No paycut means Moulds wants to be cut

HelloNewman

The problem is that some of you are not looking at the totality of this picture. All you see is the large cap # on moulds and the 5 mil we can save cutting him.

You have to also realize that IF we cut moulds, we need another WR.  Another WR is going to come with a 3-4 mil cap hit this season, negating most of the "savings".

So for a 1M savings, you get another WR who has to learn the offense, more changes for a growing quarterback, lose a fan favorite player and uncertainty of performance.

Keep EM.  At least for one more year.  Then deal with it.

How do you figure that a replacement for Moulds (unless it's TO), will cost "3-4 mil" in cap hit this year? Usually, at best a Pro Bowl/Franchise player costs $3M against the cap his first year with his new team, because the first year salary is around the minimum, to off-set the huge signing bonus. But without signing a guy like TO and no other marquee players out there, the cap hit should be more like the range of $2-2.25M. That still produces a savings of $2-2.25M (or $3-3.5M, depending on your source). That's a whole other FA.

Edited by MadBuffaloDisease

How do you figure that a replacement for Moulds (unless it's TO), will cost "3-4 mil" in cap hit this year?  Usually, at best a Pro Bowl/Franchise player costs $3M against the cap his first year with his new team, because the first year salary is around the minimum, to off-set the huge signing bonus.  But without signing a guy like TO, there are no marquee players out there, so the cap hit should be more like the range of $2-2.25M.  That still produces a savings of $2-2.25M (or $3-3.5M, depending on your source).  That's a whole other FA.

612419[/snapback]

and we would not have a #1 WR.

The problem is that some of you are not looking at the totality of this picture. All you see is the large cap # on moulds and the 5 mil we can save cutting him.

You have to also realize that IF we cut moulds, we need another WR.  Another WR is going to come with a 3-4 mil cap hit this season, negating most of the "savings".

So for a 1M savings, you get another WR who has to learn the offense, more changes for a growing quarterback, lose a fan favorite player and uncertainty of performance.

612389[/snapback]

You make some good points. It will be difficult to imagine EM in a different uniform. He has been Mr. Buffalo Bill for quite some time now, but and then again, is that a good thing? What you seem to forget is the cap savings Buffalo will ultimately have in the 2007-08 season. It will be about 7 to 8 Million dollars and thats WITH a suitable #2 receiver replacing #80 on our roster. I say let him go. This is a rebuilding year anyways.

612389[/snapback]

We will be running a new offense anyways....All, including Moulds will have

to start afresh.

If Moulds was willing to admit he's a #2 WR, we could resign him and he could be a valuable player for 3-4 more years as a possession receiver, much like Jimmy Smith or Keenan McCardell or Steve Largent have been very productive well into their 30s. If he's going to pout, he's not worth the extra money spent. Evans can and will be a #1 WR in the NFL very soon, IMO. He can do it all.

Move the picture away from football and it is no different then any other Buffalonian. You have a guy named Eric who works at a company in Buffalo - the company says that they are reorganizing the Buffalo office and they want him to take a pay cut to stay with the company. But Eric doesn't want to take a pay cut and thinks he could move out of Buffalo and find a similar job in another city that will pay him what he thinks he is worth.

I don't like the idea of spending money on a WR that is even close to the talent level of E Moulds. We have what should be a solid 1 and slot receiver, with a pass catching TE in the wings. Why not get a decent priced vet to hold down the number two spot and see how it goes. D Juaron will not have his offense passing much anyways. Lets use our money to build up the line and let Willis take the load. If he can carry the team thats great if not maybe its time to blow the whole thing up again. Donahoe really messed us up. Josh Reed really stings right now, if he pans out, we would have release Moulds last year.

OUT

It is time for Moulds to move on.  Have we won a single playoff game since he has been on the roster?  Sam Aiken is ready to step into his slot, time for the youth.

612752[/snapback]

I SO wanted Sam to be a starting WR on this team...but I'm over it. Everytime I see him play WR he flat out sucks. I'm kinda shocked as I thought he had the tools...but I've never seen him contribute as a WR.

I SO wanted Sam to be a starting WR on this team...but I'm over it.  Everytime I see him play WR he flat out sucks.  I'm kinda shocked as I thought he had the tools...but I've never seen him contribute as a WR.

613056[/snapback]

I am with you on that one. Every year it seems like he has a solid preseason and camp but it ends there.

Moulds was a great player for this team.He got a raw deal playing with so many coaches and qbs and then you look at his pal Harrison in Indy witrh Manning and you gotta feel for the guy. He stayed with the team through some rough times and we should celebrate him. His best years are behind him. If he wants to take a run at it somewhere else, I wish him all the best.