Call me crazy

Mile High

How do you guys feel? Do you want him to stay or go? I mentioned yesterday in another thread that I would hate to see Eric in another uniform. So what is your opinion? I think he restructures again and finishes his career with the Bills.

Stay or go?

Stay.

about a month ago i would have said i want the Bills to keep him.

but now i have second thoughts.

if they can restructure his deal with a lower cap figure while not being forced to stretch it out over something ridiculous like 5 years...i would be ok with that.

but if he has to get all of that money he has coming to him....i think it would be best to release him, and use that non-guaranteed money someplace else.

(read: OL/DL/S)

I'd like to see him stay, if the money thing works out. His skills are diminishing, but he surely knows about the playing tendencies of opposing players. Finding a replacement for that on-field knowledge can be difficult.

610470[/snapback]

Agreed. He was sorely missed this year when he was suspended, I can't picture Eric not on this team. It would be really strange.

I want him to stay if a better cap friendly contract can be worked out. We all saw what happened when Pierce was traded away and there wasn't anybody decent to replace him at the time.

Despite his diminishing skills, his knowledge of the game is a big plus to keep around.

If he refuses to restructure his contract, then they have to decide if they can find a decent replacement at a lower cost.

Interview on TFY Draft seems to indicate they want him back

Buffalo Bills General Manager Marv Levy

- Levy stated that getting CB Nate Clements tied down with the franchise tag was key to rebuilding the defense in Buffalo. He noted that Clements is a young player with a lot of talent, but the club feels he has room to get even better, and Clements does too. Levy said they will continue to work on reaching a long term deal with him and he left Clements a voice mail this week to get dialogue going for a long-term deal.

- Levy noted that the Bills, much like many other teams in the NFL have a “quarterback situation” heading into the 2006 season. He noted that last season was truly J.P. Losman’s rookie year due to his injuries the previous season. But Levy noted that he is a skilled quarterback with a strong arm and good mobility -- he just has a lot more to learn. But Levy said, “Show me a rookie quarterback who didn’t. We’re standing here in Indianapolis where Peyton Manning went 3-13 as a rookie.”

Levy stated that in regards to the quarterback position, they will likely bring another one in during the offseason.

“Is it likely that he’s going to be a top-of-the-line first or second rounder? Not likely.” Levy said a mid-round pick of someone that they are surprised or pleased to see on the board at that time would be possible. He also said that the team would consider a free agent if he’s relatively young and the kind of talent who clearly has the talent level to become a starter, such as a Brett Favre when he was with Atlanta or Steve Young when he was with Tampa."

- Levy mentioned that he hasn’t been able to get in touch with wide receiver Eric Moulds regarding restructuring his contract. But he said that they feel he still has a lot to offer and they are hopeful they can get a new deal worked out that would keep him in Buffalo. Head coach Dick Jauron said the coaching staff is proceeding under the assumption that Moulds will be back.

He also said that the team would consider a free agent if he’s relatively young and the kind of talent who clearly has the talent level to become a starter, such as a Brett Favre when he was with Atlanta or Steve Young when he was with Tampa."

610483[/snapback]

Don't go out on a limb there, Marv... :lol:

very tough question. He is a pro bowl player even now. I think if it can be structured we have to try to keep him. On the other hand that is one hell of a lot of cap money and there are some nice looking free agents out there for our offensive and defensive line. I'd lean toward very serious renegotiation.

If he can be brought back for a reasobable price I would love to have him back, he is a great player. At the same time, if he were to leave it wouldn't break my heart.

He has been through a lot here during his time in Buffalo, and given better quarterbacking and more consistency with Offensive Cooridinators / Head Coaches he could have been one of teh all time greats.

Imagine what a dangerous combination he would have been with Jim Kelly and Ted Marchabroda.

“Is it likely that he’s going to be a top-of-the-line first or second rounder? Not likely.” Levy said a mid-round pick of someone that they are surprised or pleased to see on the board at that time would be possible. He also said that the team would consider a free agent if he’s relatively young and the kind of talent who clearly has the talent level to become a starter, such as a Brett Favre when he was with Atlanta or Steve Young when he was with Tampa."

On that note, I would love to see them bring in Josh McCown.

Keep him, but only for a newly negotiated cap figure. I don't think even the most ardent Moulds supporter (and I'm a huge EM fan) believes he can come back under the current figure. You can't pay a WR 10+M a year on the cap. Now if you can get Moulds to sign/renegotiate a new deal you can easily lower his cap figure to about 6M7M/year. Who wouldn't want him back for that cap figure since signing anyone else to replace him would mean a higher cap figure. Also, there is nobody in FA as good as Moulds. So why pay an inferior WR a cap figure of 7+M/year (Moulds dead cap 5.5 + new WR's cap money).

I'm so glad another topic about Moulds was started. I dont think we have discussed it enough. :lol:

610546[/snapback]

Yeah, I think we've pretty much run the gamut on Moulds. It's looking like Marv's gonna try and keep him - he's said as much, and Jauron is preparing as though Moulds will be here. No need to do anything in a hurry since he's under contract - unless he won't restructure and you want to trade him before the April 29 draft, or you desparately need to free up cap space to go after free agents. Yeah, he's still a great WR and can contribute - love to see him back, if possible. But if he won't restructure, we need lots of help in lots of positions and could use a couple players and/or draft picks in return. Yeah, Marv can't reach him, but Marv's been busy, and Eric's probably someplace warm - Marv will probably run into him at the Tops on McKinley very soon. Yeah, that's pretty much the gamut, I think.

Yeah, Marv can't reach him, but Marv's been busy, and Eric's probably someplace warm - Marv will probably run into him at the Tops on McKinley very soon.

610591[/snapback]

Just imagine that meeting as they meet up in the frozen food isle, Marv is rushing over, Eric is looking in the other direction hoping Marv doesn't notice him.

Yeah, I think we've pretty much run the gamut on Moulds.  It's looking like Marv's gonna try and keep him - he's said as much, and Jauron is preparing as though Moulds will be here.  No need to do anything in a hurry since he's under contract - unless he won't restructure and you want to trade him before the April 29 draft, or you desparately need to free up cap space to go after free agents.  Yeah, he's still a great WR and can contribute - love to see him back, if possible.  But if he won't restructure, we need lots of help in lots of positions and could use a couple players and/or draft picks in return.  Yeah, Marv can't reach him, but Marv's been busy, and Eric's probably someplace warm - Marv will probably run into him at the Tops on McKinley very soon.  Yeah, that's pretty much the gamut, I think.

610591[/snapback]

I think Moulds might be a Wegman's man.

(That should start a new flurry of controversy!)

I'd like to see him stay, if the money thing works out. His skills are diminishing, but he surely knows about the playing tendencies of opposing players. Finding a replacement for that on-field knowledge can be difficult.

610470[/snapback]

Couldn't be your typical restructure where the money just moves around. His pay would have to be drastically reduced to make it workable.

I think Moulds might be a Wegman's man.

(That should start a new flurry of controversy!)

610801[/snapback]

Oh yeah, Mr. Smartypants??? Have you even bothered to read my post, or even try to understand the new checkout system at Tops???

:lol:

How's it goin' out there, Deano?

Don't know about Eric - he may well be a Wegman's guy - but Marv buys his bananas at Tops...

Marv Levy's bananas...