Can we finally say...

I know there was a lot of debate around the Bills status as being competitive in the NFL. With the talk on Losman, the departure of Moulds etal, is it safe to call the Bills rebuilding and a legit shot at another top 5 pick next year?

I do not think they are in a 5 year mind-set like San Fran or Dallas was, (because they are in a healthy cap state), however, they need a good draft this year and next and a really good free agent crop next year to hope to be competitive...

I see us picking in the top ten next year. I think for us to finish above that would be a GREAT job by ML and DJ. Ironic. Last year I thought anything short of a playoff berth would be a lousy season. We are definitely rebuilding judging from the players we let go.

I think that the Bills focus totally on both lines this year and "sell the farm" for Brady Quinn next year. Putting the people in place to help him succeed is sound football logic. I would concede to a rebuilding label only for this year.... teams in this league CAN rebound quickly! I don't discount the Bills from this type of scenario.

I know there was a lot of debate around the Bills status as being competitive in the NFL.  With the talk on Losman, the departure of Moulds etal, is it safe to call the Bills rebuilding and a legit shot at another top 5 pick next year?

I do not think they are in a 5 year mind-set like San Fran or Dallas was, (because they are in a healthy cap state), however, they need a good draft this year and next and a really good free agent crop next year to hope to be competitive...

653061[/snapback]

So releasing a proven veteran QB for a rookie didn't tell you we were rebuilding??? :rolleyes:

Did you really think he would lead us to 10 wins and the playoffs? It may have been possible but the team never addressed the portions of the offense and defense where were very very deficient. The lines.

So releasing a proven veteran QB for a rookie didn't tell you we were rebuilding???    :rolleyes:

Did you really think he would lead us to 10 wins and the playoffs?  It may have been possible but the team never addressed the portions of the offense and defense where were very very deficient.  The lines.

653319[/snapback]

Imagine that.

Maybe this is the year both the offensive and defensive lines are addressed in the draft. I could live w/ a scenario that gets us a solid interior OL, a young OT to push the incumbents or replace them, and a run stuffing DT. Maybe even add in a pass rusher to play opposite Schobel (a glaring weakness lost in the DT frenzy) and I'd call that a wonderful start.

Maybe this is the year both the offensive and defensive lines are addressed in the draft. I could live w/ a scenario that gets us a solid interior OL, a young OT to push the incumbents or replace them, and a run stuffing DT. Maybe even add in a pass rusher to play opposite Schobel (a glaring weakness lost in the DT frenzy) and I'd call that a wonderful start.

While I completely agree with you, all of that in one draft is a tall order. I was hopeful that some of those things could have been addressed in FA. Unfortunately it didn't work out that way.

So releasing a proven veteran QB for a rookie didn't tell you we were rebuilding???    :rolleyes:

Did you really think he would lead us to 10 wins and the playoffs?  It may have been possible but the team never addressed the portions of the offense and defense where were very very deficient.  The lines.

653319[/snapback]

But that is not called rebuilding......You brought back all your starters

except for a few changes.....Rebuilding is starting from scratch....

While I completely agree with you, all of that in one draft is a tall order.  I was hopeful that some of those things could have been addressed in FA.  Unfortunately it didn't work out that way.

653331[/snapback]

But we have Tripplett. Yikes! were in trouble.

653319[/snapback]

TD addressed the o-line he signed Peters and Brought in Bennie. We should have been SB champs last year, but the League screwed us (somehow, not quite sure how, but you know theres a conspiracy)

The team is somewhat rebuilding. Its like were fixing a sinking house. The house is in pretty good shape (skill players) but the foundation (the lines) needs to be rebuilt so the House can be more valuable and better

653319[/snapback]

I always thought we were rebuilding, but there was a lot of doubt expressed by many on the site...the world may not be as visionary as us...come on ;)

While I completely agree with you, all of that in one draft is a tall order.  I was hopeful that some of those things could have been addressed in FA.  Unfortunately it didn't work out that way.

653331[/snapback]

That is what I was hoping/thought they would do...I wonder if Pickett had signed here - would they have thrown in the Moulds card and go to a re-build/load mode...

I know there was a lot of debate around the Bills status as being competitive in the NFL.  With the talk on Losman, the departure of Moulds etal, is it safe to call the Bills rebuilding and a legit shot at another top 5 pick next year?

653061[/snapback]

We are definitely rebuilding. This team has maybe 9 starting positions locked up (Peters, Evans, McGahee, Shoebel, Triplett, Spikes, Fletcher, Clements, McGee) plus Moorman/Lindall. Barring injury, there will be a dog fight for 13 or 14 starting positons plus key backup postions that are open (running back, 3rd wideout, short yardage, DT rotation, nickel and dime backs). We have no starting QB and a new coaching staff.

I would call that rebuilding. Expect some surprising cuts as Marv purges the roster. If we win 6 games this year I would be happy. We are 2-3 years away from competing for the playoffs.

653331[/snapback]

It's not as tall an order as you'd think. For example, if we were to have a scenario like this:

Round 1: Vernon Davis (TE)

Round 2: Taitusi Latui (OG)

Round 3a: Jonathan Scott (OT)

Round 3b: Jesse Mahelona (DT)

That would be a nice start. The Bills would have added a receiving option w/ the potential to create huge mismatches due to his incredible size/speed ratio(needed even more w/ the loss of Moulds), a stud guard who I feel has yet to play his best football (should be a much better pro than college player, and he's a pretty solid college player!), a left tackle prospect that is big yet not huge and has a nice wingspan plus can move laterally and ward off speed rushers, and a defensive tackle that while not a massive 2 gapper, may be more of a fit for the defensive scheme we intend to use due to his quickness and pass rushing ability (not my choice; I'd rather see Gabe Watson, but Mahelona is solid).

I would be okay w/ a draft that begins like this, and you still have the day 2 picks to add depth.

It's not as tall an order as you'd think.  For example, if we were to have a scenario like this:

Round 1:  Vernon Davis (TE)

Round 2:  Taitusi Latui (OG)

Round 3a:  Jonathan Scott (OT)

Round 3b:  Jesse Mahelona (DT)

That would be a nice start.  The Bills would have added a receiving option w/ the potential to create huge mismatches due to his incredible size/speed ratio(needed even more w/ the loss of Moulds), a stud guard who I feel has yet to play his best football (should be a much better pro than college player, and he's a pretty solid college player!), a left tackle prospect that is big yet not huge and has a nice wingspan plus can move laterally and ward off speed rushers, and a defensive tackle that while not a massive 2 gapper, may be more of a fit for the defensive scheme we intend to use due to his quickness and pass rushing ability (not my choice; I'd rather see Gabe Watson, but Mahelona is solid). 

I would be okay w/ a draft that begins like this, and you still have the day 2 picks to add depth.

653821[/snapback]

Love the draft. After they moved Moulds, the first thought was - I would absolutely take Vernon Davis now to take the heat off of Evan.s The problem I hear though is that the 49'ers are very interested in him and have spent a lot of time with him...