Anyone ever live on a boat?

BB27

My wife and I are challenged by the real estate market here in Boston, in that even though we make good money, we cannot afford to buy a house we would want to live in here in the Boston area.

I have owned sailboats my entire life, the last 4 years have been the first time I haven't had a boat. Recently we went to a boat show, and my wife (GASP) actually said to me, lets buy a decent sized sailboat and live on it 8 months of the year. I have always wanted to live on a sailboat, but never really gave it a lot of consideration. We have an offer to move in with my wifes grandparents (late 80's) who we help out a lot. We would have to fix up their house a bit, and then finish the upstairs. The great side of this is that we could conceivably borrow the money to do the work on the house (great location), and also have enough to buy the boat (used).

Am I insane? My wife made me join a sailing club over the weekend so she could learn to sail officially. My mind is spinning with this idea...

Am I crazy to be even thinking this?

My wife and I are challenged by the real estate market here in Boston, in that even though we make good money, we cannot afford to buy a house we would want to live in here in the Boston area.

I have owned sailboats my entire life, the last 4 years have been the first time I haven't had a boat.  Recently we went to a boat show, and my wife (GASP) actually said to me, lets buy a decent sized sailboat and live on it 8 months of the year.  I have always wanted to live on a sailboat, but never really gave it a lot of consideration.  We have an offer to move in with my wifes grandparents (late 80's) who we help out a lot.  We would have to fix up their house a bit, and then finish the upstairs.  The great side of this is that we could conceivably borrow the money to do the work on the house (great location), and also have enough to buy the boat (used). 

Am I insane?  My wife made me join a sailing club over the weekend so she could learn to sail officially.  My mind is spinning with this idea...

619218[/snapback]

Sounds nice - but would still you be around to help those nice older ones? That's the more important thing...

On another tack...

An old friend of mine lives on a boat in the Gulf of Mexico. When I lived in the Pittsburgh area, I knew of folks that lived on boats in the Allegheny River.

Independence, my foot. It was about avoiding school and property taxes.! :doh:

it would be awfully cold on a boat in boston, no matter what 8 months you chose, regardless, take the opportunity to live with the grandparents. I lived with my gramma a few years ago while i was working in buffalo and my family was here in richmond, what a treat to be able to spend that kind of valuable time with her.

I have owned sailboats my entire life, the last 4 years have been the first time I haven't had a boat.  Recently we went to a boat show, and my wife (GASP) actually said to me, lets buy a decent sized sailboat and live on it 8 months of the year.  I have always wanted to live on a sailboat, but never really gave it a lot of consideration.  We have an offer to move in with my wifes grandparents (late 80's) who we help out a lot.  We would have to fix up their house a bit, and then finish the upstairs.  The great side of this is that we could conceivably borrow the money to do the work on the house (great location), and also have enough to buy the boat (used). 

Am I insane?  My wife made me join a sailing club over the weekend so she could learn to sail officially.  My mind is spinning with this idea...

619218[/snapback]

We are going to do the Grandparents thing. The boat would be a vacation home of sorts.

April through end of October is real nice here in Boston weatherwise, so call it 7 months.

We are going to do the Grandparents thing.  The boat would be a vacation home of sorts.

April through end of October is real nice here in Boston weatherwise, so call it 7 months.

619244[/snapback]

Go for it! You'll probably regret it if you don't.

We are going to do the Grandparents thing.  The boat would be a vacation home of sorts.

619244[/snapback]

Good man.

You will be out in the open, more or less. Be sure to get a navalized shotgun. Here is Mossburg's Mariner model - available for a lot less than list price through any seller.

http://www.mossberg.com/pcatalog/Specpurp.htm

Being in the San Francisco real estate market, I can definitely understand the temptation. I haven't lived on a boat myself, but I've known a bunch of people here in the Bay Area who have. I wouldn't say you're "insane" to be considering it, but from my friends' experiences, I'd advise a hearty amount of caution. Even on a large sailboat, the living quarters are small, even relative to small apartments. This could put a lot of strain on the relationship between you and your wife, as every little annoyance is amplified by way of proximity. Also, one woman I knew who was a boat-dweller always smelled awful, because she was a smoker who lived with another smoker and a dog. I mean, she smelled *disgusting* all the time. Lastly, be aware of what your "neighbors" down at the harbor might be like. At least here in the Bay Area, a lot of boat-dwellers are unemployed antisocial misfits with drinking problems. Boat living may seem like an independent way to go, but you'll probably wind up moored closely between two boats, whose residents could really influence your quality of life.

Good luck!

619244[/snapback]

Sounds like a good plan, just don't watch cold pizza, I hear it leads to strange urges.

Our plan doesn't include a dock....that's what achors are for.  You can hook up to a mooring in the UVI for as little as $25 per night.  And as far as the winter....what's that?   :doh:

619399[/snapback]

sounds like lots of fun , nude swiming

619218[/snapback]

Who are you, Sunny Crocket?