Cover 2 smoke screen and the myth of Haloti Ngata

Ok, I'm not a football coach or a GM so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt.

Why I beleive Haloti Ngata should not be ruled out by the Bills even though we are going to be going to a cover 2 D:

1. Haloti Ngata is rated by many to be the best DT in the draft. He would plug a hole on the Bills wish list with his huge 325lb frame. (Running up the gut just got a lot harder with him on our team)

2. In a perfect Cover 2 The Qb get preasure on the from the D line... SO conventional wisdom means that we sould overlook Haloti Ngata because he is not quick enough to sack a QB... This is the myth!!! There is no such thing a perfect cover 2 D. Most teams run a hybrid of the cover 2 and get pressure from a blitzing linebacker example New England.

3. Haloti Ngata can do what no other DL can do in this year's draft. And that is be responsible for cloggin up the middle of the line so our undersized middle linebacker can make tackles at the line of scrimage instead of 4- 8 yards down field.

TD always said that you can't believe ANYTHING that is leaked about a teams needs or wants before the draft... Marv has been in more than his share of War rooms and he smart enough to create the necessary smoke to hide what he wants to do, which is draft the best lineman availible at number 8 be it Haloti Ngata or Winston Justice we will have to see.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I'm not a football coach or a GM so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt. 

Why I beleive Haloti Ngata should not be ruled out by the Bills even though we are going to be going to a cover 2 D: 

1. Haloti Ngata is rated by many to be the best DT in the draft.  He would plug a hole on the Bills wish list with his huge 325lb frame.  (Running up the gut just got a lot harder with him on our team)

2. In a perfect Cover 2 The Qb get preasure on the from the D line... SO conventional wisdom means that we sould overlook Haloti Ngata because he is not quick enough to sack a QB... This is the myth!!! There is no such thing a perfect cover 2 D.  Most teams run a hybrid of the cover 2 and get pressure from a blitzing linebacker example New England.

3. Haloti Ngata can do what no other DL can do in this year's draft. And that is be responsible for cloggin up the middle of the line so our undersized middle linebacker can make tackles at the line of scrimage instead of 4- 8 yards down field.

TD always said that you can't believe ANYTHING that is leaked about a teams needs or wants before the draft... Marv has been in more than his share of War rooms and he smart enough to create the necessary smoke to hide what he wants to do, which is draft the best lineman availible at number 8  be it Haloti Ngata or  Winston Justice we will have to see.

651779[/snapback]

Agree totally. Ngata could be an impact player and the force in the middle that you build your scheme around. In round 1 especially, I'll take players who get their rep on the field playing the game before any of the workout warriors.

I can wait until round 2 to draft an OT and there should be some quality available at that point.

Marv or anyone associated with the Bills has NEVER said that Ngata won't fit the Cover 2. It's all BS overanalysis from the fans. His true concerns continue to be his weight, his motor, and his rebuilt knee. I personally don't want to draft Ngata at #8 because I don't like forking over millions to a guy with weight/motor question marks--can you really trust him to not get fat and play hard every play and develop himself into a great player through intense film study and practice and working overtime once he's a set-for-life millionaire ?

Marv or anyone associated with the Bills has NEVER said that Ngata won't fit the Cover 2.  It's all BS overanalysis from the fans.  His true concerns continue to be his weight, his motor, and his rebuilt knee.  I personally don't want to draft Ngata at #8 because I don't like forking over millions to a guy with weight/motor question marks--can you really trust him to not get fat and play hard every play and develop himself into a great player through intense film study and practice and working overtime once he's a set-for-life millionaire ?

651811[/snapback]

That's pretty much a concern with anyone you pick. He will or he won't. But we certainly know he CAN be a major force in an area where we are weak (not just weak..dam near non-existant.) I think we take whatever chance we take with him. Remember the defensive end with a weight and attitude problem we worried about wasting our number one on...Bruce Smith?

That's pretty much a concern with anyone you pick.  He will or he won't.  But we certainly know he CAN be a major force in an area where we are weak (not just weak..dam near non-existant.) I think we take whatever chance we take with him.  Remember the defensive end with a weight and attitude problem we worried about wasting our number one on...Bruce Smith?

651816[/snapback]

Not really. It's not a concern with everyone. There are plenty of guys who keep themselves in tip-top shape, play hard every play, and have healthy knees.

That's pretty much a concern with anyone you pick.  He will or he won't.  But we certainly know he CAN be a major force in an area where we are weak (not just weak..dam near non-existant.) I think we take whatever chance we take with him.  Remember the defensive end with a weight and attitude problem we worried about wasting our number one on...Bruce Smith?

651816[/snapback]

How do we know this? The same way New Orleans knew that about Jonathan Sullivan? Then again, he went higher in the draft than Ngata would if we take him eighth overall.

Sullivan went 6th.

Thing is, the last couple of dominant run stuffers we had were a free agent acquisition who had injury concerns and an undrafted free agent. Neither were a high profile pick commanding big bonus money, yet both did their jobs fairly well. I like Ngata, but I also like a few others that I believe can do the same function (tie up blockers and free up Triplett do do more) w/out commanding top dollar. I'd rather see us get one of those guys and use our highest pick to address the pass rush, the OL, or the secondary, all areas that could badly use the upgrade.

1. Haloti Ngata is rated by many to be the best DT in the draft.  He would plug a hole on the Bills wish list with his huge 325lb frame.  (Running up the gut just got a lot harder with him on our team)

2. In a perfect Cover 2 The Qb get preasure on the from the D line... SO conventional wisdom means that we sould overlook Haloti Ngata because he is not quick enough to sack a QB... This is the myth!!! There is no such thing a perfect cover 2 D.  Most teams run a hybrid of the cover 2 and get pressure from a blitzing linebacker example New England.

TD always said that you can't believe ANYTHING that is leaked about a teams needs or wants before the draft... Marv has been in more than his share of War rooms and he smart enough to create the necessary smoke to hide what he wants to do, which is draft the best lineman availible at number 8  be it Haloti Ngata or  Winston Justice we will have to see.

651779[/snapback]

I would have no problems drafting Ngata, Hawk or Mario (doubt last 2 will be there). I just do not want to draft Huff or Young if he falls.

I'm still in the trade down mode, but if we stayed at 8 I would love to take Ngata.

The defense will have to keep us in games this year. Heck, look what it did for Chicago.

I would have no problems drafting Ngata, Hawk or Mario (doubt last 2 will be there).  I just do not want to draft Huff or Young if he falls. 

I'm still in the trade down mode, but if we stayed at 8 I would love to take Ngata. 

The defense will have to keep us in games this year.  Heck, look what it did for Chicago.

651958[/snapback]

The moving up of Winston Justice by some of the "experts" because of a workout is just typical pre-draft hype. His vertical leap is highlighted which, I admit, does show his athleticim but what good is that stat for an OT?? So, maybe after a TD he can spike the ball over the goal post??!!

Rate him on what he did as a player in games on the field!! If he was considered the 12th or so best player before this workout, that's wher ehe shoulsd stay.

Remember, pre-draft info is what forced Hall of Fame QB Dan Marino to drop to the last pick of the 1st round.

Thing is, the last couple of dominant run stuffers we had were a free agent acquisition who had injury concerns and an undrafted free agent.  Neither were a high profile pick commanding big bonus money, yet both did their jobs fairly well.  I like Ngata, but I also like a few others that I believe can do the same function (tie up blockers and free up Triplett do do more) w/out commanding top dollar.  I'd rather see us get one of those guys and use our highest pick to address the pass rush, the OL, or the secondary, all areas that could badly use the upgrade.

651922[/snapback]

What I would like to see is the bills address their run stuffing needs with a free agent (the DT cut from the saints is STILL out there) now that we are going to have even more salary cap room.

To me....I think we are going to need to replace Moulds playmaking ability on the field......the top TE is who I would take at 8 because he is worthy of that pick....

We NEED a playmaker on offense.

The moving up of Winston Justice by some of the "experts" because of a workout is just typical pre-draft hype.  His vertical leap is highlighted which, I admit, does show his athleticim but what good is that stat for an OT??  So, maybe after a TD he can spike the ball over the goal post??!!

Rate him on what he did as a player in games on the field!!  If he was considered the 12th or so best player before this workout, that's wher ehe shoulsd stay.

Remember, pre-draft info is what forced Hall of Fame QB Dan Marino to drop to the last pick of the 1st round.

652092[/snapback]

Yea, maybe Justice will use his leaping ability to knock down some passes while he's playing OT. :rolleyes:

I'm no expert, but we really need to shore up the run stuffing D if we are going to win any games this year. Ngata or Bunkley would help that cause. Like I said before, I also really like Hawk and Mario, but they will be gone.

DL first. Doesn't matter how good of DBs you have if your front 7 is pourous and cannot pressure the QB.

I just do not want to draft Huff or Young if he falls. 

yes, please keep the next ed reed out of buffalo, we dont need em'. we are fine with coy wire............. :rolleyes:;):P

The defense will have to keep us in games this year.  Heck, look what it did for Chicago.

yeah look what those huge run stuffers did in chicago :doh:

yes, please keep the next ed reed out of buffalo, we dont need em'. we are fine with coy wire.............  :rolleyes:  ;)  :P 

yeah look what those huge run stuffers did in chicago  :doh:

653143[/snapback]

You see the next Ed Reed. I see a player that is marginally better than the next 5 Safeties in this draft. Draft one of those instead.

I'm not sure what you are getting at about Chicago, but they did have the #2 total defense in the league and held offenses to 281 ypg, while buffalo had the #29th total defense and gave up 343 ypg.

Chicago gave up 100ypg on the ground, while Buffalo gave up 138ypg on the ground. #11 vs. #31.

Hmmm. :doh:

First off, the one thing you guys are forgetting is that Ngata is not an every down player. At Oregon he rotated out very often and i am not sure if he has the stamina to play at the NFL level.

Second off, Just because someone has the size does not mean that they can stuff the middle. If you want a run stuffer and a guy who can smell the ball in the running backs hands, and actually does something about it, you want Broderick Bunkley. THE GUY BROKE THE RECORD A FLORIDA STATE IN TACKLES FOR LOSS. We could trade down, get more picks, and still draft to fill the hole that is on our wish list.

Third off, has anybody read Marv's book? He finds that the safety position is one of the most vital on the field and would be dying to draft another Henry Jones. Michael Huff will more than likely be our pick.

Wish list for 1st round

1.Williams (Not going to be there)

2.Bunkley (See about trading down first)

3.Huff (Also see about trading down if possible)

4.Davis

5.Winston Justice (Once again, trade down. GET MORE PICKS)