Vernon Davis is the only choice

marck

What are those multi-dimensions? I can't name another club that thinks that is a feature..

620580[/snapback]

Most clubs don't have one TE who can run fast, I don't know of any who have two. Davis and Everett, if he recovers, can. Each TE could either stay and block, release like a slot receiver or motion out into a 3 or 4 WR set. If one is any good as an H-back, he could go in motion prior to the snap and serve as a FB as well. Instead of a double TE set always stating "run", it could instead state "run or pass". This is what makes it multi-dimensional. If you run this in a hurry up, it gives the offense great flexibility whilst freezing the defense in a single personnel configuration.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Moves will be made on the offensive lines and defensive lines during free agency.

620199[/snapback]

Good point. That IS the way to go. There are always free agent offensive linemen out there because teams tend to not place a high value upon them.

We have done exceedingly well while going this route. We owe our success to FAs such as Kris Farris, Joe Panos, and Bennie Anderson.

No need to draft them early. Why not wait until later rounds and usher in the likes of Jamie Nails, Marcus Spriggs, Dylan McFarland, Ben Sobieski, Mike Pucillo, and other solid players that are there at our fingertips? That works, right?

The above is why we should go for skill players often and early. It might even make sense to trade up for a receiver, TE, or perhaps another QB.

Good point. That IS the way to go. There are always free agent offensive linemen out there because teams tend to not place a high value upon them.

We have done exceedingly well while going this route. We owe our success to FAs such as Kris Farris, Joe Panos, and Bennie Anderson.

No need to draft them early. Why not wait until later rounds and usher in the likes of Jamie Nails, Marcus Spriggs,  Dylan McFarland, Ben Sobieski, Mike Pucillo, and other solid players that are there at our fingertips? That works, right?

The above is why we should go for skill players often and early. It might even make sense to trade up for a receiver, TE, or perhaps another QB.

620600[/snapback]

If D'Brick is there at 8, the Bills should take him. If he's not, who would have the greatest impact outside of him? I'd say Davis, especially since Ngata is not the type of DT the Bills are looking for.

... it seems that a dominant, impact DT takes a year or two to develop ... outside of Richard Seymour, I can't think of a DT that has had an impact in his first season ... if Vernon Davis is as good as they say, I say draft him and sign a guy like Ted Washington for your DT ... sounds kinda like the Chargers when they drafted Kellen Winslow when they needed defence ...

I am on the Davis band wagon as well, I like Ngata, and I love Mario, however I feel we could get the biggest impact from Davis, if he (like williams and Ngata) live up to the hype, he might be a once in a lifetime type player.

He creates match up problems we've never seen before, and if we release Moulds we need a player that can catch the ten yard quick outs.

As far as blocking, he makes a difference because you have to respect his speed, and his size. a team can't send a blitz package exposing Davis for a little 6 yard pass he could take the distance. and if they cover him with a corner, we run the ball. KC has made a living off of that game plan for the last couple of years.

address the lines in Free agency and in the 2nd, 3rd and so on. But get the player that may be a 10 time pro bowler (notice the may be part) in the first.

No need to draft them early. Why not wait until later rounds and usher in the likes of Jamie Nails, Marcus Spriggs,  Dylan McFarland, Ben Sobieski, Mike Pucillo, and other solid players that are there at our fingertips? That works, right?

620600[/snapback]

:w00t: .

Yes, there are 32 teams in the NFL, and many more than just the Bills who have holes along both lines. By my count, we have holes at both DT spots, one DE spot, one tackle spot, and probably LG and C as well. That's up to two-thirds of the starting positions along the lines! Sorry marck, but just because we want free agent linemen doesn't mean we'll get them.

Also, your theory that a star TE is some sort of requirement for a top NFL offense is ridiculous. There are many proven variations among all the great modern offenses, but one constant throughout has been a very solid (if not dominant) offensive line.

EDIT: I will say this, though: If Da Brick, Super Mario, and Ngata are all gone by our 8th pick (and if we can't trade down), then Davis would be my next favorite choice.

If D'Brick is there at 8, the Bills should take him. If he's not, who would have the greatest impact outside of him? I'd say Davis, especially since Ngata is not the type of DT the Bills are looking for.

620603[/snapback]

My understanding of Ngata is that many scouts consider him to be capable or playing either 2-gap or 1-gap.

Am I wrong?

My understanding of Ngata is that many scouts consider him to be capable or playing either 2-gap or 1-gap.

Am I wrong?

620622[/snapback]

My understanding of Ngata is that he weighs 345 and has a fairly recent history of a horrible knee injury.

I have never wanted to trade down in any draft, but this one seems to be the perfect fit, especially if one of the qbs fall to us. We could demand a steep price instead of getting raped as we did with the Losman deal.

We need an impact player....period. I don't care if it's Davis, Ngata, Williams, Huff, etc, etc...We need a difference maker, and he needs to be making that difference from day one.

620200[/snapback]

It wont be from day 1....rookies take time to develop.

If the Bills draft another skill position in the first round, they'll be a siege of RWS and Levy will be carried off to the old folks home. No way in hell should they draft a TE with the 8th pick when they have so many other holes to fill on the lines.

All of this talk about how we can't pass on Vernon Davis is getting me queasy. About a month ago, few if any advocated Davis as our first round pick. Now, with the great "numbers" at the combine, many are jumping on his bandwagon.

The last time we took a TE in the first round was 1983. His name was the immortal Tony Hunter out of Notre Dame. He was picked with the first of our two first rounders. . . before Jim Kelly! (I think Hunter went #12, and Kelly #14, if memory serves) Hunter turned out to be a tremendous bust.

I'm not saying that Davis will be a bust (although it is possible), but in our offense, he just would not be able to make enough of an impact for a #8 pick. Tight Ends are a luxury to most offenses. We can't afford this luxury right now.

Bottom line: I'd rather pick my nose than have the Bills pick Davis.

We do not need a pass catching , non-blocking TE. We already have Euhus and Everett that fill this roll. We just got rid of Campbell, who also fit the bill. Campbell was let go because Everett is ready to play. Guys our line sucks over all. We need bodies up front and if we get another TE it will be someone who can help the tackles block on the edge, and help with blitz and stunt support.

We do not need a pass catching , non-blocking TE.  We already have Euhus and Everett that fill this roll.  We just got rid of Campbell, who also fit the bill.  Campbell was let go because Everett is ready to play.  Guys our line sucks over all.  We need bodies up front and if we get another TE it will be someone who can help the tackles block on the edge, and help with blitz and stunt support.

620703[/snapback]

davis can block well.

a good TE will be a safety valve for a young QB and allow him to make more plays and keep drives alive.

if it helps us run and pass without guys guessing what we are doing, our D stays off the gridiron, our whole team improves.

we need some line help, but a top 4 or so DT in the 2nd, some FA help, and some OL in the draft along with davis might just be the best choice

davis can block well.

a good TE will be a safety valve for a young QB and allow him to make more plays and keep drives alive.

if it helps us run and pass without guys guessing what we are doing, our D stays off the gridiron, our whole team improves.

we need some line help, but a top 4 or so DT in the 2nd, some FA help, and some OL in the draft along with davis might just be the best choice

620710[/snapback]

I agree with your concept, but your first statement is wrong. I work with a lot of Maryland fans and Alum, and even they say he won't/can't block.

FYI:

Strengths: A dynamic athlete. Has rare speed and athletic ability for his size. Shows explosive initial burst to get off the LOS and the top-end speed to stretch the field vertically. He will be a matchup weapon as a pass-catcher in the NFL. Shows a good feel for reading coverages. Is remarkably savvy in terms of setting up defenders in man-coverage and finding soft spots in zone. He shows burst out of his cuts and will consistently separate in one-on-one situations. He has terrific leaping ability and will make the acrobatic catch. He has soft and reliable hands. Shows upper body strength and power at the POA as a blocker. He continues to improve his technique and angles as a space blocker. He also is a workout warrior who set school strength records (in spring of 2005) for a TE in the bench press (460 pounds), power-clean (335 pounds), vertical jump (40 inches), squat (685 pounds) and 40-yard dash (4.41)

Weaknesses: Possesses below average height and speed. Is powerful but lacks a wide base to anchor as a blocker. Needs to improve his hand-usage, angles and overall technique as a blocker. May never develop into anything more than an H-back that needs to be protected as a blocker in space in the NFL.

Overall: Davis played in all 13 games as a reserve during his true freshman season in 2003, and finished with five catches for 59 yards. He started six of the 11 games he played as a sophomore in 2004, finishing with 27 receptions for 441 yards and three touchdowns. Through eight games as a junior in 2005, Davis led the Terps with 32 catches for 592 yards with three touchdowns. Davis is one of the best pure athletes at the tight end position in college football right now. He lacks ideal size and has much room to improve as a blocker, but his overall combination of physical tools and playmaking savvy are hard to ignore. He has not made a decision regarding his future, but we are hearing that Davis is leaning heavily towards leaving school early in order to make himself available for the 2006 NFL draft. If that is the case, and if he verifies his exceptional natural tools in post-season workouts, Davis could emerge as a mid-first round draft pick.

Weaknesses: Possesses below average height and speed./b]

620716[/snapback]

Whatever report you are reading is OUTDATED! He sure showed his below average speed by recording the fastest time for a TE in the history of the NFL Combine :w00t:

If D'Brickashaw Ferguson or Mario Williams is there; you have to take one of them. But if they aren't (and they won't be), Vernon Davis is the selection if you have the chance to pick him.

Far and away he would be the better choice between him and Haloti "I show up when I want to and am a 1,000,000 and a half lbs." Ngata.

Whatever report you are reading is OUTDATED! He sure showed his below average speed by recording the fastest time for a TE in the history of the NFL Combine  :w00t:

If D'Brickashaw Ferguson or Mario Williams is there; you have to take one of them. But if they aren't (and they won't be), Vernon Davis is the selection if you have the chance to pick him.

Far and away he would be the better choice between him and Haloti "I show up when I want to and am a 1,000,000 and a half lbs." Ngata.

620733[/snapback]

With no blocking skills, he is better listed with the WR's or even RB's (under HBack). His 4.39 is fast but again that is on a fast indy turf, and only puts him in the top with several folks faster then him.

620600[/snapback]

Well, if D'Brick is gone when the Bills pick (and he will be), then you are right - Davis is definitely the way to go. Guy's a stud, and I can definitely see a 2-TE set w/McGahee in the backfield, or 5 receivers, maybe even the K-Gun - lots of options for JP to chose from.

But why that motley crew of FAs you mention? If you wanted to name some successful past Bills' FA aquisitions, some better examples might be Ted Washington, Jim Jeffcoat, Bryce Paup, or even Sam Adams.

Likewise, if you wanted to point out that, in the past, the Bills have found talented linemen beyond the first round, there are guys like Phil Hansen (2nd round - 12th defensive lineman taken that year), or Glen Parker (3rd round), or Leon Seals (4th rd), or Jeff Wright (8th), or maybe even Howard Ballard (???).

So I'm not too worried about taking Davis in the first round - or any skill position player, if it benefits the team - 'cause there'll be talented players available in later rounds and through free agency - in Marv, we trust.

But otherwise I agree with you - a TE like Davis would be a great pick for Buffalo (again, if Ferguson is gone) - but I think we'll be lucky and will get him without having to trade up.

The little I've seen of Davis he impresses me, but there really has to be a significant gap in talent between him and other people on the board in our scouts' eyes to pick a TE at #8. I'd much rather have Davis than Ngata, who I've thought was overrated since the first time I saw him play.

Can't we send this hype to Al Davis? He loves speed, and picks ahead of us. If he fixates on Davis the way some people are, he could let someone else slide by.

Three QBs, Bush, Brick, Vernon Davis, and Hawk are seven picks, and that would force Mario Williams to us. I know Super Mario's stock has risen, but if those seven guys (or Ngata or others) pick before the Bills we could end up with the guy we want. I would even trade up for Mario if the cost isn't too great.

I want two things from this draft:

1) Getting the most talented players for the next five years

2) Addressing the lines

If we can do both great (Brick, Mario), but I think 1) is just barely more important than 2), especially in the first round, so if Davis is better than other guys there I can live with it.

FYI:

Strengths: A dynamic athlete. Has rare speed and athletic ability for his size. Shows explosive initial burst to get off the LOS and the top-end speed to stretch the field vertically. He will be a matchup weapon as a pass-catcher in the NFL. Shows a good feel for reading coverages. Is remarkably savvy in terms of setting up defenders in man-coverage and finding soft spots in zone. He shows burst out of his cuts and will consistently separate in one-on-one situations. He has terrific leaping ability and will make the acrobatic catch. He has soft and reliable hands. Shows upper body strength and power at the POA as a blocker. He continues to improve his technique and angles as a space blocker. He also is a workout warrior who set school strength records (in spring of 2005) for a TE in the bench press (460 pounds), power-clean (335 pounds), vertical jump (40 inches), squat (685 pounds) and 40-yard dash (4.41)

Weaknesses: Possesses below average height and speed. Is powerful but lacks a wide base to anchor as a blocker. Needs to improve his hand-usage, angles and overall technique as a blocker. May never develop into anything more than an H-back that needs to be protected as a blocker in space in the NFL.

Overall: Davis played in all 13 games as a reserve during his true freshman season in 2003, and finished with five catches for 59 yards. He started six of the 11 games he played as a sophomore in 2004, finishing with 27 receptions for 441 yards and three touchdowns. Through eight games as a junior in 2005, Davis led the Terps with 32 catches for 592 yards with three touchdowns. Davis is one of the best pure athletes at the tight end position in college football right now. He lacks ideal size and has much room to improve as a blocker, but his overall combination of physical tools and playmaking savvy are hard to ignore. He has not made a decision regarding his future, but we are hearing that Davis is leaning heavily towards leaving school early in order to make himself available for the 2006 NFL draft. If that is the case, and if he verifies his exceptional natural tools in post-season workouts, Davis could emerge as a mid-first round draft pick.

620716[/snapback]

Since I have seen little of Davis in actual games I am far from an expert, however I do not think I can put much faith into an evaluation by someone who contradicts himself in the first sentences of both his strengths and weaknesses.

That being said, unless we go balls to the wall in FA addressing both of our lines, I do not think that Davis is a luxury we can afford.