Salary cap Update 2/24

With the franchising of Nate Clements and release of Mike Williams, I have the Bills $4,771,908 under an "estimated" salary cap of $93.5 million with $6,760,392 "dead cap"

Much will be happening in the next few days, thus I will not likely update cap page until after start of FA. I will continue to post updates in this forum

:lol:

With the franchising of Nate Clements and release of Mike Williams, I have the Bills $4,771,908 under an "estimated" salary cap of $93.5 million with $6,760,392 "dead cap"

Much will be happening in the next few days, thus I will not likely update cap page until after start of FA. I will continue to post updates in this forum

610736[/snapback]

Thanks. Keep it comin'.

what date do teams have to be under the cap?

as i understand it, the Bills could sign (for example) LeCharles Bentley next Friday and put themselves over the cap by 10 Million.

at what date do they have to release other players and juggle other contracts to get under the cap?

The way it stands now with the cap figure, we would be fielding a full team with roughly maxing out the cap. Any FA signings and draft choices will be replacing a player on the team so the extra amount in the cap is used to cover the amount that the FA will make more than the person they are replacing.

So if you find someone to replace MW for less than what we save, that difference will get added to the cap savings we have. If we sign someone for more, than we have to take money out of the cap savings.

I was under the impression they have til their last cuts in the preseason to get under the cap.

610736[/snapback]

Thanks for your efforts!

610736[/snapback]

Thanks a bunch Clump! I'm sure that I'm echoeing the sentiment around here, but it's really cool that you do this and much appreciated. I trust your numbers more than any other crappy media outlet and always look forward to updates.

Keep it up!!

Just using my own jugement here, 4.7 is probably only enough to tender our free agents, re-sign our RFAs and get our draft picks under contract.  So basically more cutting has to go if we want to make any FA splash.

610758[/snapback]

they say a team needs to have about 4-5 mill left just for the draft, we might need a little more since we have a higher pick and an extra 3rd rounder, not counting in any compensatory picks we might have. So no, its definitely not enough.

I was under the impression they have til their last cuts in the preseason to get under the cap.

610772[/snapback]

Only the top 51 player salaries for a team count against the salary cap in the offseason. The offseason for 2006 officially starts March 3. During the regular season, all player salaries count toward the salary cap.