Owners vote to break off talks

scribo

Link

NFL owners voted unanimously Thursday to break off talks with the players' union on a contract extension, leaving the current salary cap in place with the start of free agency looming -- and possibly forcing the mass dumping of veterans.

The owners, who met for 57 minutes Thursday morning, endorsed a recommendation by their management council executive committee to reject the union's latest proposal.

NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue was expected to have a news conference later Thursday morning.

That leaves the salary cap at 94.5 million.

Again, I thought the NFL was IMMUNE to all of this...the league is PERFECT....can never be like the other sports....oh yeah, they are all greedy too!  :doh:  :huh:

616300[/snapback]

I liked that one quote from an Owner talking about "beheading the Golden Goose," or something like that...

I'm actually a bit surprised the Players are this solid behind Upshaw...Because this is going to really kill some Vets' earnings...The thing that seems to be obvious here (correct me if I'm wrong) is that many good Vets are going to be Cut and Teams will have little more than the Vet minimum to offer...Most of the top UFA's will likely be gobbled up in a day or two after Free Agency starts, and the money will be gone quick...I guess there will be a slew of 1 year Contracts for 2006, then who knows in 2007... :lol:

hmm

if we have an uncapped year in 07 do you think ralph might just decide to spend some money to finally win it all and dump a ton of cash in FA?

we spent a lot of money before the cap was in place back in the early 90s, if he really wants to win it all he might jus buy a trophy...

This whole thing could really change the playoff races next year.

This must be very nerve-wrecking for every GM. It seems that the teams with the most creative front offices will be the big winners.

This whole thing could really change the playoff races next year.

This must be very nerve-wrecking for every GM. It seems that the teams with the most creative front offices will be the big winners.

616321[/snapback]

Minus the ones well over the cap.

Somewhere out there on an interstate ramp, is a guy with a cardboard sign that says "Will pass block for food".

I mean besides Mike Williams.

Minus the ones well over the cap.

616326[/snapback]

I think that even they must be nervous. There is going to be some real bargins to be had with the low cap. A GM with a lot of room must be very leary of overpaying someone and ending up in the loser column in the end. Every GM needs to watch his pennies now. The one sure thing in all this is that there will be huge winners and huge losers, and we may be surprised who ends up in which column.

Comtemplate this: the owners DO have a plan and are trying last minute to force the players hand to agree to the new deal under the owners terms.

Owners are saying 56%, players are saying 60%. The players wont budge. By the owners "not agreeing" they are telling the players "agree or be cut and make no more than the vet minimum"

This might be a conspiracy theory, but who knows

Comtemplate this: the owners DO have a plan and are trying last minute to force the players hand to agree to the new deal under the owners terms.

Owners are saying 56%, players are saying 60%. The players wont budge. By the owners "not agreeing" they are telling the players "agree or be cut and make no more than the vet minimum"

616336[/snapback]

I think that makes sense, but it looks as if it is too late now.

616336[/snapback]

Collusion? Naaaa....... ;)

616336[/snapback]

The only risk for the player is if he gets hurt this year. Otherwise, there will be no cap in '07 and the Snyder's and Jones' of the league will be throwing enough money at them to make up for it.