LOST Episode 2.15 "Maternity Leave"

duey

Wow...where is everyone?

A good episode that of course filled in some missing information...and left us with a lot more questions.

Don't have too much more to say tonight...will over up some thoughts in the morning. Now I go to bed thinking of the scene where Claire, Kate and Libby are walking on the beach. :doh:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was waiting for someone to post on this. Honestly, I think this was the best episode this season, and possibly since the first handful of the series. It was FINALLY one of those that explained as much as it brought up new questions. Also, it went by in what seemed to be 10 minutes...

What was with all the costumes? Are the others dressing up for some reason? Where did all those "doctors" go (the ones that were going to operate on Claire)? What was with Ecko at the end? And how did Locke not see right through the obvious mind game of "Why do you let the Doctor call all the shots"?

AWESOME episode. awesome.

It seemed out of character for Locke to spazz out after talking to the prisoner. It was so cliche: "Why do you let the doctor make all the decisions?"

After that transparent attempt to divide and conquer by the prisoner, Locke's character should have said "nice try". This direction seems forced (unless Locke WANTS to play this role and he and Jack are setting this whole thing up- good cop bad cop, so Locke can get info out of the prisoner...hmmm)

I was waiting for someone to post on this. Honestly, I think this was the best episode this season, and possibly since the first handful of the series. It was FINALLY one of those that explained as much as it brought up new questions.  Also, it went by in what seemed to be 10 minutes...

What was with all the costumes? Are the others dressing up for some reason? Where did all those "doctors" go (the ones that were going to operate on Claire)? What was with Ecko at the end? And how did Locke not see right through the obvious mind game of "Why do you let the Doctor call all the shots"?

AWESOME episode. awesome.

615920[/snapback]

Couple thoughts and theories to throw out there in no particular order:

1) Don't look too much into the costumes left behind. The "others" had PLENTY of time to clean house, they took everything of value and just happened to "leave" the costumes? I'm not buying...the "others" wanted the Lost-aways to find them.

2) But...the flashback with Friendly sans-beard is illuminating. It shows they HAVE been dressing up for some reason. Could it be (and this idea came from my friend but I love it) that the REASON the "others" would use costumes is because the Lost-aways would recognize the "others" from their civilian lives???

3) Eko's beard: Another theory from a friend, not sure about it, but it seemed to fit is he cut off his beard to symbolically unburden himself (two lockes of hair for the two men he killed?)

4) The ploy with Locke is very believable, sure it's cliche but remember Locke's history. He HATES being in middle managment (the box-factory and his boss all the rankor there). The prisoner KNEW that (showing me he knows who Locke is, proving he is an Other and the passengers were chosen long ago) and KNEW how to get into Locke's head.

5) When is Jack going to realize the vaccine is in their Hatch? You would think Jack, being a doctor, would have found it already...

6) The psychologist (Libby) is probably an "other".

It seemed out of character for Locke to spazz out after talking to the prisoner.  It was so cliche: "Why do you let the doctor makes all the decisions?"

After that transparent attempt to divide and conquer by the prisoner, Locke's character should have said "nice try".  This direction seems forced (unless Locke WANTS to play this role and he and Jack are setting this whole thing up- good cop bad cop, so Locke can get info out of the prisoner...hmmm)

615922[/snapback]

Don't think Locke and Jack will be good cop/bad cop with their guest, I think Locke's just got some mental baggage from life ... but of course we won't be able to find out next week because Lost is once again taking a week off for a repeat.

I agree with Stojan that was the best episode this season, but why do they have to take so many breaks with this show???

2) But...the flashback with Friendly sans-beard is illuminating. It shows they HAVE been dressing up for some reason. Could it be (and this idea came from my friend but I love it) that the REASON the "others" would use costumes is because the Lost-aways would recognize the "others" from their civilian lives???

615948[/snapback]

I guess I missed something, but who is "Friendly"?

5) When is Jack going to realize the vaccine is in their Hatch? You would think Jack, being a doctor, would have found it already...

Didn't Desmond take all of the stash in the Swann hatch?

Now I go to bed thinking of the scene where Claire, Kate and Libby are walking on the beach.  :huh:

615888[/snapback]

:lol: During that scene, I remember thinking that this could be the rest of the episode and I'd be good with that.

Ethan was great. I wish they hadn't bumped him off.

There was a scene in part one of last year's season finale where Locke asks Rousseau about the scratches on her arm and she says she got them "in the brush" or something. Locke sort of grunts and it sounded like he was pretty skeptical. Talk about tying up loose ends.

Right now, I actually have some confidence that the producers might now where they're going with this show.

Next new episode is March 22nd. :doh:

Now I go to bed thinking of the scene where Claire, Kate and Libby are walking on the beach.  :doh:

615888[/snapback]

During that shot I remember thinking to myself, "Damn, Kate looks good next to those 2 borderline anorexic twigs."

Friendly was Zeke. Listen to the voice, and look at his facial features. Same guy.

Also, I agree with an above post that the disguises are so people don't recognize them from before, or maybe later. They wouldn't be able to infiltrate the survivors if they were identifiable. There may be something in the medical cave facility that ties the new guy to the others. Will Clair, and Kate tell everyone about the find?????

I was waiting for someone to post on this. Honestly, I think this was the best episode this season, and possibly since the first handful of the series. It was FINALLY one of those that explained as much as it brought up new questions.  Also, it went by in what seemed to be 10 minutes...

615920[/snapback]

I think the past three eps have had that same S1 feeling.

Don't know what to think about the costumes, but like someone else said, they were left behind for a reason. The whole place was cleaned out, and it makes you wonder how many of these hatches are around the entire island, and how the Others move around b/w them (tunnels?)....

I guess we are to take that the brunette girl was Alex, and that even tho she's been raised by them pretty much since birth, she knows that what they're doing isn't right. Another special child?

Odd that Ethan called the Others a "family." And, from the doorway conversation I don't think it was he that strung up Charlie.

Also, is there anything to how Sawyer says this is an all-girl mission? Is it solely a woman-as-caregiver/baby-stuff theme?

3) Eko's beard: Another theory from a friend, not sure about it, but it seemed to fit is he cut off his beard to symbolically unburden himself (two lockes of hair for the two men he killed?)

4) The ploy with Locke is very believable, sure it's cliche but remember Locke's history. He HATES being in middle managment (the box-factory and his boss all the rankor there). The prisoner KNEW that (showing me he knows who Locke is, proving he is an Other and the passengers were chosen long ago) and KNEW how to get into Locke's head.

6) The psychologist (Libby) is probably an "other".

615948[/snapback]

2) That's entirely possible.

3) Seemed like a spiritual thing.

4) Not sure that we should think Henry's quip proves he is an Other. It's a pretty common thing to play psychologist by using a "Who has more power" issue to create a rift b/w two people who are in leadership positions. And, like he said, he could hear through the door at the whole Jack/Locke contention. Looks like the next new ep will have Sayid going to find Henry's balloon to find out if he's telling the truth.

5) I think Desmond took it all. Or most of it. And what is Jack supposed to do with it anyway? You're going to start injecting people with a drug that you have no clue as to what it is? That they haven't gotten 'sick' might suggest a resistance had been found or acquired in the real world since the time of Rousseau's crash, yet the Others and the people on the island think it is still active.

6) Doubt it. She was on the plane.

The funny thing is when they had their last run in with the "Others" I thought that dude had a pretty phony looking beard and "outdoor look" in general. I didn't comment on it at the time cause I thought maybe ABC just had bad lighting during the shoot or something....I should have known better. Everything means something with that show.

Friendly was Zeke.  Listen to the voice, and look at his facial features.  Same guy.

Also, I agree with an above post that the disguises are so people don't recognize them from before, or maybe later.  They wouldn't be able to infiltrate the survivors if they were identifiable.  There may be something in the medical cave facility that ties the new guy to the others.  Will Clair, and Kate tell everyone about the find?????

616084[/snapback]

Wouldn't it make more sense that the disguises are more to "blend in" then to disassociate? I mean that these others are military or scientific in nature... and therefore have access to sanitary conditions that appear in the hatch(Water, baths, etc), so they use the disguises to make it look like they have been stranded also.

If Locke isn't screwing around with Gale, I'm going to be very disappointed

he obviously knew the walls were very thin and the talk of Dostoyevsky and Hemingway with Jack was a pretty easy setup for the whole deal...perhaps he wants him released so he can follow him back to the Others

My favorite line of the night was when Eko was going in to talk to Henry Gale, and Locke said something like "don't tell him what the button is for" and Eko responds "what IS it for?"

the look on Locke's face was priceless.

My favorite line of the night was when Eko was going in to talk to Henry Gale, and Locke said something like "don't tell him what the button is for" and Eko responds "what IS it for?"

the look on Locke's face was priceless.

616204[/snapback]

My favorite line was when Ethan told Claire: "I could explain everything right now, but I'm afraid it would be a little overwhelming."

Nice nod to the fans, IMO.

Oh, one more thing I forgot:

8) Why didn't ANYONE look in the ESCAPE HATCH in the medical hatch? It was along the hall on the hallway and went in a different direction than the enterance that Everyone was using.

I guess I missed something, but who is "Friendly"?

Didn't Desmond take all of the stash in the Swann hatch?

615989[/snapback]

Friendly = Zeeke/Bluebeard/the guy on the boat who took Walt off the raft/the guy Jack and Sawyer spoke with in the Jungle who had the lugger to Kate's head. IMDB called his character Mr. Friendly...though I am still partial to Bluebeard.

He was also the guy talking with Ethan last night outside the baby's room only he was groomed.

Desmond took a lot of the vaccine, but he left tons behind in the cabinets. I'm not saying Jack would use it, but you would think someone would have found it by now and asked what the hell it was.

Oh, one more thing I forgot:

8) Why didn't ANYONE look in the ESCAPE HATCH in the medical hatch? It was along the hall on the hallway and went in a different direction than the enterance that Everyone was using.

616293[/snapback]

I noticed that too.

That was not a big bunker. I wonder where the "Escape Hatch" led to. It seemed like they wanted us to be able to read that.

I noticed that too.

That was not a big bunker.  I wonder where the "Escape Hatch" led to.  It seemed like they wanted us to be able to read that.

616343[/snapback]

Anybody have screenshots of that? I missed it...

I noticed that too.

That was not a big bunker.  I wonder where the "Escape Hatch" led to.  It seemed like they wanted us to be able to read that.

616343[/snapback]

Yeah, they def had it there for a reason (and for us to see it). It was in at least 3 different scenes/shots. I don't know how to do screenshots, so I'm no help, but EZ it was a tiny door (smaller than a normal door) with red lettering ontop of it that said "Escape Hatch" along the wall of the main hall.

It just seemed odd that the girls didn't at least point it out and wonder....