mmmmm Pi

Sadder still is this quote:

His ranking should be verified by the Pi World Ranking List within two months.

This means that there is some sort of official body out there responsible for finding these people and validating their recitation - now that's a crappy way to spend your time...

Sadder still is this quote:

This means that there is some sort of official body out there responsible for finding these people and validating their recitation - now that's a crappy way to spend your time...

632367[/snapback]

was he not speaking clearly enough for voice recognition software to transcribe all the crap he spewed?

if he's not autistic then he can use those memorization skills to get himself into medical school

otherwise, let's see how well he can problem solve

If you can't get laid in Bangalore you got big problems.

632400[/snapback]

If saying 2.33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333.....

can get you laid anywhere, let me know. :doh:

If memorizing pi to several thousand places adds depth and knowledge to ones life, I'm VERY happy to be shallow and stupid.

632934[/snapback]

I was joking, but the brain is a muscle...if he's able to do that, he is probably one smart dude in many areas.

I was joking, but the brain is a muscle...if he's able to do that, he is probably one smart dude in many areas.

632945[/snapback]

Ahh... thought you were being serious. But I'm sure you're right. He is probably very smart. My point about him not being named "John Smith" is that little Johnny was probably too busy playing little league and studying regular math to be concerned with memorizing pi to a billion places. I just think some countries will hold the record in anything just to say they have it.

When I was a freshman in HS, my math teacher told me that If I could remember Pi to the first 100 places, I could use that as my test grade... I'd get a point for every place I remembered. When I finally missed, that's my grade.

I remembered the whole thing.. up to 100. I then proceeded to cut the next class and spend the entire hour smoking in the boys' room.

So, how's everyone feel 'bout 'e?' WIthout which, there's no 'ln!' Oh, and golden rectanges!! God I'm such a dork.

-Jeff

632945[/snapback]

depends on how you define intelligence

does memorization = intelligence? or does problem solving ability = intelligence?

many animals can memorize...cats, dogs, monkeys, dolphins, elephants, etc...what sets humans apart from animals is our problem solving ability

the ability to problem solve drives progress and innovation...being able to memorize a bunch of numbers or body parts might be impressive, but in the end, you're just regurgitating information without manipulating it

a good example of this would be comparing a bio related class in college to an engineering class

for a genetics test, you'd just memorize a buttload of info and regurgitate it all back (same deal with the MCATs and med school boards)

in an engineering test you're allowed to bring in pretty much anything you want...people would come in with stacks of books, laptops, notes and old exams...you weren't expected to memorize anything because memorizing something wouldn't save you anyway...instead, they test your ability to apply your knowledge and problem solve