working regularly for ESPN makes you a professional journalist.

Last time I checked working regularly for ESPN makes you a professional journalist.

662429[/snapback]

I disagree. It make you a professional SOMETHING...but, and perhaps it's my media background, a "journalist" is trained and operates by set of codes, ethics, etc. Radio talk show hosts jobs are there to instigate, for the most part. They deal, mostly, in opinion, and they strive to make "interesting" radio by creating/inciting controversy. Notice how few talk show hosts (or columnists) are reasonable, weight both sides, talk about pros and cons? That doesn't make good radio (apparently). ESPN, partly based on the success of PArdon the Interruption (I guess) seems to think good TV is having two guys disagree about topics and yell back and forth at each other and insult each other personally.

It's become the same thing on news nets, too. John Stewart made a point by bringing that up on crossfire.

John Clayton (like him or not) is a journalist. (When they make he and Salisbury yell back and forth at each other, he's not operating as a journalist, but as "entertainment".) Mort is a journalist. Feinstein is a journalist. Mike and Mike are talk show hosts.

Kenyatta Walker was not nearly the prospect that D'Brickshaw is. I would find it very hard to believe if he fell to #8 that we wouldn't take him but stranger things have happened.

Agreed...But is he the kind of prospect that Mike Williams, Bryant Mckinney are?

I still say that Vernon Davis could still be available at 8....

You just dont normally draft TE's that high....

661021[/snapback]

I agree.

You normally don't draft TE's that high but how many before have had the same attributes as VD?

If he is a freak of nature, it's only natural he will go higher than TE's normally go.

Best case scenario: most all the QB prospects get drafted ahead of the Bills and someone desperately wants to trade up to get the last top QB prospect - Bills trade down a few spots and get the extra premium pick

Best case scenario # 2:  The Bills get a choice to take one of the following - AJ Hawk, D'Brick or Huff.

Worst case scenario: The Bills have V. Young and Cutler on the board and the Bills don't get any trade offers and still take Ngata at #8.

My best scenario would be: Bills trade down - exchange number #1's which they use to take DT Bunkley and pick up a #2 as well.

661722[/snapback]

Um...that's 3 Best scenarios :rolleyes:

Re #2: I think there is a high likelyhood of this. Assuming D'Brick & AJ are gone, Huff most likely will be there at #8.

Wouldn't it be funny if D'Brick was there and we then trade down.  I remember in the 01 draft when everyone was all gaga over Kenyatta Walker.  He fell to us at pick 14 or so and we traded down with TB, netting Clements and a 2nd rd. pick.  I think this board would explode if D'Brick were there and we then trade down.

661475[/snapback]

Yea, I remember how this board was. It's funny. Clements would be harder to re-sign that Walker would for the Vikes. His value is alot higher and is on the verge of making more PB; the same can't be said about Kenyatta. :rolleyes:

Only because we are the Bills, and are used to foresaking the left tackle position, let alone using the #4 to draft a RT who was a fat, injured slob.

If Ferguson falls to #8 (which he absolutely will not) the only thing that should prevent the Bills from taking him is if (God Forbid) somebody has a stroke running up to the podium to deliver our choice to Tags.

661565[/snapback]

LOL! Or completely forget to like the Vikes have been known to do. :rolleyes:

You know I agree with you. We're getting a damm good DT in the 2nd, and we're going to take BPA in the first.

661538[/snapback]

Problem: BPA in 1st, DT in 2nd...when do we upgrade our OL?

Hopefully Brick falls to us. It might happen if the jets take a QB.