• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

ESPN article confirming talks are heating up:

From ESPN

646856[/snapback]

Damn, you had me all excited, and then I saw the by-line: John Clayton. Translation: this will drag out through August and the Bills will eventually have to release him....I mean Clayton has had a Soprano-esque track record so far when it comes to the Moulds deal... :blink:

Damn, you had me all excited, and then I saw the by-line: John Clayton.  Translation: this will drag out through August and the Bills will eventually have to release him....I mean Clayton has had a Soprano-esque track record so far when it comes to the Moulds deal...  :blink:

646868[/snapback]

True, I missed that. Maybe Clayton got a radio.

In good news, this means Moulds will be staying with us this year :P

He just wants out. I don't blame him. He was probably torn between his old stance of I want to be one of those guys that plays their whole career on one team, and worried that ten years from now he will look back and say I should have gone somewhere else my last few years to see how the other side lives. He probably doesn't see an immediate success story in the Bills future, or in his two or so good years left. He knows he's burned some bridges with a lot of the fan base. It's probably just time for a change. And it's probably not about the money or the chance at a ring. He's very likely going to make less for his new team than we offered him.

It's probably the right decision for him and I wish him luck. And I have criticized him as much as anyone lately.

As long as its a 4th rounder or better, trade him away.

You should hear Texans fans, they think they can get him for a 6th rounder.

646862[/snapback]

6th round is better than nothing. Let's face it, everyone else has the upper hand. EM has a crappy contract for us this year. He doesn't want to restructure. He has a $1Million bonus due in July. The longer he sits here, the worse we need to get rid of him. They all know it. The only thing the Bills could possibly do is what the Eagles did with TO, and suspend him without pay for up to 4 weeks.

But unfortunately, that's all that's left. (Me thinks) :blink:

6th round is better than nothing.  Let's face it, everyone else has the upper hand.  EM has a crappy contract for us this year.  He doesn't want to restructure.  He has a $1Million bonus due in July.  The longer he sits here, the worse we need to get rid of him.  They all know it.  The only thing the Bills could possibly do is what the Eagles did with TO, and suspend him without pay for up to 4 weeks. 

But unfortunately, that's all that's left.  (Me thinks) :blink:

646943[/snapback]

Not true at all.

We do NOT have to get rid of Eric. If he refuses to play, he only hurts himself for the future. It simply is not in his best interests to follow up on any threat not to play if he doesn't get traded. And, we don't have to get rid of him for cap reasons either. While it is a benefit if he does go, it is not a necessity. This threat of never playing for the Bills again is nothing more than agent posturing. Any attempt to actually use that threat will be extremely detrimental to Eric and is simpy not a real option. Moreover, do you think Moulds wants to wait until July to get cut? After which at least one if not more of these teams now interested have lost interest and have gone elsewhere or made other plans?

Furthermore, if you have more than one team seriously interested in landing his services, THEY do NOT hold all of the cards either! Why would a team that really wants him not give up a good pick to be sure that none of the other interested teams get him first? If we were to cut Eric, he can only play for one of those teams. Then it becomes a bidding war or it permits other factors besides money to enter in. By trading a pick, one of those teams ensures that they get him. How is that a situation in which THEY hold all of the cards?

Of course, there is going to be a limit in terms of what these teams are willing to give up to get Eric, but they are indeed in competition with one another, which forces them to play their hand. How do you think we squeezed a draft pick for Henry, another guy who said he would not play for the Bills again? Because more than one team wanted him, that's why!

The bottom line here is that while the Bills will not get a top pick, they will be reasonably compensated. While it would be best for all concerned to dump his complaining ass at this point, it is not an absolute must for the Bills. In fact, it is the Bills that have the most leverage here in this poker game. All they need is the patience to play out the hand. Say what you will about Donahoe, but he was a heckuva player in these matters. Let's hope Marv is equally up to it.

Houston owns the first two picks in the 3rd round - their own (#65 overall) and New Orleans (#66 overall). If Marv could somehow manage to wrestle away one of those picks from the Texans, that would be outstanding! That would give us 5 picks on Day 1 in a very deep draft. Then we will be able to say hello to two new o-lineman, two new d-lineman, and one new defensive back after all is said and done on Saturday, April 29!