Quarterbacking with Dignity

JCBoston

Not like we needed any more proof -- especially after how he left Buffalo -- but Drew has officially relinquished all claims to integrity.

Drew and T.O

Nice little blurb in there too, about how DB had to "deal" with Eric Moulds. Until that Miami game from last year, I never put EM in the same category as Terry Glenn, T.O., and Me-shawn Johnson, but if the shoe fits, I guess...

Not like we needed any more proof -- especially after how he left Buffalo -- but Drew has officially relinquished all claims to integrity.

Drew and T.O

Nice little blurb in there too, about how DB had to "deal" with Eric Moulds.  Until that Miami game from last year, I never put EM in the same category as Terry Glenn, T.O., and Me-shawn Johnson, but if the shoe fits, I guess...

640274[/snapback]

That's the author, Michael Smith, putting EM into that group...not DB. I also wonder how Terry Glenn belongs in the company of TO and Meshwan.

Bledsoe is probably like alot of us (in a real-world comparison sort of way). I've been doing my job for 20 years. I know I'm good at what i do. I get good results year after year. I don't really give a crap if someone says something bad about me or tries to give me a hard time about my job performance. Bledsoe is like that now as a QB. If TO wants to flap his gums all day and talk crap about Drew then I'm sure Drew could care less. I'm not the biggest Bledsoe fan but I respect what he's done and his ability. TO won't get under his skin. That being said, it was funny to see meShawn dress down Bledsoe on the sidelines last year during that one game.

That's the author, Michael Smith, putting EM into that group...not DB.  I also wonder how Terry Glenn belongs in the company of TO and Meshwan.

640285[/snapback]

Yes, I realize that was the author's doing. Sorry for not being clearer.

Terry Glenn was a T.O prototype (in behavioral terms) when he was in New England. He was even shut down for half of a season at one point, by none other than the Tuna himself.

Drew and T.O

Nice little blurb in there too, about how DB had to "deal" with Eric Moulds.  Until that Miami game from last year, I never put EM in the same category as Terry Glenn, T.O., and Me-shawn Johnson, but if the shoe fits, I guess...

640274[/snapback]

What is a person of integrity supposed to say in this situation? My understandfing is that the owner and GM neither asked for Bledsoe's guidance or permission on whether to pursue TO.

Once he is delivered to the team, do you expect Bledsoe to draw some line of tension with a teammate.

My sense of Bledsoe's comments are that he appropriately welcomed a teammate, promised honesty and laid out a requirement of honesty. I have no problem whatsoever with that.

What do you propose that a "man of integrity" says in this situation that serves the interests of his team?

Terry Glenn was a T.O prototype (in behavioral terms) when he was in New England.  He was even shut down for half of a season at one point, by none other than the Tuna himself.

640338[/snapback]

I always blamed the Tuna for that. Probably my bias showing.

Actually, you probably could not ask for a better pairing for TO than Drew. Despite all of Bledsoe's shortcomings, which we all know too well, Drew is a very stand-up and secure guy. He's not likely to get his "feelings hurt" if/when TO mouths off. Also, his years of success in the league and ability to throw the football should be enough to keep TO quiet in the first place. I also think that Drew is the kind of guy that will approach TO after an altercation and say "My bad" -- even when it really may have been TO's fault.

And if TO can't get along with Drew, then he won't ever get along with anybody...

What do you propose that a "man of integrity" says in this situation that serves the interests of his team?

640350[/snapback]

I have no problem with Drew's comments, in and of themselves. It's pretty much standard-issue stuff.

I simply find it hypocritical (gasp! from a professional athlete!) that a guy who spent years building up a stand-up, good-boy, live-life-with-integrity image would come out and basically say he'd rather win at all cost.

Not that he has a choice, either. You're absolutely correct that he has no control over who the Cowboys hire.

Perhaps he should have just kept his mouth shut.

I think Drew as at the point in his life where winning the Big Game is important. His future in the Hall of Fame is depending on him as a starting QB in a superbowl, his only win came when he is on the bench watching Brady become a hero in a city where WAS Superman. I think with his career winding down he should think of win at all cost, he already got his jack(and say what you want he has done more then enough pilanthropy to be thought of as a "stand up guy"). I for one am glad TO is not here, but for the Cowboys I think it makes sense, he gives them a playmaker that could put them over the top.

Geez....a lot of hooey over nothing. Football players understand, respect and like each other a lot more than fans do (unless they are playing for their favorite team of course).

Everyone in the NFL knows Owens is a great player and almost any QB would be psyched to have him. Likewise, Bledsoe is viewed as a quality QB and Owens is psyched to be playing with him.

Players know who is good and who isn't. Just look at the reaction of all the Bills players over the past year to Bledsoe being dumped. They knew it would make the Bills a worse team and they were right.

One other thing... And this may be far-fetched, but knowing that Parcells is a master psychologist, I wouldn't put it past him. Remember that the Tuna was an noticeable ommission from the TO signing party. Perhaps, he called aside Bledsoe, and reminded him of the fanfair that accompanied TO's arrival in Philly -- and suggested that the leaders of the team impose that TO earn their trust and respect from the outset.

Terry Glenn was a T.O prototype (in behavioral terms) when he was in New England.  He was even shut down for half of a season at one point, by none other than the Tuna himself.

640338[/snapback]

He only played one year under Parcells - his rookie season. Set the record for catches by a rookie that year.

Belichick is the one who shut him down in 2001. TG didn't get a ring.

He only played one year under Parcells - his rookie season. Set the record for catches by a rookie that year.

Belichick is the one who shut him down in 2001. TG didn't get a ring.

640817[/snapback]

See what living here does to your brain?

Thanks ATBNG :lol:

I do remember the "groceries" comment coming from Parcells in regard to Glenn, though...

See what living here does to your brain?

Thanks ATBNG  :lol:

I do remember the "groceries" comment coming from Parcells in regard to Glenn, though...

640843[/snapback]

That was in my brain, too.

I dunno - I wasn't a Drew fan last year... But there's something about the big ol' lug that I realy like. Even in NE I kinda liked the way he played. I was nuts about him in Buffalo. And I feel like this season, even as a Cowpoke - I could like Drew a lot again. He's classy.

I feel like this season, even as a Cowpoke - I could like Drew a lot again.  He's classy.

640975[/snapback]

The whining about him here seems to revolve around his disappointment with being released by the Bills. I'm convinced I would not have left in the same "Classy" manner as Drew after playing for a team who put my life in the hands of Mike Pucillo, Ross Tucker and Marques Sullivan; a trio who played a combined 4 or 5 total downs in the NFL last season.

I have no problem with Drew's comments, in and of themselves.  It's pretty much standard-issue stuff.

I simply find it hypocritical (gasp! from a professional athlete!) that a guy who spent years building up a stand-up, good-boy, live-life-with-integrity image would come out and basically say he'd rather win at all cost.

Not that he has a choice, either. You're absolutely correct that he has no control over who the Cowboys hire.

Perhaps he should have just kept his mouth shut.

640525[/snapback]

Bills fans crapped all over Bledsoe for saying "this is my team", and now they are crapping on him for wanting to win...I loathe TO as much as anyone. However, I know, as I am sure Bledsoe does, his chances of winning just got a lot better...I think they will make a very strong duo...I say good for Bledsoe. If the worst anyone can B word about him is for lacking integrity, because he wants to "win at all costs", he must not be near the disaster at QB as Bills fans have convinced themselves that he is...

How on earth does any of this have to do with Drew Bledsoe's integrity? He didn't pick T.O. and he doesn't have much choice about having to play with him. I never had any problem with Bledsoe's integrity and think he handled things pretty well here in Buffalo.

So, Glenn was "She" in his rookie year?

Hmmmm. That's colliding with my rememberances.

Oh well.

640958[/snapback]

At the time, Glenn was a victim of Parcells' didain simply because the Tuna was overruled by the Pats' GM on draft day. If memory serves me correctly, Parcells wanted to draft a defensive player instead. Glenn went onto set some rookie receiving records that year, and the Patriots wouldn't have made it to the Super Bowl that year without him.