LaVar Arrington

I was just kind of wondering what the deal was with LaVar Arrington in Washington this past season? I know that he wasn't getting along with Gibbs and that he wasn't being used often but I don't really know why.

It seems to be a forgone (sp?) conclusion that LaVar will be released by Washington. If that is the case, what do you think the odds would be of him coming to Buffalo?

With Spikes' future up in the air, Fletcher being a FA next year (and not getting any younger), and Posey being a joke; we should probably get another STUD LB. Angelo Crowell played well and I think he can be a powerhouse in the very near future. But we'll need a replacement for Posey, probably Fletcher after this season, and if Spikes loses a step (for the love of god, no!); the addition of Arrington could help tremendously.

Now i'll hang up and listen to all the "I've heard of 'em!" posts :devil:

IIt seems to be a forgone (sp?) conclusion that LaVar will be released by Washington. If that is the case, what do you think the odds would be of him coming to Buffalo?

603872[/snapback]

I'd rather have his defensive co-ordinator come back to Buffalo

he's a jerk, he's really stupid, and he wasnt playing well, thats why they took him out, he got beat out by some scrub during the season, arrington didnt like he was taken out and thats when the trouble started, not my type of player and i dont think he's marv's either

Lavar is and always has been a ball hawk. He does this regardless of the scheme, and whats to play his own style and not have to be accountable for a set of assignments. He made his name early in his career making big plays because the defense in DC sucked and basically he was about the only shining light. Once they got some defensive coaches who actually knew what they were doing they set up schemes and assignments for players and everyone except Lavar played within it. teams figured it out quickly and were throwing a lot of play action and misdirections his way knowing he would bite and pretty much made him real easy to beat. Well he got benched and the pouting started. Add to that he is highly paid, signed a contract and then said after the fact he thought the contract was for a different amount, and basically sued the skins to pay him what he thought the contract was for rather then what he signed for. Hence, he pissed off the front office, the coaches and his players who were always having to cover for him on the field. He basically is a pariah and now with a bum knee, he will be gone soon.

All he wants to do is rush the passer, get sacks, pad his stats. That makes him too easy for teams to defend. His best use would be as a situational pass rusher, but I think he wants to be paid like an "every down" player. No thanks.

I'm optimistic about Spikes' recovery. I think he'll still be the tackling machine we've always known - but his pass coverage abilities may be somewhat degraded. In the right scheme/system, the Bills ought to be able to figure out a way not to expose him too much in pass coverage.

Actually Lavar Arrington received more playing time as the season went on, and generally played well within the scheme. While it's true he's been known as a freelancer, if you use arrington primarly to do what he does best, get after the quaterback he can be a tremendous asset to your team. Not saying buffalo is the right situation for arrington. I think eventually he'll turn out great in gregg williams scheme, just that if the opportunity presened itself. I'd definitly be for it.

he's a jerk, he's really stupid, and he wasnt playing well, thats why they took him out, he got beat out by some scrub during the season, arrington didnt like he was taken out and thats when the trouble started, not my type of player and i dont think he's marv's either

603895[/snapback]

He is not stupid. In fact, he's pretty articulate. The problem is he won't play within the system; probably never had to up until he reached the NFL. He either feels he's more effective doing his own thing, as he always has done, or has had great difficulty breaking old habits.

The contract nonsense was more his agent screwing up and not disecting the final contract, as he was being paid to do.

The problem is he won't play within the system; probably never had to up until he reached the NFL. 

604540[/snapback]

Well, he played at Penn State so I'm guessing there was a system he played in.

Well, he played at Penn State so I'm guessing there was a system he played in.

605307[/snapback]

He was great at Penn State. However, even back then he was regarded as undisciplined, as a player...which is why although Lavar is more of an athletic freak, Posluzny is getting more hype as an "all-time great" at PSU, right up there with Jack Ham and Shane Conlan.

He was great at Penn State.  However, even back then he was regarded as undisciplined, as a player...which is why although Lavar is more of an athletic freak, Posluzny is getting more hype as an "all-time great" at PSU, right up there with Jack Ham and Shane Conlan.

605510[/snapback]

Ham and Conlan (hold the mayo)...that's pretty good company!

I was just kind of wondering what the deal was with LaVar Arrington in Washington this past season? I know that he wasn't getting along with Gibbs and that he wasn't being used often but I don't really know why.

603872[/snapback]

Arrington has been pissed at the Skins for two years. In a nutshell, he said the Redskins agreed to a contract number with him that included certain signing bonuses. But when it came time to pay, they only paid him something like 8 million instead of the 14 he was expecting. Going back to the contract, lo and behold, that extra bonus money was not included. He had signed the contract after his agent, one of the POston brothers, told him to do so.

He then filed for arbitration stating that the Skins verbally agreed to the higher number, but snakily left it out of the written contract. I am not sure how the arbitration ended, but he got a lot less than what he thought he was promised.Add to that he believed the medical staff of the Redskins was trying to push him back after injuries a little to quick, while the Redskins coached felt he was being a little slow coming back and wouldn't play with a little pain.

That was the genesis

BTW, the agent later admitted he never read the FINAL version of the contract, and he has been formally disciplined by the NFLPA.