(OT) What did you go to school for?

Tux of Borg

Question for all... what did you go to college for, and are you using that degree in your line or work right now? After I got off of active duty I went to school for electronics and web programing. I worked in that field for a little while but left to pursue a degree in computer forensics. Now that I am finishing that up, I'm debating on going to grad school for counter intelligence. I'm hesitant because its such a big financial commitment.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i have an econ degree, wish it was a marketing degree, worked for 15 years in direct marketing, now am working retail, at circuit city as a grunt!(and loving it by the way....)

45534[/snapback]

When is Circut City coming to Watertown?

Got my BS in CS and am using it in my job as a Sysadmin. However, I'd say that the best thing I learned with my degree is how to learn on my own.

Where'd you learn computer forensics? I've been trying to get my company to send me to a SANS conference to cover that very topic.

CW

Got my AS Degree in Turfgrass Management from SUNY Cobleskill and have been a Golf course Superintendent for 8 years now. Been fortunate enough to be able to build and oversee two courses here in O town and wouldn't want to be doing anything else except taking care of Yankee Stadium!!! Consider myself fortunate to do what I went to school for and enjoy everyday of it !!!

Undergraduate degree - BA Liberal Arts-Applied music - Nope

Graduate degree - M. Div. (Master of Divinity) - Yup (I pastor a church)

I have three brothers and a sister. Only the sister's career is in the field where her degree lies (Special education)

Older brother - BS in education (history) - work crew supervisor for developmentally disabled adults and rock musician.

Next younger brother - BS Music Education - Vice president of operations for a small independent natural gas and oil company in NW Pennsylvania (When he couldn't find a job teaching music he got a second bachelors degree, this one in petroleum technology.

Youngest brother - MD - Editor (albeit in the medical field) This is a second career for him. He has been a professor/instructor at three different medical schools, most recently in Hershey, Pennsylvania where he was the assistant department head in internal medicine.

I graduated summa cum laude from Temple University (Philly) with a BA in psych.....was offered a full ride + stipend to contiunue on and pursue a comined MA/PhD, but ended up heading off to Emory University (here in Atlanta) to complete my BSN (nursing). I loved psych, but realized that the opportunity as an RN today is just amazing (and the money in psychology is not all that great). I cleared 70k last year, have excellent job stability, and can basically work anywhere in the country in just about any area of medicine I choose. I'm not saying that to brag, but to rather encourage other people to take a look at the profession.....there is a pretty severe shortage of RNs, and nursing school enrollments are down.

I majored in journalism, thinking I wanted to be a sports writer or a sports broadcaster. I did both for the first nine years after I graduated, but haven't done either the last three years. I'm still working in sports and loving my job though.

BS in Chemical Engineering from UB in 2002...joined this board in 1999 i think hence the collegeguy moniker

MS in Chemical Engineering from UR in 2004

PhD in Chemical Engineering at UR est. finish in 2006...PhD research done in the biomedical engineering field...what I'm going to do with it after I graduate is currently beyond me...maybe I'll reconsider the medical school option and spend some more time in school since there doesn't appear to be any work in the biomedical/chemical engineering field in WNY...otherwise, I'll have to leave the area

I have an associates degree in office systems management. Then realized that not too many employers have heard of an associates degree. So I decided to go for a Bachelors of Science degree in Business Management. Seeking to graduate at some point in 2007.

What I would like to accomplish with this is obtain a supervisor position in the future.