Why Draft a DT at #8 and Pay Him Franchise $$

Mark VI

Ngata or Bunkley wouldn't play every D snap. Not in this D. A 3 or 4 man rotation has been mentioned by the Bills in this Cover 2.

So you'd pay a guy top 10 money to stand on the sidelines for 30-40 % of the Defensive snaps ? :lol:

Ngata or Bunkley wouldn't play every D snap. Not in this D. A 3 or 4 man rotation has been mentioned by the Bills in this Cover 2.

So you'd pay a guy top 10 money to stand on the sidelines for 30-40 % of the Defensive snaps ?    :lol:

650213[/snapback]

I like your thought process and never thought about the pick from this angle.

If the Bills really want to draft a DT, then try to trade down or get a DT in the 2nd round.

So you'd pay a guy top 10 money to stand on the sidelines for 30-40 % of the Defensive snaps ?    :lol:

650213[/snapback]

Interesting and good point. I know i've been pimping bunkley, but i woudnt be upset if this was the tactic marv took. Grab a guy in R2 or R3, and take davis or huff at #8 overall.

I agree, this draft is almost obnoxiously deep in DT talent, I really dont think there should be a rush for the Bills to freak out and draft one in the first round. Especially since our pick in the 2nd is pretty early.

I'm still on the Huff bandwagon, he's above and beyond any of the other Safeties in this Draft. He'll probably be the best available player at #8 as well, so it fills a need and gives us an excellent talent.

650213[/snapback]

Good call, never dawned on me with that view point.

I'm still on the Huff bandwagon, he's above and beyond any of the other Safeties in this Draft.  He'll probably be the best available player at #8 as well, so it fills a need and gives us an excellent talent.

650278[/snapback]

Same here.

650213[/snapback]

I hear what you're saying, but I would not at all be upset if we take one of those 2 at #8. That pick may not play every snap, but on 3rd-and-1, I want someone in there who's a lot better than Tim Anderson.

I also do not see a significant drop-off from Ngata, hailed to be the #1 DT and, say the #4 or #5 DT that should be available in the 2nd round. There is, however, significant dropoff from Huff to the next best S and Davis to the next best TE. That's why I'd rather draft one of these two if we don't trade down to get better value at DT/OL.

I also do not see a significant drop-off from Ngata, hailed to be the #1 DT and, say the #4 or #5 DT that should be available in the 2nd round. There is, however, significant dropoff from Huff to the next best S and Davis to the next best TE. That's why I'd rather draft one of these two if we don't trade down to get better value at DT/OL.

650308[/snapback]

The beautiful thing is that there's so many different ways the Bills can go with that #8 pick... I love where we're sitting! :lol:

Guest BackInDaDay
Bottom line, we need 2 DTs that, combined, will keep opposing O-linemen from taking out our MLB.  Also consider that out current tandem of Schobel/Kelsay doesn't compare well to TB's Rice/Spires or Chi's Brown/Ogunleye.  Concessions may have to be made to remain strong against the run.  Ngata might be that concession, but I rather not have to tie up our 1st round pick on guy who could be a 2-down NFL DT. Our big LBs are our available answer to that problem, but I don't think they're up to the task of chasing guys downfield all day.

643607[/snapback]

Some of you guys should take me off your ignore lists.

To paraphrase Donahoe's parting remarks... I'm not as full of sh-- as some might think. :lol:

I hear what you're saying, but I would not at all be upset if we take one of those 2 at #8. That pick may not play every snap, but on 3rd-and-1, I want someone in there who's a lot better than Tim Anderson.

650298[/snapback]

No question...I imagine either Ngata or Bunkley would easily get enough Snaps to justify that 1st Round Pick...Especially on this Roster...

I still think the Bills should be able to Trade Down a spot or two and land one of the two Top DT's if that is the preference...The question Marv and Jauron have to be asking themselves is whoever may be there at #8, are they going to be THAT much better than who is available at 9-15? I think if it's AJ Hawk, then no question there is a Talent differential. But if your looking at the group of Ngata, Bunkley, Michael Huff, Vernon Davis, Winston Justice, and even Tamba Hali...Is any one of them THAT much better than the other? They all have great potential, and a few question marks.

I think the best case scenerio for the Bills would be to have Jay Cutler available at #8, then sit back and field the offers to move down just a bit. I think in doing so they could stockpile some Picks, and still get a Player who will contribute immediately from the list above.

Just my take on it... :lol:

The beautiful thing is that there's so many different ways the Bills can go with that #8 pick... I love where we're sitting! :lol:

650309[/snapback]

Yes and no.

Our want list may read Mario Williams, Ferguson, Hawk, Huff, maybe Davis. What if they're all gone after the top 7 picks ? Could happen if teams ahead of us lose interest in Cutler/Young or some unknown doesn't get picked above the projected top 10. I can't see DT as a value pick in Round 1.

Pray the phone rings for an opportunity to trade down or that pick suddenly becomes a leap of faith towards someone who may have been ranked lower than the #8 slot.

650308[/snapback]

There are several very good TEs which are not far behind Davis from a production standpoint.

Pope is actually a better blocker and would be the better value pick if he drops to the 2nd round.

650213[/snapback]

Good point, but the 3 or 4 down lineman all have to be very good. Warren Sapp made this defense work in Tampa. Not that he did it alone but he was the dominant piece of the puzzle. An anchor on the DL, even if he playes 70% of the snaps is critical.

This is a very good point. Another aspect of Ngata is that there are very few scouting reports on him that don't mention that he tends to take plays off and obviously he carries more than ideal weight (although he is very strong as well). Even his own defensive coach at Oregon has made comments to the effect that IF he turns it on, IF he doesn't get fat, then he can be great. Well, you know what? For a player with those kinds of question marks, you do not fork over a multi-million dollar contract.

Think about all the Bills fans you know who are somewhat lazy and overweight (and there should be many). Would you trust any of them to continue to work hard if they win the lottery?

To put it another way, name me ONE past player that fits Ngata's talents and body type that ended up dominating for the team that drafted him. Ted Washington was drafted by SF but dominated for Buffalo. Grady Jackson did most of his domination after he left Oakland and joined the Packers. Who else? Not Dan Wilkinson.

Don't forget Ngata hasn't always been healthy as well. It's just not worth the risk.

Ngata is the best Defensive Tackle available. Our biggest hole is defensive tackle. In fact, if we don't fill that hole, either through free agency (and so far we haven't) or through the draft we will have a top five choice in next year's draft. He can play NOW in whichever defense the powers that be are pushing (hell he could plug the middle in a 3-4 if we ever deemed it important to go that way). Talent at the position will go down in the second (two or three DT's taken) the third (five or six taken) or the fourth (bottom of the barrel.) I like Huff, I like Davis...hell...I even like Young. However I think we should go with the best player in the draft at the position we need most. Ngata.