What the HELL is going on in the Sopranos

Watched it again today...the voice on the phone is different every conversation. Just FYI. It's a number of different women, maybe all the women in his life? Either way, they changed the voice to keep it purposely vague. 

And he is clearly in some sort of "waiting station" ala purgatory. Tons of religious imagry throughout his scenes -- it's not him imagining what his life might have been like. He is stuck because the comma was induced.

637000[/snapback]

At the end was that the proverbial "light at the end of the tunnel"?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the voice was Adriana, the ghost mentioned at the very begining of last week's episode (with Carmella saying she was very afraid).

So, the name Finnerty.... Coincidence it is "Finn or T?" Finn is Meadow's road to the straight life, and of course T is, well, T. Maybe he is in purgtory until he figures out if he's Finn or T.

At the end was that the proverbial "light at the end of the tunnel"?

637007[/snapback]

Sure. I mean, there are lots of ways to interpret the imagry, but that is how I interpreted the lighthouse he could see from his window. There were also (off the top of my head)

The fire on the Hotel TV (Hell)

The cross on the television & references to Sin, Disease etc (salvation)

The bartender saying, "it's dead around here"

The Monks slapping Tony (lots of ways to run with this one)

The reference by the lady at the convention to "it's a whole new world".

The missing wallet and ID to the voice on teh phone saying Tony's commitment to work was partly responsible for this prediciment (sins/responsibility etc)

I'm not saying I'm right on any of these, but I think the episode was chalk full of imagry designed to make you think -- very self reflective in a way. You see what you want to see sort of thing.

That is why I think the voice on the phone is so interesting to hear who everyone on here thinks the voice is. To me (again, not saying I'm right) I heard three different female voices for each conversation he had. Others are sure it was Carm, or Ad, or whoever. It's kind of fun that way.

Sure. I mean, there are lots of ways to interpret the imagry, but that is how I interpreted the lighthouse he could see from his window. There were also (off the top of my head)

The fire on the Hotel TV (Hell)

The cross on the television & references to Sin, Disease etc (salvation)

The bartender saying, "it's dead around here"

The Monks slapping Tony (lots of ways to run with this one)

The reference by the lady at the convention to "it's a whole new world".

The missing wallet and ID to the voice on teh phone saying Tony's commitment to work was partly responsible for this prediciment (sins/responsibility etc)

I'm not saying I'm right on any of these, but I think the episode was chalk full of imagry designed to make you think -- very self reflective in a way. You see what you want to see sort of thing.

That is why I think the voice on the phone is so interesting to hear who everyone on here thinks the voice is. To me (again, not saying I'm right) I heard three different female voices for each conversation he had. Others are sure it was Carm, or Ad, or whoever. It's kind of fun that way.

637057[/snapback]

Here's something I noticed after watching it again tonight. Tony falls and hits his head on the 5th floor...seeing as how there have been five seasons previous to this I have to believe it wasn't coicendence on the part of Chase. Maybe suggesting that he's been in a downward spiral for the last five years?? I dunno, could be something, could be nothing.

I do know one thing. After watching it again, I liked it even more than I did on Sunday and I liked it a lot then.

Here's something I noticed after watching it again tonight.  Tony falls and hits his head on the 5th floor...seeing as how there have been five seasons previous to this I have to believe it wasn't coicendence on the part of Chase.  Maybe suggesting that he's been in a downward spiral for the last five years??  I dunno, could be something, could be nothing. 

I do know one thing.  After watching it again, I liked it even more than I did on Sunday and I liked it a lot then.

637076[/snapback]

Definitely could be something to that. I took that whole scene in a similar manner -- before Tony goes down the stairs he is standing by the elevator and there is a sign on the wall (standard hotel sign) showing a person running down the stairs away from a fire (hell).

I viewed his traveling down the stairs as Tony trying to escape his fate (it was right around there that Carm was talking about him not going to hell) and the numbers possibly having to do with Dante's inferno and the different levels of hell. I forget which circle of hell 5 is -- but it might be worth looking into.

Definitely could be something to that. I took that whole scene in a similar manner -- before Tony goes down the stairs he is standing by the elevator and there is a sign on the wall (standard hotel sign) showing a person running down the stairs away from a fire (hell).

I viewed his traveling down the stairs as Tony trying to escape his fate (it was right around there that Carm was talking about him not going to hell) and the numbers possibly having to do with Dante's inferno and the different levels of hell. I forget which circle of hell 5 is -- but it might be worth looking into.

637085[/snapback]

you're really perceptive. I'm not good at reading into symbolism but I didn't buy into the "how tony's life would have been had he not been a mobster theory". I think yours is what Chase wanted people to see out of this episode. I'm gonna watch it again though since i have it on avi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_Comedy#Inferno

"Fifth Circle. The wrathful, fighting each other in the swamp-like water of the river Styx, and the sullen, trapped beneath the water (Canto VII)."

I'm not analytical enough to know what that means, but there it is.

I'm just a huge movie/tv nerd.  :devil:

637108[/snapback]

lol. i can't wait to see what happens. I don't think AJ will be the next Michael Corleone. Personally I think he will eventually kill Junior but will go to jail, or get clipped for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_Comedy#Inferno

"Fifth Circle. The wrathful, fighting each other in the swamp-like water of the river Styx, and the sullen, trapped beneath the water (Canto VII)."

I'm not analytical enough to know what that means, but there it is.

637109[/snapback]

Hmm...being trapped under the water could be very symbolic of Tony being in a coma.

Dunno though, just a long shot there.

I thought the voice was Adriana, the ghost mentioned at the very begining of last week's episode (with Carmella saying she was very afraid).

So, the name Finnerty....  Coincidence it is "Finn or T?" Finn is Meadow's road to the straight life, and of course T is, well, T.  Maybe he is in purgtory until he figures out if he's Finn or T.

637053[/snapback]

His full name was Kevin Finerty similar to Kev "Infinity". Another purgatory reference.

Guys,

The voice is Adrianna's. I think we are going to see more people that Tony has killed or responsible for killing in the past 5 seasons. Also, the guys Tony had dinner with, one of them were the Jews son who was killed on Tony's orders and another was the man Tony killed while taking his daughter up to see a College.

The big question is, where is Tony at? Dreaming? I dont think so, I think he is between life and death. You keep seeing that becon of light flashing in the distance.

For the family.... I think your going to see everything crumble. Paulie is going to switch sides, Chris is either going to kill Paul or Paul is going to kill him.

Also, remember the Russian Special Forces guy is still lurking out there.... When Chris and Paul were lost in the woods.... I bet that is Paul's death bed, but I would like to see Tony wack him out

Furio situation is still unsettled......

Here is a sneak peak at whats on the way... TONY WILL BE OK!

Title Writer (s) Director Original Airdate #

"Members Only" Terence Winter Tim Van Patten March 12, 2006 66

Eugene Pontecorvo, wanting to retire to Florida, commits suicide after being let down by both his friends and the FBI; Uncle Junior shoots Tony in a fit of confusion.

"Join the Club" David Chase David Nutter March 19, 2006 67

Tony suffers from a case of mistaken identity during a west coast business trip, which actually turns out to be a dream sequence while he is recovering from a gunshot wound.

"Mayham" Matthew Weiner Jack Bender March 26, 2006 68

Silvio divides the spoils from Paulie's latest score, and heads off a territorial impasse between Bobby and Vito. Carmela turns to an unexpected source for help with AJ; Christopher turns to an old writing acquaintance, JT Dolan, for help in a new venture.

"The Fleshy Part of the Thigh" Robin Green & Mitchell Burgess TBA April 2, 2006 69

Tony and Johnny Sack haggle over Barone Sanitation's future; Paulie is rocked by an aunt's revelation.

"Mr. & Mrs. Sacrimoni Request" Terence Winter Steve Buscemi April 9, 2006 70

Johnny files a petition to attend his daughter's wedding; Tony hires a new bodyguard.

"Live Free or Die" TBA TBA April 16, 2006 71

Tony debates whether to give a top earner a second chance and looks abroad to settle a local dispute.

"Luxury Lounge" TBA TBA April 23, 2006 72

Artie's business is jeopardized by a rival restaurant and staff scandal; Christopher and Little Carmine pursue a new venture out of town.

"Johnny Cakes" TBA TBA April 30, 2006 73

Tony is tempted by a real-estate offer; Vito is wowed by an act of heroism; AJ looks to "diversify".

"The Ride" TBA TBA May 7, 2006 74

Plot to be announced.

"Moe and Joe" TBA Steve Shill May 14, 2006 75

Plot to be announced.

"TBA" TBA TBA May 21, 2006 76

Plot to be announced.

"Sentimental Journey" TBA TBA TBD 77

The summer finale for Part One of Season 6.

Guys,

The voice is Adrianna's.  I think we are going to see more people that Tony has killed or responsible for killing in the past 5 seasons.  Also, the guys Tony had dinner with, one of them were the Jews son who was killed on Tony's orders and another was the man Tony killed while taking his daughter up to see a College. 

637483[/snapback]

You know, I watched the last half of it again, last night. Unless, what somebody said, each time Tony speaks to hss wife, it is a different voice, what I heard was not Adriana. I really think it was Anabella Sciorra's voice....

I kind of thought the last scene, where Tony picks up the phone, and then, confused, puts it down again, was either a sign that he was about to come out of his coma, or go one step further into the abyss....

Great episode. Concur that the wife's voice on the phone changes each time. One of them I think was Rose Aprile.

Oh and can AJ please get whacked soon?  I fuggin hate that kid...

637607[/snapback]

who's gonna kill him? i wonder if vito was actually gonna try and rape the boss's son lol

Great episode. Concur that the wife's voice on the phone changes each time. One of them I think was Rose Aprile.

Oh and can AJ please get whacked soon?  I fuggin hate that kid...

637607[/snapback]

After seeing the show, in its' entirety, for a second time, I now think the first two phone conversations that Tony has with his "wife" are Angie Bomphonsero (sp?)- you know kitty's wife, with the body shop. The third conversation is with Adriana, though not quite as thick on the tough girl accent. If you ever watched the episode where she gets killed, with commentaries, her accent is nowhere near as thick as what she used for Adriana. And, I think the last voice is Gloria Trillo (Anabella Sciorra).

I was trying to put the three ladies in perspective of the show. Gloria killed herself, Tony (presumably) ordered Adrianas' murder, and you could say that he ruined the life of Angie, first by killing her husband, and then by forcing her into a crooked business.

They seem to be working up to something with Angie. There was the kind of odd scene with her and Carmela, interspliced with Tony lying on Uncle Junior's living room floor bleeding, talking about her new car ("My accountant told me it was better to own it outright"), with Carmela looking at her and the car with some doubt. And then, in this second episode, there is a scene where Carmela is talking to Rosalie in the hospital. She says something like "Angie sends her best, but she is too busy to come down, with that body shop..." When she says it, it is sort of sarcastic, like she doesn't believe she is too busy....kinds of rolls her eyes...