Question????

BDW1968

How many people on the board have played or coach sports? What sports if you have? I coach 3 sports (youth) Baseball, Football and Basketball and have done very well. I am just curious; to see how many people have been involved and how many that are still involved. It seems that there are a lot of people that think they know how to fix a team, let alone build a Super Bowl team. It seems that some people want a new QB, or that stud DE. I fill that you need to fix the middle of the lines and that would mean the top DT or trade down I would not use that 8th pick on anything else. It would not matter who is behind center, if you do not have time then you will be on your back all day. Everyone loved Drew B. when he was tossing the rock every where and the team was winning. But as soon as the team starts to lose then he is crap. I just do not under stand some of the comments that are made about the team that we would all like to see win the big one.

How many people on the board have played or coach sports? What sports if you have? I coach 3 sports (youth) Baseball, Football and Basketball and have done very well. I am just curious; to see how many people have been involved and how many that are still involved. It seems that there are a lot of people that think they know how to fix a team, let alone build a Super Bowl team. It seems that some people want a new QB, or that stud DE. I fill that you need to fix the middle of the lines and that would mean the top DT or trade down I would not use that 8th pick on anything else. It would not matter who is behind center, if you do not have time then you will be on your back all day. Everyone loved Drew B. when he was tossing the rock every where and the team was winning. But as soon as the team starts to lose then he is crap. I just do not under stand some of the comments that are made about the team that we would all like to see win the big one.

598832[/snapback]

Oh! Another one of those "if you haven't done it- then you can't know what you are talking about guys"

So I guess we should all just listen to the "Experts"

So because I played I now know more then you? Did you ever listen to Joe Theisman? He has to be the dumest man ever to play the game.

It also means that all the stars who have played the game are all going to be great coaches too.

Just because you disagree does not mean you are right. Just because you played the game does not mean you know how to play the game. Just because you played the game or coached the game does not mean you know any more about the game then the rest of us.

There are a lot of smart people in this world and Football is not that complicated a game.

The Steelers scored on a play in the Super Bowl that High School teams use all the time. It was a simple trap play. How difficult could the game really be?

Guest BackInDaDay

598832[/snapback]

Every once in a while someone poses this question. Are you active in sports? Have you ever been?

The last one I saw, I responded to. I had no problem sharing my experiences with my fellow Bills fans. I didn't think much of it at the time, but reading 1gap2gap's response made me think...

Unless personal accomplishments come up naturally in a discussion on this board, anyone posting their athletic / coaching resume is probably only doing so to qualify themselves as someone whose opinions are more valuable than others.

I've read many interesting and humorous things on this board over the last couple years. None of these people, responsible for such a great message board, should ever be made to feel their thoughts are inadequate. For that reason I'll abstain from answering that part of your post.

As far as your thoughts on the Bills goes...

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE !@#$ YOU'RE TALKIN' ABOUT!!! :lol::lol:

The Steelers scored on a play in the Super Bowl that High School teams use all the time.  It was a simple trap play. How difficult could the game really be?

598865[/snapback]

And they also scored on a play we used to use in the backyard when we were 12.

I fill that you need to fix the middle of the lines

598832[/snapback]

Does one need to be a youth coach for 3 different sports to come to this conclusion? :lol: Almost 50% of the offense and 40% of the defense are along the line of scrimmage. So naturally, this small area of the field must be important for something. The offensive skill players can't ever function if the OL collapses within the first second, and the defensive skill players can't get off the field if the DL is blown back 3-4 yards on every down.

The NFL basically comes down to a 32-team race for the best linemen. Those who miss out can overload in talent at the skill positions as compensation, but success then becomes much less likely (see: Matt Millen, Tom Donahoe, etc..).

PS: The word is "feel," not "fill." I hope you're not these children's English teacher, as well.

PS PS: I'm just busting balls tonight. Don't be offended. Too much.

Every once in a while someone poses this question.  Are you active in sports? Have you ever been?

The last one I saw, I responded to.  I had no problem sharing my experiences with my fellow Bills fans.  I didn't think much of it at the time, but reading 1gap2gap's response made me think...

Unless personal accomplishments come up naturally in a discussion on this board, anyone posting their athletic / coaching resume is probably only doing so to qualify themselves as someone whose opinions are more valuable than others.

I've read many interesting and humorous things on this board over the last couple years.  None of these people, responsible for such a great message board, should ever be made to feel their thoughts are inadequate.  For that reason I'll abstain from answering that part of your post.

As far as your thoughts on the Bills goes...

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE !@#$ YOU'RE TALKIN' ABOUT!!!  :lol:  :lol:

598910[/snapback]

And you sound like one of the drunken fans that have to B word if the bills do not run the table. It takes time and the right people in place to win it all.

:lol::lol:

i played 3 sports, and am still active, but in no way does that make me more qualified than anyone else

charlie weiss never played a down of football in his life, do you know more than him?

598960[/snapback]

No where did I say that I know more then any one else. When you have people all over this board wanting to trade this person for that one or for that draft pick. Come on it starts with the players and then coaching. Look at NE's player and who would you not want on your team.

Does one need to be a youth coach for 3 different sports to come to this conclusion?  :lol:  Almost 50% of the offense and 40% of the defense are along the line of scrimmage. So naturally, this small area of the field must be important for something. The offensive skill players can't ever function if the OL collapses within the first second, and the defensive skill players can't get off the field if the DL is blown back 3-4 yards on every down.

The NFL basically comes down to a 32-team race for the best linemen. Those who miss out can overload in talent at the skill positions as compensation, but success then becomes much less likely (see: Matt Millen, Tom Donahoe, etc..).

PS: The word is "feel," not "fill." I hope you're not these children's English teacher, as well.

PS PS: I'm just busting balls tonight. Don't be offended. Too much.

598991[/snapback]

I'm not offened, Thanks for the Spell check. I know in any sport you have to strong up the middle or you will lose every time.

Guest BackInDaDay
And you sound like one of the drunken fans that have to B word if the bills do not run the table. It takes time and the right people in place to win it all.

:lol:  :lol:

599043[/snapback]

Sailed right over your head, eh? :lol:

598832[/snapback]

Played high school football. TE on offense, DB on defense. Not a starter, but I learned enough about the game to know that everything starts and ends with the O and D lines. I was lucky enough to play for a team that was good at both, and for a coach who understood their value, since he was a lineman in college (Michigan). I feel that, generally speaking, a team with good O and D line play is going to be successful. Granted it's more complicated in the NFL, but it's like Marv says: "Nothing has changed. Run and stop the run"

i have coached "Pony League" baseball. not everyone has that but it is baseball "post little league". different areas of the country call it different things..

i have also coached girls basketball. not very well at either but someone needed to fill a gap, and i volunteered.

i have played:

High School Baseball, Football, Basketball, Ran Cross Country.

College: IntraMural Football, Softball, Basketball

Post College: Softball

was never very good at any of them, except as a WR in football....i did ok.

the worst position to be involved in with sports is not coaching or playing....but a very timely topic: Refereeing.

I umped baseball. For one summer. I couldn't quit fast enough. Parents are

a-holes to the highest degree. i mean real a-holes.Also refed College intramural hoops. This wasn't so bad as long as you are consistant. Let him bang and play, or call everything.

It is a very very very hard job and not something i would ever want to have to make a living doing.

How many people on the board have played or coach sports? What sports if you have? I coach 3 sports (youth) Baseball, Football and Basketball and have done very well.

598832[/snapback]

Explain...."have done very well"......this IS youth sports we're talking. Are you one of those "winners"? If so, you're in it for the wrong reasons. I'm not even going to get into the rest of your post. Very strange.

Ok so I played football from 3rd grade on through my senior year. I played Linebacker on defense and fullback on offense. I was one of the best linebackers in my division and I was a stout fullback. I was big, strong and quick on my feet. I had great coaches and team mates.

My question is does this qualify me to coach a football team or make suggestions on how to coach a football team. NO! what my accomplishments did for me was to make me a solid football player not a coach or advisor.

Life experience, leadership ability and good communication skills to name a few are what good coaches use in their everyday lives on and off the field case in point Marv Levy. Just because someone is good at a sport / position doesn't make them a viable contender for a coaching job.

I have knowledge of football and I often offer my opinion but thats all it is My Opinion.

598832[/snapback]

I had an invitation to try out for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in 1982...didnt go cuz was waay out shape.I'm 6 1 202 w/10% Body fat.--big deal.I can throw a football 65 yards easily and im in my late 40s.

But none of this ,matters--because even an unathletic person who carefully has watched football for most of his life can understand most of it---sometimes better than the tards who played. Some of the dumbest football people ever are coaches and ex-players.

Ok so I played football from 3rd grade on through my senior year. I played Linebacker on defense and fullback on offense. I was one of the best linebackers in my division and I was a stout fullback. I was big, strong and quick on my feet. I had great coaches and team mates.

My question is does this qualify me to coach a football team or make suggestions on how to coach a football team. NO! what my accomplishments did for me was to make me a solid football player not a coach or advisor.

Life experience, leadership ability and good communication skills to name a few are what good coaches use in their everyday lives on and off the field case in point Marv Levy. Just because someone is good at a sport / position doesn't make them a viable contender for a coaching job.

I have knowledge of football and I often offer my opinion but thats all it is My Opinion.

599691[/snapback]

Excellent post. You are da man! :angry:

No where did I say that I know more then any one else. When you have people all over this board wanting to trade this person for that one or for that draft pick. Come on it starts with the players and then coaching. Look at NE's player and who would you not want on your team.

599048[/snapback]

So then go back to your original post and explain it all to us because what I read was - You are questioning peoples opinions because you do not think that they are qualified to have those opinions because they did not play the game or any sports at all.

At least that's how I understood your original post. :angry:

598832[/snapback]

I've coached softball, and managed a media relations office. Its all about getting people to believe in what you do- and that means believe in what you do as well.

As far as on the field, I've always thought that being strong up the middle is important- in football its he lines, QB's and safeties (and MLB)

in baseball catcher, pitcher, SS, 2b, and CF

basketball point guard and center

a good head coach can coach any sport, if they learn about the fundamentals. Its not hard, but you also need a lot of luck. My team went 8-0 by the way- my roster made me look like a genius, by the way....best assembly of talent in the league

played organized basketball and baseball from little leagues through highschool. Also played football in highschool and learned more about teamwork in those 4 years from my varsity coach than I could have imagined. In college played intramural basketball and now 10 years later still play in summer tournaments. Not sure if beer league softball counts as a true sport but I play that as well.

Being athletic doesnt make you an expert when it comes to commenting on sports by no means. However what it does do is teach you lessons in life that you can take with you through life. Like I said I was lucky enough to have had a coach who was a teacher and not just a loud mouth.