The unmentionables

UHSLA

It looks like our special teams corp is intact for the most part, which is a good thing. Mario Haggan, Josh Stamer, Ryan Denney and Sam Aiken - all returning. Nice. I read a lot about why guys like Coy Wire and Ryan Neufeld and Joe Burns are still on this team. Probably because each one of them is a starter on the most dominant special teams unit in the NFL, and they have been for the past couple of years, and that's why they are still on this team. It just floors me when people are so quick to question their status on this team. Each one of them has shown the ability to be outstanding special teams players while providing decent depth in case of injuries. I wouldn't be so flippant about getting rid of them.

When Marv became our GM, the first thing that came to mind was that our special teams will always be good. He stressed that forever as our coach and was a special team coach himself. It can win or lose you 3 games a year at least. I'm also glad those guys are still here.

When Marv became our GM, the first thing that came to mind was that our special teams will always be good.  He stressed that forever as our coach and was a special team coach himself.  It can win or lose you 3 games a year at least.  I'm also glad those guys are still here.

651963[/snapback]

So which three of the five games we won were won by the STs?

According to NFL.com play-by-play Wire had 3 (three) ST tackles last year and 3 penalties.

Not outstanding.

Coy Wire is not a ST demon.

End the myth.

CW < RJ

According to NFL.com play-by-play Wire had 3 (three) ST tackles last year and 3 penalties. 

Not outstanding.

End the myth.

CW < RJ

651982[/snapback]

but but but but.....he's a fine young man who was a college LB who was switched to safety in the NFL. Maybe he's a late bloomer. :)

So which three of the five games we won were won by the STs?

651966[/snapback]

Well, lessee... Cincinnati (37-27) has already been mentioned. McGee kickoff-return TD, plus three Lindell FGs. Also of note:

-Recovered onside kick by Ryan Denney, although Holcomb gave it away with an INT two plays later.

-Nice day for Parrish, with 15- and 23-yard punt returns.

-McGee-to-Leonhard handoff on the second-half kickoff led to a 43-yard return and a drive start at the Cincy 46. McGee also had two other 30+ yard KO returns (as well as the INT return for the game-clinching TD).

Houston (22-7): Alternately, Rian Lindell 15, Bills regular offense 7, Texans 7. Otherwise, a quiet day on STs.

Miami (20-14): High impact on outcome. 2 Lindell FGs provided the margin of victory. Also of note: the second Buffalo TD drive was aided by a fumbled Miami punt snap (recovered by Sam Aiken), which gave the Bills the ball at the Fish 45-yard line. Good day for Moorman, as well; he averaged over 50 yards/punt, including 60- and 63-yarders to keep Miami pinned deep while the Bills offense was spinning its wheels.

Jets (H, 27-17): Debatable impact. Good day for McGee -- two 40+ yard KO returns, including one just before halftime that set up a 50-yard Lindell FG. One could argue that special-teams players were responsible for the Bills' first TD - an 8-yard catch/run by Jonathan Smith, aided by a Sam Aiken block - but that's pushing it, in my scorebook...

KC (14-3): Debatable impact. Good day for Moorman, averaging 48.2 yds/punt. Game shouldn't have been as close as it was, though - Lindell missed both his FG attempts. Best achievement might have been keeping Dante Hall out of the end zone -- his longest return was for 24 yards, and ended with Ryan Neufeld forcing a fumble on the tackle.

Kansas City's second-half drive starts:

KC 9 (punt downed by Wire)

KC 28 (punt to 4, 24-yard return, tackle/forced fumble by Neufeld, recovered by KC)

KC 18 (punt to 16; 2-yard return, tackle by King)

KC 10 (punt to 14; -4-yard return, tackle by Aiken)

KC 21 (missed FG)

KC 41 (McGahee fumble)

But really the only stats that should count are kick offs returned for TD's and tackles.  Other than that, there is nothing ST do.

652538[/snapback]

Not true. A good punter can dictate field position, of course after that it's up to your defense, but the odds of an offense scoring saying when they're buried inside their 20 are a lot lower then when they're past the 20. Field goals put points on the board as well. The pats won 3 superbowls by 3 fg's. The 90 Bills lost by a missed fg. St's are exremely important.

But really the only stats that should count are kick offs returned for TD's and tackles.  Other than that, there is nothing ST do.

652538[/snapback]

I hope you are raising your hand to indicate sarcasm. If not, people may wonder what you know wbout football, but if you made this statement seriously you have removed any doubt.

Not outstanding.

End the myth.

There is so much more to ST than tackles. Obviously on kick off return and punt return, blocking is key. Wire is obviously doing something right or he wouldn't be out there.