Work Problem...

IBTG81

To make a long story short, I am a social worker (I think half the people in this field have major issues of their own). ANYWAY...

One of the girls that I work with is slacking; she is afraid of our clients, and she gossips about everybody behind their backs. About a month ago, I even overheard her gossipping about my boss and me, while I was in the next room!

There are six employees in are area, and it is split 3-3. My boss is on my side. The other side is trying to set us up (medication errors, missing paperwork, that kind of stuff).

My question is, what would you do to get this to stop? We tried going to administration, but they said they didn't want to do with it, we should handle in internally.

To make a long story short, I am a social worker (I think half the people in this field have major issues of their own). ANYWAY...

One of the girls that I work with is slacking; she is afraid of our clients, and she gossips about everybody behind their backs. About a month ago, I even overheard her gossipping about my boss and me, while I was in the next room!

There are six employees in are area, and it is split 3-3. My boss is on my side. The other side is trying to set us up (medication errors, missing paperwork, that kind of stuff).

My question is, what would you do to get this to stop? We tried going to administration, but they said they didn't want to do with it, we should handle in internally.

643185[/snapback]

Find a job where you don't work with a bunch of women? As the boss is on your side, isn't their role to manage their people? Those situations are always difficult, but the boss needs to get things under control, IMO. The whole operation - including your clients suffers.

Is she hot??

It doesn't sound like you have much of a boss.  Why isn't he taking care of this situation?

643191[/snapback]

If it were up to her, she would have fired the three long ago. We work in a "team" format, and if someone wants to be hired or get fired, administartion has to make the call. Too bad our admin are a bunch of pussies that can't handle conflict.

Working with women sucks. Bunch of back-stabbing gossipping bitches.

643199[/snapback]

I wasn't joking. What happened to your resume? Is part of the problem that no one wants the work, and the Admin is reluctant over that?

I wasn't joking. What happened to your resume? Is part of the problem that no one wants the work, and the Admin is reluctant over that?

643201[/snapback]

I'm waiting to hear back from DHS but you know how long that can take.

And yeah, no one wants to work. I'm working like 70 hour weeks (which is great, that's 30 hours of OT a week).

To make a long story short,...

643185[/snapback]

If you are working in the public sector, its characteristics of few if any consequences for mediocracy or deportment will generally have to make you live with it. It's a shame - there are many, many good public employees, and they share your feelings.

I had a public sector job for about 3 years, and it was frustrating.

If it were up to her, she would have fired the three long ago. We work in a "team" format, and if someone wants to be hired or get fired, administartion has to make the call. Too bad our admin are a bunch of pussies that can't handle conflict.

643198[/snapback]

Nothing funnier than watching an enterprise consisting solely of liberals and their dream policies. 0:)

p.s. you still didn't answer the pertinent question.

643185[/snapback]

Make sure that you document everything that you do, especially if you are being set up.

As far as the girl slacking, keep a record of when she comes and when she goes, what she does and doesn't do. The more documenting you do the better.

Nothing funnier than watching an enterprise consisting solely of liberals and their dream policies.  0:)

p.s.  you still didn't answer the pertinent question.

643207[/snapback]

No, the girls aren't hot. I work with no hot people... :P

I'm waiting to hear back from DHS but you know how long that can take.

And yeah, no one wants to work. I'm working like 70 hour weeks (which is great, that's 30 hours of OT a week).

643202[/snapback]

I recall you bringing this up more or less once before. I agree with the documenting. I suggested that to a friend a few months ago, and it ended up helping her.

But, if they are that reluctant to get rid of dead wood, you should be safe as well, at least until something else comes along. Also, DHS is no clam bake. There are all kinds of internal issues there as well. Ever think about USAID? Make some nice money in Iraq.

Make sure that you document everything that you do, especially if you are being set up.

As far as the girl slacking, keep a record of when she comes and when she goes, what she does and doesn't do. The more documenting you do the better.

643210[/snapback]

Document everything you do, that is sound advice. You're not the boss, you can't control their behavior, but you can protect yourself.

I recall you bringing this up more or less once before. I agree with the documenting. I suggested that to a friend a few months ago, and it ended up helping her.

But, if they are that reluctant to get rid of dead wood, you should be safe as well, at least until something else comes along. Also, DHS is no clam bake. There are all kinds of internal issues there as well. Ever think about USAID? Make some nice money in Iraq.

643218[/snapback]

Yeah, I have abuddy at DHS and I hear all kinds of sh--. What exactly is USAID?

I forgot to mention...One of the workers told one of our clients to report the three of us for abuse (the client came up and told us). The problem? The workers hubby is good friends with one of our VP's. 0:)

Yeah, I have abuddy at DHS and I hear all kinds of sh--. What exactly is USAID?

643246[/snapback]

USAID

I was just guessing that there might be a social services angle to this, especially if you were multi-lingual. I know they have a lot going on all over the world right now, and a lot of people in Iraq, including quite a bit of contractor support. Contrary to what gets discussed a lot, there is a lot of work going on to restore services and infrastructure.

Sorry, Ed, but when you start tabulating who is on whose side, and who the boss sides with, and people talking behind your back about you and the boss when you are one wall away from them and can hear them cleanly...

You get paid HOW MUCH to tolerate this?

You have to ask yourself three simple questions.

Can you change what is happening? The answer seems to be "no," so the next question is "Can you live with it?" If your answer is "no" again, then you know the answer to the next question is "move on, man." That kind of environment does nothing to help make you a better worker or person. Trying to work in an environment like that is like trying to teach a pig to sing: the teacher always gets frustrated and the pig always gets pissed.

Nothing funnier than watching an enterprise consisting solely of liberals and their dream policies.  0:)

p.s.  you still didn't answer the pertinent question.

643207[/snapback]

Yeah. Given the way the conservatives are efficiently running our country and the world! :P:D:D:)

Yeah. Given the way the conservatives are efficiently running our country and the world!  0:)  :P  :D  :D

643377[/snapback]

Seems to me the media is running things now with their "facts' and forcing politicians into reactionary legislation.

what happens when you have 16 pages of document to support your personal year-end self-evaluation and your supervisor and manager shoot you down and they have NO documentation to support thier stance? not that that is happenning to me right now or anything like that........ :P0:)

Document everything you do, that is sound advice. You're not the boss, you can't control their behavior, but you can protect yourself.

643222[/snapback]

Seems to me the media is running things now with their "facts' and forcing politicians into reactionary legislation.

643383[/snapback]

Yeah..that pesky media..wonder how they got us 9 trillion in debt and into an unwarranted and unwinnable war in Iraq and the bebacle of Katrina (god forbid these clowns are going to walk us through bird flu). Great Job Brownie!!!

funny how all of that started in the bush administration, up to that point the levees were hunky dorey, and saddam and the iraqis were just a bunch of cuddly kiddies, and OMG the Bird Flu Pandemic, it has killed 80 people around the world, run for the hills.........

Yeah..that pesky media..wonder how they got us 9 trillion in debt and into an unwarranted and unwinnable war in Iraq and the bebacle of Katrina (god forbid these clowns are going to walk us through bird flu). Great Job Brownie!!!

643636[/snapback]

Sorry, Ed, but when you start tabulating who is on whose side, and who the boss sides with, and people talking behind your back about you and the boss when you are one wall away from them and can hear them cleanly...

You get paid HOW MUCH to tolerate this?

You have to ask yourself three simple questions.

Can you change what is happening? The answer seems to be "no," so the next question is "Can you live with it?" If your answer is "no" again, then you know the answer to the next question is "move on, man." That kind of environment does nothing to help make you a better worker or person. Trying to work in an environment like that is like trying to teach a pig to sing: the teacher always gets frustrated and the pig always gets pissed.

643346[/snapback]

Amen...make plans to get away from there. There's your job (and all those hours) and then there's the second job of dealing with the work environment that is not going to get any better. Get the resume out and get away from there.

funny how all of that started in the bush administration, up to that point the levees were hunky dorey, and saddam and the iraqis were just a bunch of cuddly kiddies, and OMG the Bird Flu Pandemic, it has killed 80 people around the world, run for the hills.........

643638[/snapback]

"bush administration" who said anything about the Bush administration? I thought it was all the media's fault!! 0:)

643636[/snapback]

So exactly how many Dems voted for this and previous budgets? I missed their massive protests in the media. Help me here, tenny - tell me where I can find the Dem's vehement objections!!!

0:)

So exactly how many Dems voted for this and previous budgets? I missed their massive protests in the media. Help me here, tenny - tell me where I can find the Dem's vehement objections!!!

:P

643718[/snapback]

two words stuck..John Murtha...and remember, before I was banned from PPP and before we ever got into the godforsaken war a certain democrat said:

We shouldn't go into Iraq

There ween't any weapons of mass destruction

The war would cost over $100 Billion (BOY was I wrong...nevertheless a bundle of the neo-fascists on PPP called for my ouster for coming up with such a big figure.)

and sadly the prediction that the day we walked out of Iraq there would be a civil war. I was wrong...looks like they are starting the civil war with us there. Look in the archives my friend.

643185[/snapback]

the first thing i would do is change my avatar, youre asking for lightning, or in this case a blabbermouth co worker

maybe look into a monkey, or an ape, or some sort of farm animal

643185[/snapback]

I never understood why adults do this crap. This is the 30-something version of high school dating drama. It happens everywhere, too. Slacking? It sounds to me like she's simply not got enough to do. If she has time to sit around and BS around the water cooler, she can take on another couple of cases. If she can't handle that, she should be placed on the standard "improvement plan." The gossip types are always the ones that wind up incompetent in the end. Intimidated by the work, so they pass the time with gossip.

Get it to stop? Don't pay any freaking attention to it and do your job the way you know how. Start playing into it and you can be damn sure she's asking a friend of hers the same question you're asking us. You know, "there's this guy at work, he thinks I'm slacking and all he does is try and blah blah blah."

Do you have any control over the situation? Can you stop it? Can you file a formal complaint? Either your boss sprouts a pair and turns the place into a productive working environment, or you should pack your stojan and find someplace you can work without the distraction. It sounds to me like your boss is incapbable of running the place. She views her subordinates as peers or friends and is afraid of hurting someone's feelings.

None of that matters, really, because it doesn't sound like you have any actual authority. Ignore it. Every last bit of it. If you're not content with it and can't iniate real change, leave.

-Jeff