Operating Income - Where Do The Bills Rank..

Mark VI

I realize some here know, including myself.

Guess or find the link.

Waiting..

652684[/snapback]

Just a wild guess, but...

$36.1M

About 14th place in the league.

Give Ken the birthday boy a keg of Stella Artois !

Wow. That's hardly a figure of a starving owner and a franchise that's in trouble.

I realize the current and future CBA's may draw on that a bit but show me the economic hardship, at present.

That's still a healthy looking profit.

Give Ken the birthday boy a keg of Stella Artois !

Wow. That's hardly a figure of a starving owner and a franchise that's in trouble.

I realize the current and future CBA's may draw on that a bit but show me the economic hardship, at present.

That's still a healthy looking profit.

652704[/snapback]

True. But it is based in large part on the Bills having a lower percentage of debt than most teams.

So - if the Bills need better facilities to compete for free agents and coaches, and it comes out of their pocket, their profitibility disappears. That's the message here: with a low revenue base, you are basically saying that in order to stay profitible you can't invest.

We've heard more than our share of complaints about RW not paying coaches. So what happens if, like the Redskins, you bump the HC compensation up 2 mill, and the OC and DC up 1 million say. That move alone pushes us into the lower half .

That's $20M in cap ago...are you sure TV revenues increased by $20M or will some of that $20M eat into the OI?

652731[/snapback]

I'm sure the staggering signing bonuses RW paid in 2005 have eaten into his OI.

I don't like Jerry Jones, but he does have a point when he says the smaller market teams like Buffalo and Arizona aren't doing all they can to increase revenue. The most obvious example is not selling the naming rights to Ralph Wilson Stadium.

Guest BackInDaDay

From today's Buffalo News about Ralph's visit to Albany.

"Wilson, 87, repeatedly has stated the Bills will be sold after he dies. The attractiveness of a team in Buffalo figures to decline if the revenue gap keeps growing at a fast pace."

As you posted yesterday, Ralph might have been trying to enlist Pataki's help in brokering a deal for the club. I think that's valid. I also think reporter Mark Gaughan's statement is revealing.

Ralph's on a mission to keep the market value of his franchise from falling, and

unless all of the details of the NFL's modified revenue sharing plan have been set in stone, there may be time to make it more 'small market friendly'. Enlisting the help of the 'up and coming' GOP Pataki to influence the current NFL commissioner is wise. Especially considering the next NFL commissioner may be Condeleeza Rice. These people travel in the same circles, so to speak, and we're both old enough to know that it's not what you know, it's who you know.

If the NFL won't curtail 'large market' spending, perhaps it can be convinced of the advantage of instituting additional financial structures to increase it's funding of small market clubs. This could be where VABills' goat comes in. :angry:

Flexing whatever muscle he has left may insure that Ralph's heirs get full market value for the Bills. The fans and the city of Buffalo also benefit. The only reason the franchise will be considered an attractive purchase is because the NFL has resolved it's 'small market' problems, allowing such franchises to thrive.

True.  But it is based in large part on the Bills having a lower percentage of debt than most teams.

So - if the Bills need better facilities to compete for free agents and coaches, and it comes out of their pocket, their profitibility disappears.  That's the message here:  with a low revenue base, you are basically saying that in order to stay profitible you can't invest.

We've heard more than our share of complaints about RW not paying coaches.  So what happens if, like the Redskins, you bump the HC compensation up 2 mill, and the OC and DC up 1 million say.  That move alone pushes us into the lower half .

652756[/snapback]

There are ONLY 32 teams in the league - i'm so tired of hearing people B word about Ralph not paying coaches. WHO GIVES A @#$. Most coaches would DIE for an opportunity to coach in the NFL!!!! We're not talking NHL here folks.

So what, we don't get THE BEST available coach - as long as the BILLS stay in BUFFALO and compete - that's all I ask for. I'm not going to whine about not having Jimmy Johnson, the Big Tuna, or any other has been out there.

Give young blood a chance.

Will the Bills get anything for selling the naming rights to the stadium? They don't own it, I thought Erie County owns it?

The way Buffalo can do more to make money is to bring in more corporate sponsorships, charge more for tickets to a game, and get more luxury boxes (which they probably don't have the fan base to support). Buffalos economy is what determines if the Bills are small market or not and with the economy not booming like other places, they don't have the resources.

Will the Bills get anything for selling the naming rights to the stadium? They don't own it, I thought Erie County owns it?

The way Buffalo can do more to make money is to bring in more corporate sponsorships, charge more for tickets to a game, and get more luxury boxes (which they probably don't have the fan base to support). Buffalos economy is what determines if the Bills are small market or not and with the economy not booming like other places, they don't have the resources.

653007[/snapback]

Again, if the Saints stay in New Orleans - the BILLS will forever remain in BUF.

As much as I love Ralph Wilson - I wish he would make a move to bring in another local co-owner (Golisano, Jacobs, Rich, Wegman). A move like this would be just enough to reassure the on-going insecurity of this fan base. It's just not right.

We've heard more than our share of complaints about RW not paying coaches.  So what happens if, like the Redskins, you bump the HC compensation up 2 mill, and the OC and DC up 1 million say.  That move alone pushes us into the lower half .

652756[/snapback]

I've wondered if that was part of the motivation of guys like Snyder to pay excessive amounts -- not just to coaches, but to free agents. Our jaws all drop and we snicker when we hear how much Snyder is paying to some of these people...typically far more than they are worth. But what it ends up doing is driving up the overall market price, whether its a wide receiver or a defensive coordinator. In the end, he can afford it and the small market teams become just slightly less able to compete. What happens when that occurs year after year for 5 or ten years?

A conspiracy theory for sure, but when I hear about guys like Snyder and Jones meeting and planning their "strategy" at the owners meeting, we know precisely who they are plotting against. Could this be one way of, in the end, getting what they want?

653007[/snapback]

While ErieCounty owns the stadium, I believe the Bills own the naming rights.

Selling naming rights in Buffalo will most likely only get the Bills a small amount of money, hardly franchise saving.

Maybe 1 million in extra revenue if its a good deal.

652969[/snapback]

so the Bills need to be more creative.

Bills could lure a coveted free agent to Buffalo by promiding to put the players name on the stadium for a year in exxchange for a lower signing bonus. :rolleyes:

Not too many teams could compete with that kind of ego enhancer. ;)

So, I am confused...is Dick Jauron a "retread" like I have been reading over and over, or "young blood"?

653114[/snapback]

Marv picked Dick Jauron. Not my first choice but it's a non-issue at this time.

My argument is in response to those folks saying we won't recruit the Name Brand coaches. F that man - there aren't that many jobs in the NFL.