(Sabres) Another Day, Another Duece

Alaska Darin

Well, here we sit with one game left before the Olympic break (Sunday at Carolina). Tonight the Sabres win 5-3, blowing a 2-0 lead but finally breaking getting over the hump against the Florida Panthers. Thomas Vanek scored two nice goals to lead the way.

With a win tomorrow, the Sabres would be within one point of Ottawa for the division lead and two points of the conference leading Carolina Hurricanes (with a game in hand on the Canes). Not many people thought that would be possible.

I'm curious to see who Lindy puts in the cage tomorrow.

Oh, the Maple Leafs lost to the Rangers for the second straight night and the Habs lost in a shootout against the Thrashers.

Good night for us!

Can't wait to catch a playoff game when I'm done with school in a couple months! Hopefully the break doesn't mess up the team's flow, but I think they're too talented to hit a big skid. One thing's for sure, they sure don't look like the recent Sabres teams we've had! Go Swords!!!!!!!

The biggest advantage that we'll have after the Olympic break is actually getting some of our walking wounded healed.  Briere will definitely be back, and we'll be closer to getting Hecht and Connolly back in the lineup.

601132[/snapback]

It's crazy that this team is so complete you sometimes forget about the injured guys that are supposed to be the "better" players on the team. Every time a Dumont or Briere goes down, there's a Pominville or a Novotny that steps up and contributes. I'm too lazy to find out for sure (and I don't know exactly how you'd do it) but I would imagine the Sabres have the widest "distribution" of their goals among their players. It seems like everyone on the team is going to finish with 15 goals! I think we have a really good thing going on here and it looks like it will be sustained for a number of years.

It's such a nice change from the most recent teams we've had that would seem to fold their tents whenever things got rough. For me its to the point where I'm disappointed when there's a night without a game for me to sit at my computer and listen to. I envy all you that can actually watch all the games! I may have a chance to see them soon though as I met a kid in one of my classes who happens to be a big Sabres fan. He informed me that they get the center ice package at their place so they watch all the games. I'm hoping that after a few more days of talking about the previous night's game, I may get an invite to come watch :D

I may have a chance to see them soon though as I met a kid in one of my classes who happens to be a big Sabres fan. He informed me that they get the center ice package at their place so they watch all the games. I'm hoping that after a few more days of talking about the previous night's game, I may get an invite to come watch  :D

601136[/snapback]

How's your $$$ situation?

"Sabres game tonight? I'll bring the Labatt's. What did you say your address was again?"

:D

"Sabres game tonight? I'll bring the Labatt's. What did you say your address was again?"

601139[/snapback]

You read my mind! That's exactly what I was planning on doing if I didn't get an invite soon after the break. Luckily we got put in the same group for a project so I have a feeling it will come up sometime when we're working on it. Even if not, who the hell is going to turn down some free Blues!? :D

Getting Briere back is going to be huge. He's probably the most consistant scoring chance producer and his presence has a calming effect on the rest of the lineup.

I can't stress enough how important it is to get a top 4 d-man before the deadline. There's no way we can continue to saddle JMac with Fitzpatrick as his partner.

Oh, and St Louis can feel free to give us Tkachuk as well.

For those who don't get to see the games, be happy you're listening to the Sabres' feed. Damn some of these broadcast teams are horrid. Tonight was pretty bad, though I understand that Florida's regular guy was on his way to the Olympics or something.

Getting Briere back is going to be huge.  He's probably the most consistant scoring chance producer and his presence has a calming effect on the rest of the lineup.

I can't stress enough how important it is to get a top 4 d-man before the deadline.  There's no way we can continue to saddle JMac with Fitzpatrick as his partner.

Oh, and St Louis can feel free to give us Tkachuk as well.

For those who don't get to see the games, be happy you're listening to the Sabres' feed.  Damn some of these broadcast teams are horrid.  Tonight was pretty bad, though I understand that Florida's regular guy was on his way to the Olympics or something.

601151[/snapback]

The Thrashers guys are a joke. I was listening to the Thrashers/Sens game on the way home from work a couple days ago hoping for a Sens loss, and the exchange went something like...

"WOW What a hit. When he woke up, he said his name in French."

"They do speak a bit of french around here, so that would be alright, right?"

"Yeah, I guess so."

The Thrashers guys are a joke.  I was listening to the Thrashers/Sens game on the way home from work a couple days ago hoping for a Sens loss, and the exchange went something like...

"WOW What a hit. When he woke up, he said his name in French."

"They do speak a bit of french around here, so that would be alright, right?"

"Yeah, I guess so."

601199[/snapback]

The worst I've heard so far this season are the Capitals.

I was at the game last night so just some notes about what I saw:

Things you never fully realize until you are watching up close:

1) How big Taylor Pyatt is

2) How fast Max is

3) How good Vanek is - Florida couldn't handle him so they resorted to punching him and slashing him continually when he wasn't on the puck - didn't get to him -best player on the ice.

4) What a smart player Lydman is

5) I know Rory Fitzpatrick is a local fellow, but he was the worst player on the ice.

6) 7 shifts for Peters is about 5 too many

7) Derek Roy plays much bigger than his size because he is fearless. He makes you proud to be a hockey fan.

8) This team is going to be fun to watch for years : Vanek, Pommenville, Gaustad, Roy, Miller....

One thing that is different about HSBC and the old Aud, and it has taken me quite a few visits to really put my finger on it. At the Aud, there was the organ and rock music, and the humor of the fans. At HSBC the bells and whistles are fun, but there is so little entertainment time that is unmanaged that I miss the quiet lulls were you could hear a guy from the oranges yell something that would crack the whole arena up. No bedsheet signs, no chants that aren't fed from the scoreboard, (though USA did get through). HSBC is great, there was just something that was edgier, more authentic and intimate about a hockey game in the Aud.

601139[/snapback]

did you see the atlanta game yesterday

did you see this pitiful organization giving a 5'2 120 pound captain 5 million per year

it was a great game to watch and i got the greatest seats ever at a game, but the habs are going down the toilet :D

I was at the game last night so just some notes about what I saw:

Things you never fully realize until you are watching up close:

1) How big Taylor Pyatt is

2) How fast Max is

3) How good Vanek is - Florida couldn't handle him so they resorted to punching him and slashing him continually when he wasn't on the puck - didn't get to him -best player on the ice.

4) What a smart player Lydman is

5) I know Rory Fitzpatrick is a local fellow, but he was the worst player on the ice.

6) 7 shifts for Peters is about 5 too many

7) Derek Roy plays much bigger than his size because he is fearless. He makes you proud to be a hockey fan.

8) This team is going to be fun to watch for years : Vanek, Pommenville, Gaustad, Roy, Miller....

One thing that is different about HSBC and the old Aud, and it has taken me quite a few visits to really put my finger on it. At the Aud, there was the organ and rock music, and the humor of the fans. At HSBC the bells and whistles are fun, but there is so little entertainment time that is unmanaged that I miss the quiet lulls were you could hear a guy from the oranges yell something that would crack the whole arena up. No bedsheet signs, no chants that aren't fed from the scoreboard, (though USA did get through). HSBC is great, there was just something that was edgier, more authentic and intimate about a hockey game in the Aud.

601278[/snapback]

I was also at the game last night, and I always love going to the games, but you're right, even at my age, I think the Aud had that fan character to it. I remember being at the game right after Richard Nixon died. There was a moment of silence for him before the game, and about 8-10 seconds into it (moments of silence last, what, 15 seconds?) Someone from the orange yells "Let's go Tricky Dick!!" Needless to say, that ended the moment of silence, and yes, maybe it was not appropriate, but it was hilarious.

The constant "I can't hear you!!!" and "Everyone say THUN-DER" and the STUPID "sound meter" (that 90% of the fans don't realize would go up to "of the meter" even if everyone kept their mouths shut) at HSBC is pretty frigging annoying.

The one thing I did REALLY like about last night's game was the fact that they showed the same "fan" AT LEAST half a dozen times. This "fan" was around 30, with a light tan/gold shirt on, blonde, with HUGE bombs. Awesome. And the camera man in her section treated all of us pervs to some extra entertainment last night.

The one thing I did REALLY like about last night's game was the fact that they showed the same "fan" AT LEAST half a dozen times.  This "fan" was around 30, which a light tan shirt on, blonde, with HUGE bombs. Awesome. And the camera man in her section treated all of us pervs to some extra entertainment last night.

601364[/snapback]

She wasn't too hard on the eyes. :D The Why Guy did a nice job picking her out.