Who will be the Bills' starter

Which QB will win the three man competition?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB will win the three man competition?

• Craig Nall
    • Kelly Holcomb
    • JP Losman
    • Other (please explain)

In order for him to unseat Holcomb as starter, Holcomb would have had to have been named starter. I guess it depends on how you determine whos the teams starting QB is.

I would still consider Losman Buffalos starter as he started the year that way and (just going by what we were told) was unable to start the last couple of games due to injury.

Holcomb was the backup who filled in when the starter wasn't working out and was injured.

I could see JP starting next year, if not I have a feeling Nall will as he sounds like he is going to be pretty good, but either way I see Holcomb released or taking the clipboard and visor from matthews

I can't say who is going to start, but if I wake up opening week and find out Holcomb is the starter for my team, I am going to kill someone. The dude isn't starter material unless he's playing against some stupid-ass team with no defense.

He's a career backup and that is it. Plain and simple.

Define waste of time: letting Holcomb compete for the starting QB position for any team.

I could see JP starting next year, if not I have a feeling Nall will as he sounds like he is going to be pretty good, but either way I see Holcomb released or taking the clipboard and visor from matthews

639324[/snapback]

Nall's had success in garbage time and NFL Europe; so I'm curious if he can have success in the more difficult task of playing an NFL game where the outcome is still in doubt. I hope he's up to the task. Holcomb's a solid QB, but his career won't last forever. The Bills need a younger guy who can step up.

Nall's had success in garbage time and NFL Europe; so I'm curious if he can have success in the more difficult task of playing an NFL game where the outcome is still in doubt. I hope he's up to the task. Holcomb's a solid QB, but his career won't last forever. The Bills need a younger guy who can step up.

639336[/snapback]

A lot will really be determined by how the oddly shaped ball bounces. I know you and others have some firm sense of who is the better QB, but IMHO. all have pluses and minuses and most important the minuses for each QB are a pretty good reason why NO ONE should be counting upon any of these three to be a dead lock cinch to win the starting job.

Holcomb- clearly the best player among these three, BUT he never has produced consistently as a starting QB in his ten years in the NFL. The ten years are a double edged sword as he uses his experience to make good decisions under pressure, but he clearly is on the backside of his career and no one reasonably views him as the Bills QB of the future when it would be a great 06 for us simply to even make the playoffs.

Nall- He has showed some flashes of talent but they were in Europe and in a mop-up role for the most durable QB in NFL history. Still the Pack has a well deserved rep for picking quality back-ups who when they leave town because it was impossible for a talented QB to sit and wait for Favre to get hurt actually blossomed into SB capable QBs like Hasselback and Warner.

Still Europe and mop-up are just Europe and mop-up and even though Nall is just hitting his prime it would be nuts to count on him.

JP- Incedibly well regarded running for his life but still producing for Tulane. If he had stayed in school given the week competition at QB that draft if he had a year like his junior year when he produced with little help he likely would have been the first QB chosen. Yet his Bills career has been up and down wth an impressive pre-season devut which was ended by injury which occured in part due to his cockiness. He showed good progress in each mop-appearance after his injury which began with him getting steamrollered when he was thrown to the sharks against NE. His rookie year production was started by him stupidly be anointed the starter rather than winning the job on the field and any progress he showed was in fact progress but he went from mediocre to sub-adequate.

None of these men deserve the starting nod based on their resumes and performance (though again Holcomb clearly has the best performance to be seen among these three.

My guess is that JP gets the regular season start because his age and his contract will make him first among QBs who are all inadequate to take the starting job. I can easily be wrong, but the good news is that it will be decided on the field of play and not by the rantings of fans. If the ball bounces out of Shelton's awkward hands and right into a defenders arms as it did late last season when Holcomb got 'credited' wth an INT he did not deserve, one might see a QB get the job even if his play was worse.

A lot will really be determined by how the oddly shaped ball bounces.  I know you and others have some firm sense of who is the better QB, but IMHO. all have pluses and minuses and most important the minuses for each QB are a pretty good reason why NO ONE should be counting upon any of these three to be a dead lock cinch to win the starting job.

639381[/snapback]

Good point. Clearly, Holcomb is the most known commodity, while Nall is the least known. I'd also say Nall may have the most upside of the three, just based on the way he's taken advantage of the opportunities he's been given. I guess we'll know more about him as the season unfolds.

I can't say who is going to start, but if I wake up opening week and find out Holcomb is the starter for my team, I am going to kill someone. The dude isn't starter material unless he's playing against some stupid-ass team with no defense.

He's a career backup and that is it. Plain and simple.

Define waste of time: letting Holcomb compete for the starting QB position for any team.

639332[/snapback]

I can't believe how negative you are about our QB. He has a new OC, the last 5 or 6 years don't mean anything. We have Marv and Jauron. Until proven otherwise, they are to be revered as royalty and nothing they do is to be criticized, including their choice of QB. Nothing can be ascertained about future performance by past history, and it is way too early to use common sense. :doh:

Ha ha. Only one person has voted for Holcomb. I wonder who that is? :doh:

639412[/snapback]

C'est moi. Holcomb's proven the most of the three, and he knows how to dump the ball off when the protection isn't there. He's a solid player.

That said, Nall is the first QB the Bills have brought in with input from Fairchild. You need a big arm to run the Fairchild offense, and Nall certainly has that. So I wouldn't be shocked to see Nall under center on opening day.

Guest BackInDaDay

I voted for Nalls, but now I'm thinking Holcomb.

Holcomb is the least talented of the three, so in the ever-evolving bizzarro world of OBD he'll be considered the best option.

Losman will wander the sidelines muttering to himself as Kelly goes 17 of 21 for 104 yards. Nalls will be told never to speak with Losman, and within two years he'll wish he stayed in GB to clean Aaron Rogers' cleats.

C'est moi. Holcomb's proven the most of the three, and he knows how to dump the ball off when the protection isn't there. He's a solid player.

That said, Nall is the first QB the Bills have brought in with input from Fairchild. You need a big arm to run the Fairchild offense, and Nall certainly has that. So I wouldn't be shocked to see Nall under center on opening day.

639427[/snapback]

if he is such a good starter WHY did he end up on the bills . seems to me if he is the football god you think he is , holcomb would have been picked up by some ot her team . i think his only offer was by the bills ?