Tory Woodbury

major

He's probably not even going to start on his team in NFL Europe. They also have Kliff Kingsbury who I think will beat Woodbury out. If Tory starts and plays the majority of the season there I will be impressed and probably want him to be our #3. I doubt it will happen though.

606011[/snapback]

It's really sad that we're discussing Woodbury as a potential starter for the Bills, when he might not even be a starter for NFL Europe.

Actually he was cut and re-signed and sent to NFL Europe.

The problem is if he is successful in NFL Europe it means he plays a lot and is worn out and if he isn't then he will not likely be successful with Bills.

605998[/snapback]

Maybe so this year but in a year or two he could be another Warner or Jake Delhomme. Of course I'm not holding my breath.

He has a big time arm, but there has to be a reason why he's never been given a shot at being a starting QB.

606161[/snapback]

There are chances and there are chances.

UDFAs, low-round picks and the like certainly get a "chance" with a team that signs them, they just don't get the same "chance" as high-round picks, well known/established players, etc. There's some level of competition for every job...but, if you have an established player at a position who performs well, the openess of that competition is different than if the position is one where you are weak.

So, a guy like TW, has been to camp, given some reps in practice and even had some snaps in pre-season games. But, when you're in his position, you have to really WOW everyone with the limited opportunity you have (or experience major luck if the starter goes down/gets arrested/etc). Troy looked pretty good in his appearances in pre-season last year. But, I'm sure the coaches didn't think he was NFL ready and his performances (in practice and games) didn't DEMAND he be considered for the job. He clearly had some potential but needed lots of work...so they sent him to Europe.

Jason Peters situation is a little similar (and a little different) in that he was an UDFA in his initial traning camp with the Bills. While not WOWING the coaches enough to make the roster right away. But, he was impressive enough to be a relatively early pluck from the Practice Squad. Upon arriving he stood out on Special Teams (recovering a fumble, blocking a punt and making some killer blocks on runbacks). His hustle (and, let's face it, physical attributes) earned him a higher level of "chance" at OT than he had upon arrival.

(The difference between the two is JP was considered a potential prospect and there was talk about the Bills drafting him in the late rounds...when he came here he was kind of a "steal" as a UDFA. TW had been released by two teams already and there was no such hype, AFAIK.)

I trust that Troy will get his opportunity to WOW the coaches and get bigger chances should he take advantages of his limited opportunities. Of course the chance of TW becoming the starting QB of the Bills in 2006 is holding hands with Zero. But it won't be because he didn't get a "shot".

Woodbury!?!?!  :P:doh: :doh:

You can't be serious!  apparently, you never saw him at training camp.  :P

606382[/snapback]

Its the typical Buffalo love affair with the underdog...i.e: Brandon Spoon Tim Tindale

Which I can understand since Buffalo is always the underdog.

However, I still just dont see what you people see in Tory Woodbury. He's been around the league since 2001 and has yet to break into a lineup. If you are a serious player, you dont stay a secret for 5 years. If I remember correctly the Jets even had him at WR in one of the years he was there.

Now, I'd be thrilled if after going to Europe he becomes the next Delhomme, but I believe this guy has Brad Banks written all over him.