LOST 2.18 Discussion Thread

Libby lends a helping hand to Hurley to support him when he begins to think the island is having a strange effect on him, and Locke's sense of purpose is shaken when the prisoner gives him new information about the hatch.

A Hurley-centric episode.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I felt like it was an entertaining episode, some new nuggets were doled out -- but I wasn't blown away by it for some reason.

It was obvious right away what was going on with Dave & Hurley, and everyone always figured Libby was either an "Other" or in the hospital w/ Hurley. So at least that is now confirmed.

The most interesting pieces for me were the ones involving Henry Gale and Locke. But not much there -- though I think Gale is totally f'ing with Locke. He hit the button -- just a different set of numbers (still just a total guess, no proof on that).

Yes, lots to chew on is right....

So, in another show I used to watch, called "due South" a ghost character was introduced, more or less to provide a surrogate to the main character's internal thoughts. Not sure what role Dave played (did anyone catch the Cheech and Chong "Dave's not here, man" reference early in? :P The actor (he's a comedian, right?) played that really well. Line of the night: "Way to go for the high-percentage shot!" when the guy placed the ball on the floor. :lol: ) . But it did allow us to see that Hurley internalized his problem through eating more food. This played out in the island/Dharma dropping more food when Hurley went destructo on his Dharma stash. And it follows a logical string that the (sub?)concious Hurley might be expected to follow. The island is composed of a bunch of stuff from the hospital, most notably the numbers. Therefore, Hurley's subconsiou is saying, 'If I kill myself, it'll all reset.' It's kind of a last refuge of someone who's got psychological problems and yet is cognizant of the possibility that all that's around him is a delusion/dream. So, while Dave is imaginary and it is evidence that Hurley was/is a little nutso, it can also be viewed as a reaction to the stuff happening around him.

The ending was a Whoa moment, but had been hinted at when Hurley said he thought he remembered her from somewhere.. So.... is Libby pretending to be a psychologist on the island?... Did she get out of the ward and become one (I have heard of this happening, tho the timeframe is rather short, I believe, from when Hurley was in the hospital to when the plane crashed --- maybe 2 years?). Is she stalking Hurley? Was the hospital run by the Hanso or Dharma people?

How's that for 'You better not screw with Hurley.' Did Sawyer not look very pathetic when faced with the prospect that he couldn't control everything?

As for the 5 minutes they devoted to the Henry Gale story.... What I suspected from the start was true. Said that Mr. Friendly/Zeke was a virtual nobody in the Other's group. And that the code is a pschological experiment joke just to see how long someone will push the buttons. The map on the door last week seemed to suggest that (specifically the part about CVIII being inoperative) Wonder if we'll see Desmond again to get any more input.

Yes, lots to chew on is right....

So, in another show I used to watch, called "due South" a ghost character was introduced, more or less to provide a surrogate to the main character's internal thoughts.

Most underrated show ever. I bought all three seasons when they were released on DVD a couple years ago. Good times.

As for the 5 minutes they devoted to the Henry Gale story.... What I suspected from the start was true. Said that Mr. Friendly/Zeke was a virtual nobody in the Other's group. And that the code is a pschological experiment joke just to see how long someone will push the buttons.

653705[/snapback]

And we're supposed to take everything that comes out of this guy's mouth as fact?! He's been lying continuously since he's been in the hatch - even after being called out for his original story, he tries to lie again only to be trumped by Sayid's dollar bill with the note on it. Why should we believe the new stuff - just cuz he said "i'm done lying?" But i'm not convinced that he's there accidentally. I think he's there to get info. I mean if the "others" wanted to come get him, don't you think they have the power to do so?

Anyway I think this episode served a greater purpose. What's the worst thing we all fear? That at the end of the series this whole thing will be somebody's dream or hallucination. Well, by bringing in this episode now, i think the writers are trying to rassure us that they wouldn't do that to us.

It's really amazing how unique this show is. Each week there are some answers but usually more questions/mysteries are created. And of course each week you get more drawn in.

I don't know guys, call me crazy but that episode (and the last few) didn't do much for me. This show needs to pick it up a bit.

Did we learn anything new at all here? We knew Hugo was crazy, we just found out why. They didn't really develop any new ground with the Henry Gale guy. The blond girl Libby is a crazy? Wow, that really matters.

I've watched this show since the first episode premiered and will probably watch the rest, but the wheel spinning is bumming me out. We need something big to happen soon...

Usually the previews tip us off to when some major character is going to die. But when I saw Hurley on that cliffside I din't think he was going to jump, I thought the land would give. That was nice camera work on the view downward from the cliff. Libby looks and acts like a granola girl. My guess is that Libby's drug experience isn't limited to the psycho ward.

Good drama can frustrate the audience. Knowing that anything "Henry Gale" says should not be believed and having characters (Locke) continue to fall for his ploys is one example. I think it is time that Sayid goes another round with "Gale".

A more thorough interrogation of "Gale" should be a priority. Who are the Others and how did they get there? Why do they do what they do? I mean, these people are searching for raspberries and washing their socks when their fellow survivors have been mysteriously kidnapped and murdered. And people continue to stroll from the shore to the caves and the hatch by themselves like they are going out for a gallon of milk? Then, one of there fellow survivors shows up to ask why they are out there all alone. Yeah, that is what I want to know! Answers to many questions are sitting in "Locke's hatch" yet these survivors are carrying on like they are at the Boy Scout's Jamboree!

I am looking forward to the returns of Zeke, Dave, Desmond and Rousseau. I wonder if the writers will introduce any more natural freaks such as the Polar Bear and the puff of smoke or if that was simply used to establish a perception of the bizarre daily offerings of island life. Where has the puff been anyways? And Michael's story has to have gotten interesting by now.

As for Due South, I thought that show was great but it was on Friday nights which is historically the worst night for television viewership. One exception on Friday's is the successful Ghost Whisperer with Jennifer Love Hewitt, which doesn't need a whole lot of explanation...

I don't know guys, call me crazy but that episode (and the last few) didn't do much for me. This show needs to pick it up a bit.

Did we learn anything new at all here? We knew Hugo was crazy, we just found out why. They didn't really develop any new ground with the Henry Gale guy. The blond girl Libby is a crazy? Wow, that really matters.

I've watched this show since the first episode premiered and will probably watch the rest, but the wheel spinning is bumming me out. We need something big to happen soon...

654192[/snapback]

I'm with you. And WTF is Hurley doing just trashing all his hoarded food? Ummm...maybe some of the other crash survivors would have appreciated it (Hurley and Libby didn't know about the air-dropped food at the time)? I went from liking the guy to thinking he was a prick with that scene.

Where the hell is Desmond?

Why didn't Locke tell anyone about the Black Light map?

Jack asks Ana Lucia to start up an army. Looks like they haven't done schit about it since then.

The 3 chicks go and check out the medical research hatch and what, didn't tell anyone about it?

To me the writers of the show have begun to think of themselves as too clever by half and keep adding more and more crap to the show when we had plenty of red meat to keep us busy to begin with. When the show first started it was rumored that it was only supposed to last 2-3 seasons, but at this rate it's going to take 10 seasons to tie it up. It's starting to get a little ridiculous.

I am wondering about that deck that Hurly was on which he thinks it is his fault that it collapsed causing two deaths. Maybe Locke was on it causing injury to his legs? Maybe other passengers?

654361[/snapback]

I appreciate your line of thinking, but there has GOT to be a better reason for Locke's paralysis than that.

I appreciate your line of thinking, but there has GOT to be a better reason for Locke's paralysis than that.

654516[/snapback]

That was just an example - but I bet there is a link between the deck collapsing and someone on that island other than hurly.

Most underrated show ever. I bought all three seasons when they were released on DVD a couple years ago. Good times.

653838[/snapback]

Yep, it was a gem of a show. My batch of DVDs arrived a little fubar'ed. Heard that there's a new company that released all 3/4 seasons for cheap.

CBS yanked it around very unfairly (at one time, it was the highest-rated show on its night) which caused its straits. A certain vindication that the creator of it has now won the Oscar for best screenplay two years in a row.

And Michael's story has to have gotten interesting by now.

654219[/snapback]

As Harold Perrineau said in the DVD Extras, we find out in Season 2 that Michael really works for SD-6. :( Seriously, tho, they need to address what's happening to him. As the previews show that Jack will attempt a trade of Henry for Walt, I think it might happen next week.

Why didn't Locke tell anyone about the Black Light map?

Jack asks Ana Lucia to start up an army. Looks like they haven't done schit about it since then.

The 3 chicks go and check out the medical research hatch and what, didn't tell anyone about it?

654234[/snapback]

1. I think Locke wants to check it out closely for himself before he tells anyone. I'd also speculate that he experiments with the countdown sequence. He's in a bit of a situation with his leg, tho.

2. Sawyer's got all the guns, don't you know. He headed off the formation of the army, b/c he (warily) accepts the Others' offer of a truce as long as the Lostaways stay on their side of the island.

3. Well, it's not exactly an organized, centralized govt that everyone who's going to do something needs to tell everyone else what they're doing. I'm flashing on the Seinfeld bit about telling the airplane pilot, "I'm gonna have the peanuts now!" Live Together/Die Alone has its limits. And, Kate did tell Jack about the journey to the medical hatch. Largely, these people are on their own; then again it's not all that different than our lives in 'civilization.'

As for the 5 minutes they devoted to the Henry Gale story.... What I suspected from the start was true. Said that Mr. Friendly/Zeke was a virtual nobody in the Other's group. And that the code is a pschological experiment joke just to see how long someone will push the buttons. The map on the door last week seemed to suggest that (specifically the part about CVIII being inoperative) Wonder if we'll see Desmond again to get any more input.

653705[/snapback]

Is it possible that the powerful leader of the Others that Henry Gale was talking about was actually Henry Gale himself? The fear he displayed seemed a little too over the top to me (and the fact that he has been just a bit liberal with the truth).

I also wonder if the Dharma Initiative has some sort association with Hurley's mental ward (i.e. Could Hurley's doctor be employed by the DI?) Such a close association with the numbers and psychological research.