LOST Episode 2.15 "Maternity Leave"

duey

Okay, I'll try to whip up a bnit more conversation:

I watched, and rewatched a bit last night, especially Kate, Libby and Claire on the beach, and Claire's fast-cut flashbacks.

In the flashbacks, most of the shots are straightforward: Alex(?) telling her to get out, Ethan giving her a shot, the ultrasound screen... but there are also shots of a silver container (canteen?) pouring out a very dark liquid. I don't know what this is, but I think we'll see it again.

My thoughts on the Others: they all have day jobs as Others where they are caretakers; primarily medical caretakers. I would not doubt that they come into the hatches from another world to do their job.

If I had to guess given the info available, I'd say that they live in the future on an Earth where people do not age, at least as fast as now, but whatever has given them this "gift" has also taken away their ability to reproduce. My guess is that much of the Earth's population died from illness when this breakthrough came out, though the illness takes a long time to show itself (thus the need for quarantine).

I think because it's the future, they have some new discoveries tht allow them to:

1) be invisible if they cover themselves with a gel-like substance (that Walt wipes off to be seen) 2) observe the crash surivors 3) open a wormhole to the past to collect more people ..or do they just care about the babies and fertile women, or maybe the men are needed to risk getting that close to them to provide more babies?

Other notes: it does not seems like everyone has hallucinated (or manifested stuff from their past) on the island: Jack and Kate have, but Sawyer and Hurley have not ever, right?

Crud, the more I think about it, the more questions I have.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had to guess given the info available, I'd say that they live in the future on an Earth where people do not age, at least as fast as now, but whatever has given them this "gift" has also taken away their ability to reproduce.  My guess is that much of the Earth's population died from illness when this breakthrough came out, though the illness takes a long time to show itself (thus the need for quarantine).

I think because it's the future, they have some new discoveries tht allow them to:

1) be invisible if they cover themselves with a gel-like substance (that Walt wipes off to be seen) 2) observe the crash surivors 3) open a wormhole to the past to collect more people ..or do they just care about the babies and fertile women, or maybe the men are needed to risk getting that close to them to provide more babies?

618401[/snapback]

Wasn't that a bad movie from the 80s? People from the future kidnapped people from airplanes in some sort of warp to repopulate the future.

Okay, I'll try to whip up a bnit more conversation:

I watched, and rewatched a bit last night, especially Kate, Libby and Claire on the beach, and Claire's fast-cut flashbacks. 

In the flashbacks, most of the shots are straightforward: Alex(?) telling her to get out, Ethan giving her a shot, the ultrasound screen... but there are also shots of a silver container (canteen?) pouring out a very dark liquid.  I don't know what this is, but I think we'll see it again.

My thoughts on the Others: they all have day jobs as Others where they are caretakers; primarily medical caretakers.  I would not doubt that they come into the hatches from another world to do their job.

If I had to guess given the info available, I'd say that they live in the future on an Earth where people do not age, at least as fast as now, but whatever has given them this "gift" has also taken away their ability to reproduce.  My guess is that much of the Earth's population died from illness when this breakthrough came out, though the illness takes a long time to show itself (thus the need for quarantine).

Other notes: it does not seems like everyone has hallucinated (or manifested stuff from their past) on the island: Jack and Kate have, but Sawyer and Hurley have not ever, right?

Crud, the more I think about it, the more questions I have.

618401[/snapback]

Dude, you are thinking about this too much. Can you even enjoy the show while all these theories are racing through your head? I take most of it at face value and let the chips fall where they may.

p.s. Did you view the beach scene frame by frame to "examine" the "frames"?

Dude, you are thinking about this too much.  Can you even enjoy the show while all these theories are racing through your head?  I take most of it at face value and let the chips fall where they may. 

p.s.  Did you view the beach scene frame by frame to "examine" the "frames"?

618437[/snapback]

I think a large part of what I (and others) enjoy is trying to "connect the dots." I tend to be rather left-brained and enjoy looking for best-fit explanations that tie together as many mysteries as possible.

So, without thinking too much, what do you think is going on?

Or are you saying (your "chips fall where they may" comment) you are content just taking in all the pretty colors coming from the TV without attempting to understand what they mean? I have to admit that was my mindset with the beach scene... :huh:

But, if it were a Matrix-like experiment, I don't see why 'Zeke'/Mr. Friendly would have confronted Ethan in the hallway, which gave Claire pause with what he said/how he said it. Also, they would know about (who we're lead to be is) Alex letting Claire go.

618383[/snapback]

Ah, given that I subscribe to the matrix-group therapy theory this is easily explained. Claire was taken out of the experiment, i.e awakened from the matrix. The experiment could be happening on an actual island, explaining how Kate and Claire found the bunker Claire remebered.

Or, this is part of the sub-plot (or linear plot) of the created reality.

Even if I am wrong about all this - I do not think the plane actually crashed. I think it was simulated or created in some way. Right now, the only explanation I have that would account for this is the matric group therapy theory.

Even if I am wrong about all this - I do not think the plane actually crashed. I think it was simulated or created in some way. Right now, the only explanation  I have that would account for this  is the matric group therapy theory.

618474[/snapback]

Tell that to the guy that got sucked into the engine in the 1st epy.. :huh:

Yep. I was also wondering if the patterning on the plane was the Oceanic colors, but I couldn't see it ultra-clearly. Was hoping someone else could shed light, but I forgot to pose the question.... To me, I think that this element was there shows that the Others had a direct involvement in the crash and bringing these specific people.

618383[/snapback]

It is really helpful to go back to season 1 and watch Raised By Another again.

Raised by Another begins with a night terror/premonition by Claire. In her dream the baby has been cut out of her. She hears the baby crying and goes to look for it. She comes across Locke playing the role of the psychic. Locke tells Claire that she knows what is happening. The baby was her responsibility but she gave him away and everyone would pay the price now. She then sees someone moving through the woods and follows him. She comes across the baby carriage with the carousel. The planes on the carousel clearly had Oceanic written on the sides. There is no baby in the carriage but when she removes the blanket, she finds a bloody, gooey mess.

In flashbacks, we learn that Claire was flying to Los Angeles on the advice of a psychic who had initially warned her not to let anyone else raise the child. Later, he encouraged her to travel to Los Angeles specifically on Oceanic flight 815 claiming he'd found a "good" couple in the U.S. to adopt the baby.

Interestingly, in this latest episode, Ethan tells Claire that we are good people, we are a good family. At the end of this episode Claire has finally decided to keep the baby and let no one else raise the baby.

I'm curious if there is no real sickness but that the "vaccine" Desmond was taking and Ethan was injecting into Claire's womb is a narcotic. The infection is really withdrawal symptoms. Rousseau claimed "the others" were carriers in season 1.

But, if it were a Matrix-like experiment, I don't see why 'Zeke'/Mr. Friendly would have confronted Ethan in the hallway, which gave Claire pause with what he said/how he said it. Also, they would know about (who we're lead to be is) Alex letting Claire go.

618383[/snapback]

I can't remember the actual dialogue, but Ethan and Zeke were talking about "him". Could they be referring to one of the experiment's founders?

That could mean Zeke is not the true leader.

For a couple of bucks you can download it from itunes.

618704[/snapback]

Okay, thanks. :huh: I was hoping ABC would show it again on wednesday before the new episode like they have before. Doesn't look like it this time.

I can't remember the actual dialogue, but Ethan and Zeke were talking about "him".  Could they be referring to one of the experiment's founders?

That could mean Zeke is not the true leader.

618675[/snapback]

I've been wondering about that too. Zeke tells Ethan that he was supposed to make the list and then bring her in. Ethan tells Zeke that he didn't have any choice because they had the manifest and knew he was not on the plane.

Okay, thanks.  :huh:  I was hoping ABC would show it again on wednesday before the new episode like they have before.  Doesn't look like it this time.

618722[/snapback]

Lana, there's no new ep until 22 March, I believe. Bummer that they do this, but you just have to get used to it. I'm guessing this ep will be shown again before that.

I've been wondering about that too.  Zeke tells Ethan that he was supposed to make the list and then bring her in.  Ethan tells Zeke that he didn't have any choice because they had the manifest and knew he was not on the plane.

618759[/snapback]

Right. And I think the "him" Zeke and Ethan were talking about was the issue of what to do with Charlie. He was strung up by someone.

And, to continue with the baby theme of this whole show, apparently, the scene where Jack (and Kate) revives him is shot and acted such that it resembles a birth.

Anyone think Sun's possible child would be "special" too?

And, to continue with the baby theme of this whole show, apparently, the scene where Jack (and Kate) revives him is shot and acted such that it resembles a birth.

618791[/snapback]

I don't really agree that was the imagry they were going for. That episode, "All the Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues" was about Jack being able to save someone (Charlie) where he couldn't save the woman (and her child) in his flashback.

That scene (almost shot for shot) was lifted from Cameron's the Abyss where Ed Harris revives Mary Elizabeth MasterAntonio (longest name ever). The imagry, espcially with the noose by his head resembling a thorny crown, was much more of redemption and resurection than birth.

Just my opinion.

I don't really agree that was the imagry they were going for. That episode, "All the Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues" was about Jack being able to save someone (Charlie) where he couldn't save the woman (and her child) in his flashback.

That scene (almost shot for shot) was lifted from Cameron's the Abyss where Ed Harris revives Mary Elizabeth MasterAntonio (longest name ever). The imagry, espcially with the noose by his head resembling a thorny crown, was much more of redemption and resurection than birth.

Just my opinion.

618907[/snapback]

Not disputing that it played off of the story leading up to it. And in fact, Jack was ready to sign off on his father's version of the surgery until he heard from the panel that the woman was pregnant. I think it all melded. The resurrection for Charlie, redemption for Jack... and that Jack was finally able to save the child. In a certain way, you could see the noose as an umbilical cord.

Look at the positioning of the actors. Kate with her legs in a V, Charlie gasping and grasping like a newborn and Jack being the delivery doctor/father figure.