KFFL reporting FA Period could be delayed

richNjoisy

NFL | Free agency period could be pushed back

Tue, 14 Feb 2006 09:18:53 -0800

Gary Myers, of the New York Daily News, reports the NFL free agent market is scheduled to open March 3, but it could be pushed back until April 1 if there is enough progress made in the next couple of weeks in negotiations for an extension of the collective bargaining agreement. There have been advances in some areas since the Super Bowl ended 10 days ago that could lead to a delay in free agency, according to source with knowledge of the talks. The sides met yesterday in New York. "The only good news is there is a lot of talk," the source said last night. "That is usually a good sign. Both sides are feeling pressure to get it done within a reasonable time period."

More time for Marv to prepare for free agency? A good thing? maybe. It would also help the Clements negotiations to be able to extend any bonus beyond the now uncapped year of 2007.

JCBoston Posted Today, 04:39 PM

QUOTE(scribo @ Feb 14 2006, 04:29 PM)

I cannot wait an extra month -- damn it!

Patience, young paduan. This is really good news.

God forbid if this league ever gives up its salary cap...

Waiting another month would make for a boring March, but I agree with you JC, this is good news.

Scribo, at least we have the combine in another week, and if it gets to be too much there is always March Madness. Unless you do'nt care for basketball.

I'm getting desperate for football already. Is there any NFL Europe/Arena League/Semi-pro/sandlot stuff on ESPN2 or something? Pro basketball sucks and I can't get the Sabres here in Youngstown without a dish. March Madness seems to have lost it's luster. Anybody know if the NFL Europe is playing now.

Man, I feel so pathetic.

Thats great news actually...taking an extra month to get a new CBA deal in place means that we wont enter that screwed-up uncapped 2007 year.

This shows progress is being made though...looks like both sides realized what needs to be done.

603297[/snapback]

The NFL and the NFLPA better know they have to get something done...because if they strike yet again and considering how great the league is doing...you think baseball looked bad? The NFL would look 100X worse if they went on strike

the NFLPA isn't the problem.........it's the NFL owners who need to get their ducks in order........the rich boys (i.e. jerry and danny) need to get this settled and give some more revenue to the little guys........NFLPA is just sitting back and waiting for the babies to stop fighting over their toys.......once they get that sorted the CBA will be hammered out in no time.......

It would also help the Clements negotiations to be able to extend any bonus beyond the now uncapped year of 2007.

603209[/snapback]

Honestly, I do not see much negotiation until the CBA is done. You need to see the structure before you can start making those types of commitments.

An update (again via KFFL who got this from the Washington Post):

NFL | May be no need to push free agency back

Wed, 15 Feb 2006 19:17:36 -0800

Mark Maske, of the Washington Post, reports, as noted previously, the start of NFL free agency could be pushed back from March 3 to April 1 if there is sufficient progress in labor negotiations to warrant such a delay, according to sources around the league. The problem is there has been no progress in labor talks. One participant in the labor negotiations said Tuesday, Feb. 14, that there's no need at this point to contemplate pushing back free agency because there's no sign yet that a few extra weeks would produce a deal.

The NFL has been the most successful sports business in history of late. I cannot believe, given the "fine" examples aka baseball and hockey, that they will not find an amicable way to split up this money cow. Given that, the 28-30 "less greedy" owners will force the 2-4 "greedy" owners to "suffer along" only making a gazillion dollars a year instead of a coupla gazillion dollars. Poor poor owners. meanwhile, the players need to push for what they can - maybe a bigger % and a piece of the luxury boxes. As a give back, I URGE THEM to limit rookie salaries and bonues. Too many youngsters who never make a decent play in a game are chowing down on what the good players should be chowing down on (Ryan Leaf is the poster child for this premise). Limit the rookie pool AND BONUSES and then the money inevitably will go to the veterans. Why not? They have EARNED it!

Go Bills!!

-RnJ

An update (again via KFFL who got this from the Washington Post):

NFL | May be no need to push free agency back

Wed, 15 Feb 2006 19:17:36 -0800

Mark Maske, of the Washington Post, reports, as noted previously, the start of NFL free agency could be pushed back from March 3 to April 1 if there is sufficient progress in labor negotiations to warrant such a delay, according to sources around the league. The problem is there has been no progress in labor talks. One participant in the labor negotiations said Tuesday, Feb. 14, that there's no need at this point to contemplate pushing back free agency because there's no sign yet that a few extra weeks would produce a deal.

The NFL has been the most successful sports business in history of late. I cannot believe, given the "fine" examples aka baseball and hockey, that they will not find an amicable way to split up this money cow. Given that, the 28-30 "less greedy" owners will force the 2-4 "greedy" owners to "suffer along" only making a gazillion dollars a year instead of a coupla gazillion dollars. Poor poor owners. meanwhile, the players need to push for what they can - maybe a bigger % and a piece of the luxury boxes. As a give back, I URGE THEM to limit rookie salaries and bonues. Too many youngsters who never make a decent play in a game are chowing down on what the good players should be chowing down on (Ryan Leaf is the poster child for this premise). Limit the rookie pool AND BONUSES and then the money inevitably will go to the veterans. Why not? They have EARNED it!

Go Bills!!

-RnJ

604619[/snapback]

I agree. There needs to be a hard cap on rookie salaries. None of this $50 million with $25 mil guaranteed crap just because you ahve the POTENTIAL to be good. If you are good, play for a few years and prove it, then sign your big contract.

If this happens, is anyone worried about the effect it will have on the draft? With only three weeks as opposed to 7 weeks of FA before the draft, can that effect who you will take.

604813[/snapback]

Most of the action for FA takes place in the first couple of weeks anyway, so I don't think it will effect it that way. The main problem is teams won't have as long to come up with a draft strategy after free agency.