Cap Experts?

Frez

Can the Bills trade Eric Moulds? If Moulds doesn't want to be here why not make a deal with another team and send him off packing. I bet Eric Moulds would be a hot commodity on draft day for certain teams.

Browns | Rumor alert: Team trying to trade Faine?

Sun, 12 Mar 2006 08:30:21 -0800

Bob Brookover, of the Philadelphia Inquirer, reports there is some talk the Cleveland Browns are trying to trade OC Jeff Faine. He is a three-year starter and former first-round draft pick who is just 24 years old.

Can the Bills trade Eric Moulds? If Moulds doesn't want to be here why not make a deal with another team and send him off packing. I bet Eric Moulds would be a hot commodity on draft day for certain teams.

Browns | Rumor alert: Team trying to trade Faine?

Sun, 12 Mar 2006 08:30:21 -0800

Bob Brookover, of the Philadelphia Inquirer, reports there is some talk the Cleveland Browns are trying to trade OC Jeff Faine. He is a three-year starter and former first-round draft pick who is just 24 years old.

625816[/snapback]

Trading Moulds may be exactly why Levy has not already flat out released him. Its a relatively tight market for WR both in free agency and in the Draft. The redskins just traded a 3 & next years 4th for the SF WR.

We would save $5 million in cap if we traded Moulds...it equates to cutting Moulds.

It would be quite a coup if marv could pick up a 3rd rd pick and also free up $5million in cap space.

Lets see the market develop as the free agent WR's get signed...hopefully we get 2 or 3 playoff teams in need of a quality veteran WR and Moulds is the only realistic option.

Cut him, trade him, it all counts the same against the Bills cap, so yes, they can do it. The question is whether or not the Bills could find someone willing to part with a draft pick at his age and with his contract.

The fact that he may soon be released isn't going to help, either.

Cut him,  trade him,  it all counts the same against the Bills cap,  so yes,  they can do it.  The question is whether or not the Bills could find someone willing to part with a draft pick at his age and with his contract. 

The fact that he may soon be released isn't going to help, either.

625828[/snapback]

Maybe Moulds would be all for being traded to another team and re-doing his contract for them? If we traded Moulds isn't it a bigger cap savings for us rather than cutting him?

I'm thinking trading Moulds for another player rather than a draft pick.

Perhaps. Cutting him and trading him have about the same cap ramifications. The only problem with trading him is that someone has to want him and his contract. To a prospective team

Pros of Trading

-Can cut him at any time and incur no cap penalty

Cons of trading

-Have to pay him a large salary

-Have to give up a pick/player

In short, a team might not be willing to trade for EM because they know they can get him cheaper on the open market. This is probably only enough to extract a 2nd day pick out of some team. Plus they will probably want to restruture his contract anyway, which he is apparently unwilling to do for the bills....

Its possible we could hold out for a 5th or 6th rounder for him...but I dont think we get much more than that. Better than cutting him, but not by much.

I aggree that it obviously is possible and would be beneficial for us to trade him, but it will be hard to find a partner who is not simply just willing to wait for him to be cut and then to try to sign him for less than his current contract which led to the Bills cutting him because it is larger than his value as a player and without giving the Bills whatever trade compensation is required.

It will be hard to find a partner.

However, if you are interested in who these partners MIGHT conceivably be, then look no further than the teams currently hinting at interest in Terrell Owens. They are looking for a big time receiver and obviously are willing to take risks to get one which might be similar to the costs of dealing with the Bills.

My understanding is that Denver and Dallas are the two teams that have expressed interest in TO. Marv and the Bills may be hanging onto Moulds waiting to see which one TO ends up with. If this happens, the other may well be in the market for Moulds.

Denver is a player away from the SB and a quality WR may be just the thing so if the lose out on the TO derby they might jump.

Dallas is also a player away from making the playoffs potentially and word is the Keyshawn may be done with the Cowboys. Particularly given that Dallas QB Bledsoe had a successful run with Moulds (100 catches in 2002) this also might make sense.

We'll see.

Why not swap Moulds for this guy?

Cowboys | Team could save $3 million by cutting L. Allen

Sun, 12 Mar 2006 11:28:23 -0800

Clarence E. Hill Jr., of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, reports Dallas Cowboys OG Larry Allen is scheduled to count $7.5 million against the salary cap for the 2006 season. He is due a roster bonus of $2 million on April 1. The team could save $3 million in cap space by releasing him. The recent signing of OT Kyle Kosier could allow the team to release Allen.

Clarence E. Hill Jr., of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, reports Dallas Cowboys OG Larry Allen is scheduled to count $7.5 million against the salary cap for the 2006 season. He is due a roster bonus of $2 million on April 1. The team could save $3 million in cap space by releasing him. The recent signing of OT Kyle Kosier could allow the team to release Allen.

625895[/snapback]

He continues to be one of the best guards in the league.

625895[/snapback]

I think this type of a move is a real possibility as the cap $ seemed to work out for both teams, but it is certainly much more a possibility than any kind of reality or even probability because its such a multi-rail billiard shot of a bunch of things having to work out:

1. Is Keyshawn a real goner and will Dallas be in the market for an experience WR?

2. Would Allen want to move to a new team or would he simply prefer to retire.

3. Does JMac think Allen has enough left and what is his semi-long term strategy for rebuilding the OL and would Allen fit in?

I think this works capwise as we seem to have the room and even might be considering keeping Moulds at a hit of $10 mill so $7 mill for Allen actually gives us cap room and obvioussly adds experience to the OL.

Dallas does take a bit of a cap hit assuming Moulds salary so my gues is they would likely want to work out a reduction with him, but while the Bills are probably a couple of years away from the playoffs, Dallas was on the doorstep last year and reuniting Bledsoe and Moulds may help put them over the top since I think Moulds would be a clear upgrade over Keyshawn.

Could be we'll see.

It's virtually impossible to trade Moulds. In order to trade Moulds, you would have to find a team that is willing to give up a draft choice or player just to have the luxury of paying Eric Moulds 7 million this season and 7 million next season in cash and on your cap for his salary/roster bonus.

It's virtually impossible to trade Moulds. In order to trade Moulds, you would have to find a team that is willing to give up a draft choice or player just to have the luxury of paying Eric Moulds 7 million this season and 7 million next season in cash and on your cap for his salary/roster bonus.

625998[/snapback]

I agree - the 'tyranny of the numbers' makes a trade extremely difficult, thus very unlikely, but nothing's impossible.

That said, I continue my mantra - Moulds will be in a Buffalo uniform this Fall.

625998[/snapback]

Excellent points.

Which begs the question: If nobody else is willing to take on a 33 yr old WR with a monster contract , then why are the Bills keeping him (so far)?

It doesn't make sense to keep him IMHO.

625998[/snapback]

This is why the ojly potential trade partners I can see would be teams which are interested in TO but lose out on getting him when he hits FA. By definition they are teams which see a need for a proven WR (which I think Moulds is for the few short years til he hangs em up) and they have already shown a certain psychotic tendency because they would even consider bringing TO in,

The only way we find a trade partner is if the team sees WR as the key to producing next year and they are stupid enough to take the penalties that Moulds brings with him to get this ring.

Excellent points.

Which begs the question: If nobody else is willing to take on a 33 yr old WR with a monster contract , then why are the Bills keeping him (so far)?

626018[/snapback]

Eric could work a deal with another team before he gets traded and take a pay cut if he would agree to it. I bet he would do that to play with the Eagles or another team that is close to going to the SB.

Eric could work a deal with another team before he gets traded and take a pay cut if he would agree to it. I bet he would do that to play with the Eagles or another team that is close to going to the SB.

626109[/snapback]

That's the only real chance for a trade I see, too. EM agrees to a restructure for a team he wants to play for and who needs/wants him.

If not, and you're the Bills you WAIT. If a better deal with another WR in FA can be made, you cut EM for the $ and make the deal. But, if you aren't going to get the WRs you target, and you have the cap room, you keep EM.

Excellent points.

626018[/snapback]

I think that the answer is that the Bills have to eat his cap space if he is cut. As you point out, the odds of a trade are slim indeed.

The jests were in a similar situation with Pennington. The difference was that Pennington took a large pay cut to stay with the team, whereas Moulds refused.

I wouldn't mind seeing him cut after 6/1. There will be less of a market for him, and our dead cap number would be smaller this year. Who knows, sometimes players can be picked up after 6/1.

This would not be considered a kind thing to do to Moulds, but his quitting against the dolphins wasn't so nice either.

I guess sometimes business is business.