Who is your favorite former-player announcer?

bartshan-83

I enjoy listening to Aikman, Simms, and Boomer Esiason. Daryl Johnston is solid. I liked Sterling Sharpe a lot as well. And hey - I think Steve Tasker is relatively new but is getting to be quite good.

Guys I don't like are Bradshaw, Deion, Paul McGuire (sorry), and most of all the ever grating, always obnoxious Cris Collinsworth.

Case in point - with 2:40 left last week in the Indy/GB game, Manning had about a 2 minute conversation with Ed Hochuli. He then went up to the line of scrimmage and proceeded to do his loathsome "I'm calling an audible act" by walking up and down the line and back and forth while trying to drag Green Bay offsides. Peyton the preener is AT HOME, mind you, and he's still pretending the crowd noise requires him to consult with his entire offense before running a play (If the GB "road" fans were indeed causing that much noise, big ups to them. I'm very skeptical though.) However, since Green Bay was alive I'm sure they realized that he was confirming with Hochuli in that conference that the 40 second clock would expire just after the 2:00 warning hit so he was in no danger of losing five yards. So none of them were remotely fooled...but Collinsworth was. He gushed after the play "I think Peyton Manning never had any intention of snapping that ball and was trying to pull Green Bay offsides for a first down the whole time." Geesh - you think, Cris? He's a dumb know-it-all - clearly the worst kind.

I liked Todd Christiansen, but the the NFL dumped him because he was too interested in football.

I also like the few times I've heard Chris Spielman call games; the guy had/has an innate understanding fo whats going on out there far beyond most players and even coaches.

Even though everybody is down on him I also like John Madden. He's interesting, informative and instead of shilling for the league, tells it like it is. While most despise his boombangmucking style, it doesn't bother me because I think he comes by his passion honestly.

I don't know if he's a former player, but Jerry Glanville is a scream in the booth. Had me in stitches every time I heard him.

I'd like to hear Ron Jaworski call a game. Seems like an OK guy and as a former QB probably has good eyes.

Guys I don't like:

Just about every self-important, soap-opera lovin, network shillin, vainglorious windbag on the air today.

I'm probably going to take heat for this but I love Paul Maquire on ESPN Sunday Night Football. He is always insightful and has an uncanny ability to correctly call a penalty long before other announcers.

That said, I don't care for him at all on Budweiser Sportsline on Empire. Totally different guy who acts like a complete homer with players, coaches and management alike.

BTW, Marino et al, on HBO are horrible. A collection of ex-jocks who are all brawn and no brains. Costas must be counting the minutes until his contract is up.