Donald Fagen Concert report...

The Dean

I won't try to compete with the brilliance of Rico's reports on earlier shows in this tour...consider this an update:

The venue was the Oakland Paramount Theater. This is a beautiful place with a great history...the sound is NOT it's best feature, however. I attended the concert with the fabulous Caresse (who The Senator refers to as, "The Pulchritudinous One"). Needless to say we had a perfect little concert-ready buzz on. We sat near-center in the lower part of the balcony.

First observation is the tour has taken it's toll on Donald's voice. The reports from earlier concerts wer of a strong-voiced Fagen. While he was a trooper, and sang his heart out, his voice was clearly fading and straining. Second observtion is DF was in a great mood, seemingly. Joked and ad-libbed like I've never heard him do before. Final global thought: While the band is essentially players from previous Steely Dan concerts (and albums), and about half the songs were SD tunes...this was nothing like a SD concert. The vibe and sound were totally different.

Here at the Western World (I wasn't crazy about the new arrangement...and I normally like the re-arranged live versions. There were the typical 1st song sound issues, too. Not bad...but, thankfully it got MUCH better)

Green Flower Street Nice, professional...still some sound issues. A great song that was well executed.

The Nightfly WOW...in the second half of this song the band went into "space jazz" mode. i've never seen (or expected) this from SD or Fagen in the past. Donald did some nice spacy keyboard stuff while the rest of the band jammed airy jazz.

New Frontier Again, great song, well done. God damn, DF knows how to use his backup singers.

Maxine The fourth straight song from the Nightfly album! This is what REALLY turned the concert up full for me. i love this song and they did an absolutely beautiful version. Carolyn did the bull work on vocals and she was awesome.

Home at Last The sound issues are long a thing of the past. This is where drummer Keith Carlock really mesmerizes with incerdible symbol work. A thing of sonic beauty.

Black Cow No surprises...but great, nonetheless.

The Goodbye Look Another Nightfly song...excellent. Great change of tempo and a lot of energy

Third World Man This is a dramatic tune and it worked perfectly in concert. Donald's voice starts to get stronger during this song and it pretty much got better for the rest of the show.

Countermoon The lone song from the Kamikiriad album and a nice choice. It's amazing how different the last four songs are stylistically. The amazing range of DF's writing and the bands musical abilities is really apparant...and then, it's taken to an even higher level with the next tune.

Misery & The Blues This is the song written by Charlie Lavere for the old jazz trombonist Jack Teagarden. This MAY have been the highlight of the night (although I may say that a few times...so don't hold me to it). The solos on this were hard jazz...far harder than SD ever gets in concert. Stunning really. Drummer KC was outrageous in this song and Fagen was VERY animated...doing his Ray Charles schtick (but, w/o sunglasses).

Bright Nightgown Surprisingly, the only song from DF's new album, Morph the Cat. I thought DF may do more funk, seeing as the location has been home to some of the great soul and funk bands of all time. The funkyness of this song made up for ther being only one funk song. This was terrific.

Black Friday Probably a better version than I've seen SD do. Another classic SD song done as well as it can be done.

(Encore)

Pretzel Logic Always a treat live. Keyboardist Young does a nice job...the girls wail...terrific solos...what more can you ask for. Another song where Fagen is animated and sounds great.

Viva Rock n Roll This is a fun, obscure Chuck Berry tune. I'm sure CB's band never played it like this. Incredibly, DF's voice sounds its best on the final few songs of the concert. He belted this one...that's for sure.

The guy next to me grumbled about them not playing H-Gang (the single off the new album). And I heard another guy say the same thing on the way out. But, DF doesn't care about "singles". I'm sure that was the record company's choice, anyway.

All in all a first-rate, first-class concert. About 100 minutes of, mostly, non-stop music.

Get ready for a Steely Dan tour this summer. Rumor has it they will tour with Michael McDonald...but, I'll probably go see it anyway.

Only difference between this show and the one on Monday in L.A. was instead of Countermoon, we got Mary Shut the Garden Door. I thought it was a great show, couldnt be happier. Hope some kind of live release comes out of this tour.

• 3 weeks later...

Figured I dust off this old war-horse to share a David Gilmour concert blurb (we used DG's thread to discuss Fagen, so what the hell). This was from a guy I know:

It was an other worldy experience. I cannot stress enough how incredibly loud but pristine the sound was. That alone blew me away. But here's a dude in his 60s playing the loudest, more searing, most soaring guitar solos in the history of music. The new album is really good, though slow in spots and the first set was the new album in its entirety. But the second set was such an awesome mix of the obscure and classic Floyd and Echoes took me to another planet and I have net yet returned. Add to the mix Graham Nash and David Crosby singing SHINE ON among other things and you've got a recipie for legend! (And Phil Manzanera, Jon Carin and Guy Pratt are all in all pretty fair!)

SET ONE:

Breathe/Time/Breathe (reprise)

Castellorizon

On An Island

The Blue

Red Sky at Night

This Heaven

Then I Close My Eyes

Smile

Take a Breath

A Pocketful of Stones

Where We Start