"Buffalo Wings"

Just got an e-mail from a poker buddy saying he is going to a local wings place (Boston) and wanted to know "what flavor wings do you want, other than Buffalo wings?"

WTF is that?

-Wings come in degress of hotness, not "flavors"

-Wings are not "Buffalo Wings" - they are simply "wings"

-Wings should not be served as solid bits in a soup of hot sauce

-Wings should be crispy

It's like thinking Spaghettios is real authentic Intalian food.

Man, sometimes I hate living outside of WNY.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen, I've moved to the NYC area, and people just piss me off about it. Maybe sometimes I'm a wing snob but really the rest of the world is out of control with their "Buffalo Wings".

Just a note:

I'm not a fan of other flavors but "Sliders" are very good. They can be found at the Marlboro Inn in Sanborn on wed. night. Very good wings there!!

OUT

Just got an e-mail from a poker buddy saying he is going to a local wings place (Boston) and wanted to know "what flavor wings do you want, other than Buffalo wings?"

WTF is that?

-Wings come in degress of hotness, not "flavors"

-Wings are not "Buffalo Wings" - they are simply "wings"

-Wings should not be served as solid bits in a soup of hot sauce

-Wings should be crispy

It's like thinking Spaghettios is real authentic Intalian food.

Man, sometimes I hate living outside of WNY.

633306[/snapback]

Nothing is worse than when national Pizza chains try their version of "Buffalo Wings". Papa Johns, and Dominos come to mind as flagrant offenders. Maybe we should start a "Worst wings ever" thread.

Nothing is worse than when national Pizza chains try their version of "Buffalo Wings".  Papa Johns, and Dominos come to mind as flagrant offenders.  Maybe we should start a "Worst wings ever" thread.

633334[/snapback]

Dominos could headline that list ----- I was living in Illinois about 10 years ago and someone ordered wings from Dominos --- they were like pigeon feet with sauce.

I actually like the other "flavors" of wings, i.e. teriyaki, honey BBQ, etc.

What irks me is seeing "buffalo wings" and getting some boneless breaded thing!  Yech!

And when they come served with Ranch instead of blue cheese?  Double yech.

633754[/snapback]

yeah, what's up with the ranch dressing side dish ---- real wing eaters do it with blue cheese

I've had to resort to wings w/ honey BBQ sauce or something like that, cause I've just about given up trying to find good hot wings. Next step is going to be trying out some of the recipes you guys have listed on TBD.....I can't take it anymore!!!

yeah, what's up with the ranch dressing side dish ---- real wing eaters do it with blue cheese

633768[/snapback]

Ranch is the 'default' setting down here in Atlanta....friggin NASTY. Don't these people understand the synergy that exists between hot wings and blue cheese dressing???

Sorry, but Buffalo did not invent the "Chicken Wing" The preparation is the "Buffalo Wing." That is a specific way of preparing the wings with a specific sauce/coating. So if a restaurant wants to serve wings done differently, I don't see a problem as long as they don't call them Buffalo Wings.

Sorry, but Buffalo did not invent the "Chicken Wing"  The preparation is the "Buffalo Wing."  That is a specific way of preparing the wings with a specific sauce/coating.  So if a restaurant wants to serve wings done differently, I don't see a problem as long as they don't call them Buffalo Wings.

633781[/snapback]

That's what they do down here....they call EVERYTHING Buffalo wings, but then they have different 'flavors' and sauces....it's ridiculous. "You want Buffalo wings with teryaki sauce?" Um, no.....I want BUFFALO WINGS.....HOT WINGS. :lol:

I understand the ranch dressing thing. Like most American offerings, if it has any flavor beyond what is considered "mild," it's unacceptable. Bleu cheese is that so instead the less-offensive ranch dressing is offered.

Speaking of which, I'm gonna have to make me a mess o'wings this weekend. Mostly Buffalo-style, some teriyaki.

I understand the ranch dressing thing.  Like most American offerings, if it has any flavor beyond what is considered "mild," it's unacceptable.  Bleu cheese is that so instead the less-offensive ranch dressing is offered. 

Speaking of which, I'm gonna have to make me a mess o'wings this weekend.  Mostly Buffalo-style, some teriyaki.

633816[/snapback]

Either that or it's because Americans "drink" ranch dressing like it was milk.

Either that or it's because Americans "drink" ranch dressing like it was milk.

633827[/snapback]

lol, that must be true, cause the mental image just made me want to vomit!

Now THAT'S a problem.  I'm a purest when it comes to food. 

Server:  Would you like grilled chicken on your Caesar Salad?

Me:  No, because if you put chicken on it, it would no longer be a Caesar Salad now would it?

633790[/snapback]

My wife would occasionally pick up one of Wendy's "Spring Mix" salads. She would pitch the cheese shreds. They dropped that salad, and everything they have now has some sort of meat piled on.

I'm not much of a salad eater, but Wendy's did a good job with theirs - clean, fresh, etc.

Sorry to see them bow to the inevitable... on her way home from work, she would pick up one to go with a pasta dish I was preparing for her. :lol:

Sorry, but Buffalo did not invent the "Chicken Wing"  The preparation is the "Buffalo Wing."  That is a specific way of preparing the wings with a specific sauce/coating.  So if a restaurant wants to serve wings done differently, I don't see a problem as long as they don't call them Buffalo Wings.

633781[/snapback]

Wow, okay I didn't know the origination of the "Buffalo Wing." I thought they were all the same. :lol: Course growing up on the left coast I wouldn't know that, I guess. Those Buffalo Wings with blue cheese sound really good though! Ranch should only be used on salads.

Wow, okay I didn't know the origination of the "Buffalo Wing."  I thought they were all the same.  :lol:  Course growing up on the left coast I wouldn't know that, I guess.  Those Buffalo Wings with blue cheese sound really good though!  Ranch should only be used on salads.

633925[/snapback]

This should really be on the Discovery Channel. "Search for the Real Wings".

No, they aren't all the same. Mine are pretty damn good. But we're concentrating on bars. I have no idea who makes good wings, they sure don't in any bar I've been in in 15 years.

This should really be on the Discovery Channel. "Search for the Real Wings".

No, they aren't all the same. Mine are pretty damn good. But we're concentrating on bars. I have no idea who makes good wings, they sure don't in any bar I've been in in 15 years.

633935[/snapback]

At my dad's restaurant he had the best damn wings I ever had. This was probably 30 years ago, so this was the Buffalo Wing heyday. The sauce was the best. I asked him where he got the recipe and he told me it was a secret. Well one day I was breaking down boxes and one was the Durkee Frank's hot sauce box. And on the side was their Buffalo Wing sauce recipe. Secret sauce my ass. :lol: