Need vs. Best Player

The Bills are realistically two years away from being a playoff threat, so it's not like the most gaping holes need to be filled this year. Take the whole debate between Ngata and Davis. Yes, DT is a bigger need. So let's say the Bills took Ngata instead of Davis, and let's say with Ngata's help they went 7-9 instead of 6-10. Would an extra win in a non-playoff year really be worth abandoning a superstar TE to get a reasonably solid DT? I don't think so.

At some point, the DT position will have to be addressed, as will the OL. As long as both lines are ready to go for the 2007 season, I'll be happy. But it's important to think with a 2 - 3 year horizon here, and to think in terms of player upgrades.

The way I think about the situation is like this: start off by imaging the Bills don't have a 1st round pick this year. Now imagine them building their roster as best they can to be ready for opening day of 2007. Let's say they've used their 2nd - 4th round picks in this year's draft on the OL, and have used their first two picks in the 2007 draft on DL. So the team's in reasonably good shape.

Now add the Bills' first round pick of 2006 into the mix. You can use it to take Davis, to give the hypothetical 2007 team an upgrade at TE. Or you can use it on Ngata, to give the 2007 team an upgrade at DT, while freeing up a 2007 draft pick for some other position. Which action would upgrade the 2007 team the most? Once you've answered that question, you know what to do with your pick.

Why not?  Because anchoring one of the best lines in college football for one of the best offense's in college football history over the past few years isn't good enough credentials?  Because Mel Kiper said so?

If Marv thinks that Winston Justice is going to be a Pro Bowl Tackle in the NFL you better believe that he is worth the #8 pick no matter what Mel Kiper thinks.....

JDG

620344[/snapback]

the last right tackle we took in the top 10 worked out real well from a cost / production standpoint.

it costs too much to take a RT that high.

you need to get a playmaker for what it will cost at #8.

The only thing we really know is this:

Whomever gets picked, there is going to be a yet undetermined group of Bills fans who say it was the right pick and the best pick. Then there is going to be a significantly larger group of Bills fans who :

a- wonder "WTF did they do that? when Mel Kiper has said otherwise.

b- claim that the player picked was not a need pick but should have been.

c- Claim that the player picked was not the best player available but should have been.

Last, there will be a small group who aren't sure what to make of the pick and will look at the big picture closer to the beginning of the season when all Free agent moves, draft picks and transactions have been made.

You never know which group you're gonna end up in :w00t:

Why not?  Because anchoring one of the best lines in college football for one of the best offense's in college football history over the past few years isn't good enough credentials?  Because Mel Kiper said so?

If Marv thinks that Winston Justice is going to be a Pro Bowl Tackle in the NFL you better believe that he is worth the #8 pick no matter what Mel Kiper thinks.....

JDG

620344[/snapback]

Justice wasn't even playing football in 2003, I believe he was suspended for threatening a student with a gun.

We have two third round picks at DT on the roster.

It doesn't matter,  though.  Of Edwards,  Anderson and Everett,  none of the three have established themselves as starters at their positions.  Everett hasn't even played and is coming off major injury.

620231[/snapback]

Actually we only have one 3rd Round DT on the roster, Tim Anderson, as Edwards is due to be an UFA.

i understand the war drumming for DT and OT, but shokey and gates transformed young QBs (or just an inconsistent one in shock's first year) and OK Os into match up problems and red zone machines.

if we can get ourselves some linemen in FA and in rounds 2 and 3, davis could well be the piece that puts us over the top.

with parish, evans, mcgahee and davis we might have a legitimate set of targets that can do damage in the NFL

I'm going to go in two different directions at the same time in this response......I'm glad Donahoe is gone but didn't we all get on him for not picking big guys in the draft and taking arrogant skill picks as opposed to drafting true needs. That being said, I'm all for taking Davis over Ngata......hypothetical, if Antonio Gates and say Richard Seymour or Marcus Stroud were available who would you go with...I'd take Gates every time.

Factor in that we just let Sam Adams go and we would be looking at an unmitigated disaster next year if we do not upgrade the defensive line. We are four players away from a playoff team and through the draft and free agency we can get those four (2 DT's, an Offensive Tackle and Gaurd and perhaps a tight end.) It is still tending to the knitting and going for Ngata.

We are four players away from a playoff team and through the draft and free agency we can get those four (2 DT's, an Offensive Tackle and Gaurd and perhaps a tight end.)

621039[/snapback]

We need a lot more than that. Who's our SS going to be? Is Troy Vincent really the answer at FS? What if Preston doesn't work out at C, or Losman doesn't work out at QB? Where is our elite DE that great defenses tend to have? Who will replace Moulds if or when he's cut?

You say we only need one guard. Who's the guard we have right now that you want to keep?

We need a lot more than that. Who's our SS going to be? Is Troy Vincent really the answer at FS? What if Preston doesn't work out at C, or Losman doesn't work out at QB? Where is our elite DE that great defenses tend to have? Who will replace Moulds if or when he's cut?

You say we only need one guard. Who's the guard we have right now that you want to keep?

621063[/snapback]

SS? Lawyer Milloy

Vincent the answer? Yes

Preston will work out @ C

Losman will work out @ QB

Our elite DE that great defenses tend to have? Schobel and Denney/Kelsay

Replace Moulds? Roscoe Parrish

621063[/snapback]

I agree with Mr. Rich on the above. If we get those four positions we can be a playoff team with ONE caveat. JP Losman has to work out. I think he will. If I had a fifth position that could be addressed I would actually go for a tight end. You can't plan a playoff team for three yers down the road. You have free agencies, many injuries, unexpected retirements, and people just plain getting too old to be effective. Play the season in front of you, and getting help at your four weakest positions is the way to go.

SS?  Lawyer Milloy

Vincent the answer?  Yes

Preston will work out @ C

Losman will work out @ QB

Our elite DE that great defenses tend to have?  Schobel and Denney/Kelsay

Replace Moulds?  Roscoe Parrish

621068[/snapback]

I disagree with you about Losman, Vincent, and the DEs. But even if I'm wrong about all that, Lawyer Milloy is no longer on the roster:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/p...RTS03/603020380

Gotta be best player available every damn time. You need FOOTBALL players, regardless of positon in this league. It just doesn't matter if you have a real good player already in place in a position, if there is a can't miss blue chipper available you jump on him. Can't go wrong with best player available. You can go wrong when reaching for a need. Now, if it so happens that the two shall meet, all the better.

GO BILLS!!!

620307[/snapback]

How does your wife feel if she gives you five bucks to go to the store and get baby formula and you come home with Heineken? Or she needs milk and butter but you found "a really lean steak".