Owners vote to break off talks

scribo

hmm

if we have an uncapped year in 07 do you think ralph might just decide to spend some money to finally win it all and dump a ton of cash in FA?

we spent a lot of money before the cap was in place back in the early 90s, if he really wants to win it all he might jus buy a trophy...

616313[/snapback]

Its not like Ralph Wilson has unlimted money. And remember, the Bills were in the bottom-half of the League in revenues last season. The Washington Redskins take in about $100 million more money _each year_, *after revenue sharing*, than the Bills. Ralph Wilson won't be able to compete with that year-in and year-out.

JDG

Its not like Ralph Wilson has unlimted money.  And remember, the Bills were in the bottom-half of the League in revenues last season.  The Washington Redskins take in about $100 million more money _each year_, *after revenue sharing*, than the Bills.    Ralph Wilson won't be able to compete with that year-in and year-out.

JDG

616402[/snapback]

Well, seeing as he's 87, he just might be able to. But, your point is taken. ;)

I liked that one quote from an Owner talking about "beheading the Golden Goose," or something like that...

I'm actually a bit surprised the Players are this solid behind Upshaw...Because this is going to really kill some Vets' earnings...The thing that seems to be obvious here (correct me if I'm wrong) is that many good Vets are going to be Cut and Teams will have little more than the Vet minimum to offer...Most of the top UFA's will likely be gobbled up in a day or two after Free Agency starts, and the money will be gone quick...I guess there will be a slew of 1 year Contracts for 2006, then who knows in 2007... ;)

616311[/snapback]

I doubt there will be a ton of one year contracts. The problem for the players is that they bear huge amounts of injury risk that could affect their future earnings. Thus, a player wants to get as much up-front money as possible - i.e. a big signing bonus, which means signing as long a contract as possible.

Moreover, all the rules you are used to in the NFL are now changing. There is no June 1st rule this year, and contracts are a max 4 years instead of 7 years. Moreover, next year, players will need 6 years experience instead of 4 years to be eligible for unrestricted free agency. Additionally, each NFL team will have additional franchise and transition tags to use.

In other words, although next year is going to be uncapped, there will be fewer players eligible for free agency, and there will be more tags available to tag the few players that are eligible. 2007 will *not* be a bonanza for the players.

Upshaw's calculation appears to be that suffering through two bad years for the players (i.e. this year and the uncapped year of 2007) is a fair price to pay for the long-term goal of getting additional revenue sharing out of the owners, and boosting the players' share of that revenue up to 60%+.

JDG

This and all of the players who will be released todayis going to cause the NFLPA to come back to the bargaining table very quickly.

616334[/snapback]

WRONG.

The NFLPA and it members (the players) are paying for the lack or agreement today and over free agency this year due to the fact the contracts negoiated will have lower Bonuses since they can be spread out over 4 yrs.

Then next year there is no Cap (good for players) with unrestricted free agency starting at 6 yrs of service (not good for players).

WRONG.

The NFLPA and it members (the players) are paying for the lack or agreement today and over free agency this year due to the fact the contracts negoiated will have lower Bonuses since they can be spread out over 4 yrs.

Then next year there is no Cap (good for players) with unrestricted free agency starting at 6 yrs of service (not good for players).

616412[/snapback]

continued. They are taking hits but will have leverage to get what they want - more money in terms of % of revenues and lower # of yrs for UFA status.

This is not good news for the likes of the Buffalo Bills. Maybe Ralph knew what he was talking about when he said the future is NOW! 2006 might just have to be the year, because in 2007 and for the forseable future it will be the Redskins, Cowboys, Patriots and Broncos. Oh sure I'm missing a few other money teams but you know what I am saying. The Bills (read Ralph Wilson) do not have the money to compete with the likes of Snyder and Jones. This is the happiest day for the those guys, oh sure they might suck in 2006, but the after that the sky will be the limit.

Go Bills in 2006, it might be your last chance.

blast away

The best thing for the Bills is for Ralph to dig in and get as much money shared by the owners. The disparity between teams is what is pushing this, not the % to the players. This is what makes the NFL special.

If they don't play on a level playing field, it will turn into baseball. The only major difference is that players don't last as long in football and 6 years could really be someone's whole career.