Kiper on tonight's Sportcenter..first round mock

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

UGH! I saw this too! I would be kinda disappointed if the Bills went with a guys like Bunkley, Ngata, or Justice @ #8. I think the only guy that has the type of talent for #8 is Michael Huff. Now if the Bills were to trade to #15 and draft Bunkley, I'd be ecstatic!

I don't know, I'm starting to like this pick more than Ngata...I place a lot more value on what a player does on the field, but Bunkley's combine was pretty damn impressive (44 lifts of 225lbs is a ton). I haven't watch him play that much but he did have a lot of tackles for a loss last year and seemed to put up really good numbers for a penetrating DT. I don't think we'll really be able to trade down anymore and draft Bunkley, his stock has been rising as of late. Huff would be sweet at this pick also. Anybody get to watch a lot of Bunkley last year (Ramius)?

Scheme ? What is this word "scheme" ? To get two undersized DT'S knocked on their ass so our undersized middle linebacker can make 250 tackles ... 8 yards past the line of scrimmage !!

649037[/snapback]

Dude I LMAO when I read this. Bravo!

Scheme ? What is this word "scheme" ? To get two undersized DT'S knocked on their ass so our undersized middle linebacker can make 250 tackles ... 8 yards past the line of scrimmage !!

649037[/snapback]

There is more than one formula or approach for a successful defense.

Also, Fletch originally came into his own playing in a scheme behind a 270 lb and a 280 lb DT.

I don't know, I'm starting to like this pick more than Ngata...I place a lot more value on what a player does on the field, but Bunkley's combine was pretty damn impressive (44 lifts of 225lbs is a ton).  I haven't watch him play that much but he did have a lot of tackles for a loss last year and seemed to put up really good numbers for a penetrating DT.  I don't think we'll really be able to trade down anymore and draft Bunkley, his stock has been rising as of late.  Huff would be sweet at this pick also.  Anybody get to watch a lot of Bunkley last year (Ramius)?

649041[/snapback]

Well, i'll try not to sound like too much of a homer, but here goes.

Bunkley is an absolute beast. 23 tackles for a loss this season, along with 9 sacks. The guy is fast as hell, and always around the ball. He's got a knack for getting upfield in a hurry. What i noticed about bunkley is that he was one of the "quiet" team leaders. He didnt always put up the gaudy numbers, but lots of times, his unhearalded plays in the backfield forced bad passes and the like, which allowed our other defenders to make the big plays (INT's, etc) He was a major disruption in the other team's backfield.

This about this. Bunkley average over 2 tackles for a loss every game. thats roughly the equivalent of 2 sacks per game. thats potentially 2 series per game that he killed. He was also the captain of the defense here.

Another word about his number for the stat nuts here. Bunkley had a great season, and he did some major damage while our top DE, kamerion wimbley, was hurt for a few games.

The Tampa native has recorded 35 tackles (20 solo), 5.5 sacks, 14.5 tackles for loss, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery and 7 QB hurries during that five-game stretch. He has compiled those numbers for the most part without the presence of FSU's top pass rusher in defensive end Kamerion Wimbley, who has missed the last three and a half games with a knee injury.

Also, for those detractors that call him another erik flowers, remember this. flowers was 2nd round talent that shot up the board into the first round. Bunkley was alreayd 1st round talent. Bunkley was rated #19 overall by kiper at seasons end. He's mid first round talent that has improved his stock to upper first round talent with an awesome combine and pro day.

I like Bunkley over Ngata for a big reason. It has been reported on many scouting reports that Ngata is great "when he is motivated". I dont want to see an unmotivated DT on the bills. If we needed that, we could have kept Sam Adams.

I wish i could weigh in more on some of Bunkley's negatives, but as a fan, i was watching the games and not looking for what he did wrong. Bunkley is not huge, only about 284, but i dont think beefing up about 10 more pounds to about 300 would be a problem.

He'd fit in perfectly as a cover 2 DT that is fast and cover a lot of ground. So maybe he cant plug up the entire o-line, but he can get to the ball carrier quickly. Frankly, i like the idea of a swarming defense a lot better than a larger slower defense.

As for me, provided Ferguson, Williams and Hawk are gone, i'd love to see the bills select Bunkley, Huff, or Davis at #8/

If anyone has some more specific questions, fire away.

Everything i read on Ngata is that he is a beast that can move. Can someone please explain to me how this guy doesnt fit our scheme. No knock on bunkley but the knee operations scare me. I think drafting him at 8 with prior knee injuries is too big of a reach when a dominant force who could reak havoc on our DL for the next decade is sitting right there. I want Ngata. Address the line with our 2nd and one of our third round picks. The one guy i hope marv is lookin at later in the draft is Kevin Booth our of Cornell. The kid can play.

649066[/snapback]

How does his leverage look when he is tied up with a blocker. How is his hand fighting ability?

Sorry, 2 questions :D

Well, i'll try not to sound like too much of a homer, but here goes.

Bunkley is an absolute beast. 23 tackles for a loss this season, along with 9 sacks. The guy is fast as hell, and always around the ball. He's got a knack for getting upfield in a hurry. What i noticed about bunkley is that he was one of the "quiet" team leaders. He didnt always put up the gaudy numbers, but lots of times, his unhearalded plays in the backfield forced bad passes and the like, which allowed our other defenders to make the big plays (INT's, etc) He was a major disruption in the other team's backfield.

This about this. Bunkley average over 2 tackles for a loss every game. thats roughly the equivalent of 2 sacks per game. thats potentially 2 series per game that he killed. He was also the captain of the defense here.

Another word about his number for the stat nuts here. Bunkley had a great season, and he did some major damage while our top DE, kamerion wimbley, was hurt for a few games.

Also, for those detractors that call him another erik flowers, remember this. flowers was 2nd round talent that shot up the board into the first round. Bunkley was alreayd 1st round talent. Bunkley was rated #19 overall by kiper at seasons end. He's mid first round talent that has improved his stock to upper first round talent with an awesome combine and pro day.

I like Bunkley over Ngata for a big reason. It has been reported on many scouting reports that Ngata is great "when he is motivated". I dont want to see an unmotivated DT on the bills. If we needed that, we could have kept Sam Adams.

I wish i could weigh in more on some of Bunkley's negatives, but as a fan, i was watching the games and not looking for what he did wrong. Bunkley is not huge, only about 284, but i dont think beefing up about 10 more pounds to about 300 would be a problem.

He'd fit in perfectly as a cover 2 DT that is fast and cover a lot of ground. So maybe he cant plug up the entire o-line, but he can get to the ball carrier quickly. Frankly, i like the idea of a swarming defense a lot better than a larger slower defense.

As for me, provided Ferguson, Williams and Hawk are gone, i'd love to see the bills select Bunkley, Huff, or Davis at #8/

649066[/snapback]

Great post. Thanks for the info. I would love to move down 3-5 spots and pick up another pick and take Bunkley. At 8 though i still have to take Ngata.

Do you really honestly think that us getting a guy like Ngata is a mistake?

I don't, regardless of whether we are in a 3-4 or 4-3

A quality football player is a quality footbal player and I believe Ngata is a quality football player.

While I would rather address the O line first, I'm afraid of taking a chance on a big guy who is touted as a big guy who can move but will end up being a bust three or four years down the road. Again. I for one was really happy when we drafted Williams. I thought he was going to be a force. And he was, just not on the field :D

So I am in for Ngata 1st. I won't complain about Huff but if I see Justice before Davis, well I guess I'm complaining as usual then.

I also believe that more rookie d linemen make an immediate impact. O linemen not as frequently and we need all the help we can get, as fast as we can get it!

Bunkley is not huge, only about 284, but i dont think beefing up about 10 more pounds to about 300 would be a problem.

649066[/snapback]

BTW, Bunkley has bulked up to 300 lbs as of his pro day.

How does his leverage look when he is tied up with a blocker. How is his hand fighting ability?

Sorry, 2 questions  :D

649070[/snapback]

Sorry, can answer much on those technicalities. Watching the game, all we get in the TV angle or the student section view. (and if you've seen the FSU cowgirls, you'd undrestand how tough it is to actually pay attention to the game when at the stadium)

Therefore, i usually watch the entire play versus 1 player and his specific assignment.

I still think they might take Ngata. "He doesn't fit into our scheme," might just be a smoke sceen. Sending out false information was the MO during the Polian/Butler days, Marv might be doing the same thing.

Remember a smallish RB (I can't recall his name), he lasted 3-4 years in the league. I think the Bills were drafting 21st and someone asked John Butler about him. Butler said if a RB of that man's talent fell to 21st there was no way the Bills would pass him up. He fell to the 21st pick and Butler passed on him. (I think he got drafted by Arz in the 2nd round?)

If AJ Hawk falls to 8th, I'd like to see the Bills draft him. I think he's going to be a great player. If he's not there, then the best D lineman.