Price's contract numbers

- I would also like to remind everyone that he may have been a spoiled brat when he left (and a talented one at that) but going through ups and downs as he has done has a way of humbling and creating a little character. I will wait and see on that one.

Yep. And it can toughen one up. If he played "soft" before and didn't know how good he had it in Buffalo, I'd think that he will savor the 2nd chance and be a terrific WR.

Per Pasta Bellly:

While we agree that the NFL's revenue-sharing plan is not an area that should come under scrutiny of Congress, a group that rarely has demonstrated fiscal responsibility, the attacks on Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson, who has pleaded his case to his local representatives, are getting a little tiresome. There are a lot of Wilson critics lining up with the league on a plan that has yet to be completely defined, even more than a month after its adoption. On one financial issue, though, it's hard to defend Wilson and the Bills: Doling out a four-year, $10.5 million contract to free agent wide receiver Peerless Price, who rejoins the Bills after an unproductive, three-year hiatus.

During his four seasons with the Bills, Price averaged 58 catches and 825.5 yards, and the tenure culminated in what was supposed to be a 2002 breakout season, when he had 94 receptions, 1,252 yards and nine touchdowns. The Bills squeezed a first-round draft pick in 2003 out of Atlanta, which rewarded Price with a contract that included a $10 million signing bonus.

But while Price's bank account shot up, his game spiraled, and he has averaged just 38.3 receptions and 503 yards since leaving the Buffalo organization. Even though Price didn't have suitors beating down his door this spring -- the only other franchise that we were able to confirm as having real interest in him was New England, and the Pats were believed to be offering just a minimum-salary deal -- Buffalo still gave him a $1.8 million signing bonus and base salary of $800,000 for 2006. The rest of the deal: base salaries of $1.6 million (2007), $2 million (2008) and $2.8 million (2009), with annual roster bonuses of $500,000 each.

But even if the Bills don't keep Price beyond the '06 season, they'll have invested $2.6 million in a guy who played in only seven games last season and had just six catches for 96 yards. The Bills are trying to develop a "lead' receiver from its young wideout group, and two-year veteran Lee Evans is the most likely player to step into that spot. Even in his best years, Price wasn't a No. 1 receiver, and he isn't apt to suddenly grow into one at this point in his career. If the Bills keep throwing good money at suspect players like Price, Wilson might have a tough time getting even his Congressmen to listen to him.

he may be soft, but if hes used correctly he can be a big weapon. speed is speed. and with evans on the field at the same time, they can cause some problems.

659275[/snapback]

Hopefully the QB won't be flat on his back when the receivers get open!

During his four seasons with the Bills, Price averaged 58 catches and 825.5 yards, and the tenure culminated in what was supposed to be a 2002 breakout season, when he had 94 receptions, 1,252 yards and nine touchdowns. The Bills squeezed a first-round draft pick in 2003 out of Atlanta, which rewarded Price with a contract that included a $10 million signing bonus.

But while Price's bank account shot up, his game spiraled, and he has averaged just 38.3 receptions and 503 yards since leaving the Buffalo organization.

"There are lies, damn lies, and..."

The only reason Price averaged "38.3 receptions and 503 yards since leaving Buffalo" is because Pastabelly added-in last year, where Price caught a whopping 6 passes for 96 yards, thanks in large part to missing ALL of training camp and pre-season with the Cowboys, and being buried behind such losers as Terry Glenn, Keyshawn Johnson, Jason Witten, and even Patrick Crayton. Without that aberration of a year, he averaged 54.5 receptions for 706.5 yards with the Falcons, with Vick as his QB.

And in a similar vein, Price's average stats with the Bills were inflated by Bledsoe's presence in 2002 (thankfully for the Bills!). Just for the sake of argument, if we exclude that year as an aberration as well, his stats were 46 receptions for 683 yards over his first 3 years. Now since those WERE his first 3 years, I'll say those are a little lower than they should have been, and probably higher than what he averaged in Atlanta. So to say his "game [has] spiraled" is spurious at best.

Now let me say that I'm not overly happy that the Bills gave Price a $1.8M signing bonus when no one else would even give him more than the minimum, but it won't kill the Bills. It just leaves me worried that Marv got hoodwinked by Price's agent. And I can only hope if that's true, Marv learned a valuable lesson, so to speak.

I don't get this deal. I hope Parrish beats him out. Peerless is soft, and always has been.

659264[/snapback]

well, in 2002, he put up one of the greatest seasons ever for a bills receiver. i watched every game that year, and he was spectacular. cut the guy a little slack.

And in a similar vein, Price's average stats with the Bills were inflated by Bledsoe's presence in 2002 (thankfully for the Bills!). 

664104[/snapback]

?

bledsoe and the teams he played on put up poor passing numbers in the seasons before and after 2002. in fact, up until this past season (and even this is quite arguable), one could argue that except for 2002 -- the only season he had price -- he's been a mediocre at best qb since the end of the 1998 season.

?

bledsoe and the teams he played on put up poor passing numbers in the seasons before and after 2002. in fact, up until this past season (and even this is quite arguable), one could argue that except for 2002 -- the only season he had price -- he's been a mediocre at best qb since the end of the 1998 season.

Well the same could be said for Price and his 2002 season. The point being that Price is NOT a 94 catch 1,200 yard WR and Bledsoe admittedly is not a 4,000 yard passer, at least not anymore.

The only reason Price averaged "38.3 receptions and 503 yards since leaving Buffalo" is because Pastabelly added-in last year, where Price caught a whopping 6 passes for 96 yards, thanks in large part to missing ALL of training camp and pre-season with the Cowboys, and being buried behind such losers as Terry Glenn, Keyshawn Johnson, Jason Witten, and even Patrick Crayton.  Without that aberration of a year, he averaged 54.5 receptions for 706.5 yards with the Falcons, with Vick as his QB.

And in a similar vein, Price's average stats with the Bills were inflated by Bledsoe's presence in 2002 (thankfully for the Bills!).  Just for the sake of argument, if we exclude that year as an aberration as well, his stats were 46 receptions for 683 yards over his first 3 years.  Now since those WERE his first 3 years, I'll say those are a little lower than they should have been, and probably higher than what he averaged in Atlanta.  So to say his "game [has] spiraled" is spurious at best.

Now let me say that I'm not overly happy that the Bills gave Price a $1.8M signing bonus when no one else would even give him more than the minimum, but it won't kill the Bills.  It just leaves me worried that Marv got hoodwinked by Price's agent.  And I can only hope if that's true, Marv learned a valuable lesson, so to speak.

664104[/snapback]

Speaking of using stats to support any point, a real and fair assessment of Price's time in Buffalo if it is going to invest in the fiction of merely ignoring 2002 as an aberration (it is simply a fiction to arbitratily throw this year out as an aberration because convenient or not for your argument it did happen in reality) should look at his production during his time here.

Rather than 2002 simply being dismissed as an averration it is pretty consistent with the progress of his career here. If you look at Price's 4 years he actually improved in yardage, receptions and TDs each year.

The case can easily be made that the aberration in fact was Price's lack of production in AT.

My sense is that if one is looking for an explanation of his lack of AT production it more likely is:

1. Though his numbers are clearly those of a productive #2 WR, he is not really a go-to guy as a #1 WR.

Fortunately, the Bills will use him as a #2 WR at the most and if he is on the backside of his career it is probable that Parrish will beat him out and in fact he will be used as a 3rd WR. I have few problems with having my #3 being Price who if his speed is anywhere near where it was he will eat nickel backs for lunch.

2. I think Price never really was a good match with the talents of Michael Vick. The Price game was all about beat the CB with his first steps or if the CB plats deeo in anticipation of a fly pattern cut off the route and receive a quick pass and go for RAC. Vick is all about looking to run if he has a chance which allows the CB to play back to nullify PP speed and if Vick is looking to run possibly the likely hood of him dumping it off to PP when he turns it in is not likely. In particular, Price benefited from single coverage as Moulds often commanded a double-team, if PP is the #1 you double him by playing a CB in press coverage (cutting off any dump off to him) and double him deep with the corner or safety watching Vick to see if he runs and watching PP to see if he beats the press coverage.

3. If one is looking to throw out any PP year as an aberration you have a far better candidate with his paltry numbers with Dallas last yearas there is good reason playing behind several WRs he simply was not going to get much PT unless his production demanded it. My sense is that PP is not #1 material so it is little surprise he did not freelance his way into the Boys lineup.

Will PP be a reliable #2 for the Bills?

Who knows for sure until we see how he teams with Ecans, but given he had year off in essence last year to heal any wounds he got in AT and the Bills docs have a pretty good record of diagnosing the severitty and recoverability of injuries (see WM) there is not an unreasonable chance that Price MAT actually become a valuable #2 and actually a pretty good chance he will be useful as a #3.

If anything the big questions at WR are whether Evans has the middle of the field ability that Moulds had (has no fear and the abilility to make the occaisional circus catch) and thus commands a double team with his speed which will help make better WRs out of Parrish and Price, Parrish looked good for a rookie but he also will have to avoid having the awful sophmore slump which Josh Reed had after a productive rookie season for him.

As long as Price is healthy I think he can do the job to be a #2 or #3 WR for us.

From what I've read about the situation in Atlanta, Michael Vick (I prefer Ron Mexico) and his ability to run a pro offense is not to be questioned.  So apparently, rather than looking at the entire offense (including the QB), the coaching staff chose to put the blame entirely on the wideouts.  Peerless has always had an attitude, so he reacted in somewhat of a punk fashion.  That guaranteed him a trip out.  I don't think Peerless is a number one receiver, but as a number two with speed, he can cause some damage.  Let's hope marv can get his head back on straight.

If it works out, there will be two very fast wideouts on the corners, which would draw saftey help and leave the middle open.  That's a big "if" since a QB capable of getting the ball to them is necessary.

659342[/snapback]

One of these days the people of Atlanta will realize that the Michael Vick experiment has been a complete failure.

One of these days the people of Atlanta will realize that the Michael Vick experiment has been a complete failure.

664214[/snapback]

in 2004 the Falcons were 11-5 and one shot from the super bowl. What part of that is a complete failure?

And I don't know his lifetime record but it's in the 70+% winning. Just like a bills quarterback since, uh,

actually, I really don;t know his w/l % - I'm just guessing. still it's good.

The only reason Price averaged "38.3 receptions and 503 yards since leaving Buffalo" is because Pastabelly added-in last year, where Price caught a whopping 6 passes for 96 yards, thanks in large part to missing ALL of training camp and pre-season with the Cowboys, and being buried behind such losers as Terry Glenn, Keyshawn Johnson, Jason Witten, and even Patrick Crayton.

664104[/snapback]

I would like to see Witten come here and practice his losing ways. :w00t:

664214[/snapback]

Havent you heard? It is all of the WR's fault. Vick throws perfect passes, but the WR's just cant catch them. Vick is never at fault.